Nexus 4 not showing 4.2.2

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys I cannot seem to update my Nexus 4 OTA as it doesn't show up in the settings, is there anyway to force it to show?

I would prefer not using my computer to update as I am not familiar with the method and I do not wanna risk losing data if I mess up.

Reptile1990

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
You just have to wait. When google released updates, not every device gets it at the same time. A group will get the update, then another, and another. I havn't received the update yet either but just be patient. If you dont get it today, just look tomorrow, or the next day. It'll come eventually.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
You just have to wait. When google released updates, not every device gets it at the same time. A group will get the update, then another, and another. I havn't received the update yet either but just be patient. If you dont get it today, just look tomorrow, or the next day. It'll come eventually.
Thanks I was not previously aware of this.

Reptile1990

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Your welcome. The reason they do their updating the way they do is so that they dont overload their servers with everyone trying to update.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
They literally just started sending it out a few hours ago. Give it some time. If you can't wait, install it manually.

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Hey guys I cannot seem to update my Nexus 4 OTA as it doesn't show up in the settings, is there anyway to force it to show?

I would prefer not using my computer to update as I am not familiar with the method and I do not wanna risk losing data if I mess up.

If you already have the Android SDK installed, sideloading the update is easy. No risk of breaking anything.

donm527#IM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Still lame IMO... If you tell everyone there is a release then it should be available to most everyone at time of release. Guess if coming from iOS you get spoiled of simple things like that. Lame google doesn't have the capacity when apple does... And we're not talking all android either... Just jb.

If you already have the Android SDK installed, sideloading the update is easy. No risk of breaking anything.

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Still lame IMO... If you tell everyone there is a release then it should be available to most everyone at time of release. Guess if coming from iOS you get spoiled of simple things like that. Lame google doesn't have the capacity when apple does... And we're not talking all android either... Just jb.

Except that Google has not officially announced the release of 4.2.2. So, um... yeah.

williams448

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Its amazing to me how some people on here think they're so much smarter than Google engineers. If you were that spoiled, why the hell did you switch?? I think the terms iOS, and Apple should be banned from this forum. Very aggervating when the two OS are compared on a daily basis. IMO

donm527#IM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I switched because I wanted to try out a new phone and Jelly Bean. And yes when you are going to try any new platform you are going to make comparisons... good and bad. There are a lot of good parts of IOS I'd like to see in Android... and Android positives I'd like to see in IOS. calm down buddy.

Its amazing to me how some people on here think they're so much smarter than Google engineers. If you were that spoiled, why the hell did you switch?? I think the terms iOS, and Apple should be banned from this forum. Very aggervating when the two OS are compared on a daily basis. IMO

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
It IS available to everyone at the same time, if you're willing to download it on your computer and load it via SDK. Same as how you can get the iOS update through iTunes on your desktop. It's the OTA update that rolls out in batches. Also, Apple's server capacity is basically dedicated to a small set of Apple products. It does not have to also perform a billion worldwide searches every minute.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
It IS available to everyone at the same time, if you're willing to download it on your computer and load it via SDK. Same as how you can get the iOS update through iTunes on your desktop. It's the OTA update that rolls out in batches. Also, Apple's server capacity is basically dedicated to a small set of Apple products. It does not have to also perform a billion worldwide searches every minute.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Neither do Google's. The servers that handle these updates are not the servers that handle other Google products. Also, I wouldn't call over 150 million devices a 'small set', especially when compared to the Nexus line.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

KwietStorm

May 14, 2010
Visit site
my bad if Google hasn't officially released it. All the press saying that it's out gave me the impression it was.

If by press, you mean blogs and enthusiast sites, they are just normal people like you and me, reporting about reports of people receiving the update. There is no press release. Its not like 4.2.2 is even a big deal.

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
Neither do Google's. The servers that handle these updates are not the servers that handle other Google products. Also, I wouldn't call over 150 million devices a 'small set', especially when compared to the Nexus line.
You aren't getting my point. The small set is not the number of hardware Apple provides. The small set is the number of products Apple provides through the web - basically, the Apple website, the Apple store, the iTunes store, Apple's cloud services and that's about it. Google, on the other hand, has the Play Store, Google cloud services (which are much more complete and broad than Apple's), Gmail, Google Plus, and the responsibility of having to handle 70-80% of the world's searches.

The point also isn't that the same servers handle everything. The point is Apple has greater flexibility to devote more servers (or more server capacity) to iOS updates - updates for an OS and devices they insist on absolute control over - than Google for Android updates. By the way, honest question: does everyone on iOS receive an update on the exact same moment (or at least begin receiving it on the exact same moment)? If not, Apple too "rolls it out" following some sort of sequence.

sting7k

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
The OTA update just hit my N4 10 minutes ago. It will come, relax. Like everyone said, they are rolling it out.

If you want instant access at the same time as 100 million+ others you might want to check out the iPhone.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
You aren't getting my point. The small set is not the number of hardware Apple provides. The small set is the number of products Apple provides through the web - basically, the Apple website, the Apple store, the iTunes store, Apple's cloud services and that's about it. Google, on the other hand, has the Play Store, Google cloud services (which are much more complete and broad than Apple's), Gmail, Google Plus, and the responsibility of having to handle 70-80% of the world's searches.

The point also isn't that the same servers handle everything. The point is Apple has greater flexibility to devote more servers (or more server capacity) to iOS updates - updates for an OS and devices they insist on absolute control over - than Google for Android updates. By the way, honest question: does everyone on iOS receive an update on the exact same moment (or at least begin receiving it on the exact same moment)? If not, Apple too "rolls it out" following some sort of sequence.

Google has more flexibility than apple does when it comes to servers. And they serve updates to less devices.

Apple serves updates to all eligible devices at the same time. They don't do staggered rollouts or any of that nonsense.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
Google has more flexibility than apple does when it comes to servers. And they serve updates to less devices.
You say this based on what, exactly? Apple has greater market capitalization, more profits, and thus more flexibility to buy anything, including servers. Also, they have less traffic in total. I am quite certain that neither Apple nor Google just has the servers that handle OS updates sit idly by when there is no OS update going out. This in turn means server and capacity in use for something else have to be freed up and dedicated to OS updates when one is available, for the time being. It stands to reason that Apple has more wiggle room there.

Apple serves updates to all eligible devices at the same time. They don't do staggered rollouts or any of that nonsense.
Lol, okay. So what? This is how Android updates have always been. Is this... "nonsense" a dealbreaker for you? If so, why are you here? If not, chill.