Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Default Re: How are you guys coping with the crappy battery life

4.2.2 saved my battery life. Going on 13.5 hours with 18% left. No WiFi usage either. All network.

According to the SpeedTest.net app, on my HSPA+ connection, I'm averaging 60-80ms ping, 15-19MB down, and 1.3-1.6MB up. Suffice it to say I'm rather happy with that.

Global Posts
    831 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tall Mike 2145 View Post
    According to the SpeedTest.net app, on my HSPA+ connection, I'm averaging 60-80ms ping, 15-19MB down, and 1.3-1.6MB up. Suffice it to say I'm rather happy with that.
    That's better than most of the early lte networks. Lol Indy is way too saturated.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    3,266 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by Tall Mike 2145 View Post
    Actually, folks, yes it's true that shutting off a lot of the stuff you're talking about will help, but you are also missing the most obvious thing:

Shut off auto-rotate. That right there is (and has been on ever single Android phone I've ever owned or touched) the single biggest power hog of 'em all.
    Auto rotate? What's that?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Android Evangelist
    HTC Desire + Samsung Galaxy SIIx + Transformer TF101 and Prime + Nexus 4

Global Posts
    831 Global Posts

Wakelocks are most of the issues people have and overlook things like Facebook or keyboard sounds (yes keyboard sounds causes a wakelock).

Thanked by:

The screen. When you turn the phone on its side, the screen rotates around to the landscape orientation. When you shut that down, it shuts off the sensors that drive it.

Global Posts
    874 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Xoom, Nexus 4 AOKP

My battery life has been greatly improved with 4.2.2. Hardly any wake locks any more, and have finally gotten over 3 hours of screen time. I keep sync on, bt off, gps on, WiFi on, and auto brightness all the time. Now my N4 is better than my old GNex with the 2100 MaH batter with Verizon LTE. I was lucky to get 3 hours on that phone, and would only happen when on WiFi all day.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How are you guys coping with the crappy battery life-screenshot_2013-02-16-01-07-04-1-.png   How are you guys coping with the crappy battery life-screenshot_2013-02-16-01-07-17-1-.png  

Global Posts
    3,266 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by chubb View Post
    My battery life has been greatly improved with 4.2.2. Hardly any wake locks any more, and have finally gotten over 3 hours of screen time. I keep sync on, bt off, gps on, WiFi on, and auto brightness all the time. Now my N4 is better than my old GNex with the 2100 MaH batter with Verizon LTE. I was lucky to get 3 hours on that phone, and would only happen when on WiFi all day.
    it's the GPS that's killing you. Toggle that when you don't need it and you will add a lot more juice.

Android Evangelist
    HTC Desire + Samsung Galaxy SIIx + Transformer TF101 and Prime + Nexus 4

Global Posts
    6,907 Global Posts
    ROM
    Wicked Sensations

A lot of people that I play Ingress with carry around an external battery pack (and I usually do too). They come in all sorts of sizes and shapes. Their screens are on all of the time, WiFi, Data, GPS all on. It's not an ideal solution for everyone, but I think it's a pretty good investment. You can find 10,000mA packs for about $60, which is about 4-5 complete charges.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel

Look how quickly mine went down this morning - I took if off charge, turned the screen off, and, within about two hours, media server took up 70% of battery drainage and drained my phone from 100% battery to 60%. I then updated my OS to 4.2.2 and the unnecessary battery drainage has reduced greatly.

The media server percentage is now going down as the proportions even out. I hope it's better now. You can see exactly where I updated the OS, although I did play some games before taking the screenshots, so the dip at the end of the graph is expected.

I didn't have a problem with my battery life until this morning. My phone has always lasted me all day, which is all I need.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How are you guys coping with the crappy battery life-phone-2.jpg   How are you guys coping with the crappy battery life-phone.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    A lot of people that I play Ingress with carry around an external battery pack (and I usually do too). They come in all sorts of sizes and shapes. Their screens are on all of the time, WiFi, Data, GPS all on. It's not an ideal solution for everyone, but I think it's a pretty good investment. You can find 10,000mA packs for about $60, which is about 4-5 complete charges.
    Eveready has some that are credit card size, but about 3/16" thick. I'll carry one when I am on vacation and taking a lot of pictures and movies.

To the original question about battery life, my Nexus 4 has been fine. It last all day without a problem. I don't install a lot of applications or music. I've installed, Amazon application store, Amazon MP3 cloud service, Air France, Flickr, MLB at bat, notepad and TuneIn radio pro.

Global Posts
    874 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Xoom, Nexus 4 AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by badbrad17 View Post
    it's the GPS that's killing you. Toggle that when you don't need it and you will add a lot more juice.

Yeah I know that is the worst to leave on. But its a pain to turn it on and off multiple times a day, I like to just leave it on.

I've never had this phone die on me during the day. Battery life was fine for me before, but it is now great for my standards.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    what exactly is detrimental? how am i suffering? what am i missing?
    I couldn't tell you. That was a general statement. It depends on what you need and what your phone setup is.

Quote Originally Posted by nrm5110 View Post
    No JD is actually a bandaid it doesn't attack the problem.

I disagree. Radio management is what many members have been discussing, that's what JD does.

I get over four hours screen on time and that's with 12 hours off the charger with it. It does work.

It won't help if there is app leakage or a system drainage problem, but it does fix radio management.

Global Posts
    1,035 Global Posts

Arrrg, where's the fun if you do all this??
    shofa likes this.

Unless you're coming from a RAZR maxx, I don't see how this has crappy battery life. I get 16 to 18 hours easily. The only things I disabled were things I don't use (currents, play movie, play magazines, etc). I keep Bluetooth, GPS, and WiFi off when not in use. WiFi and Bluetooth are easily toggled via quick settings and I have a NFC tag in my car for GPS.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    Thanked by:
    TvTechGuru likes this.

ROM
    CM 9.1

I'm very surprised nobody mentioned this but..

When I first activated my N4 I went to the zoo and took many many, HDR pictures within the span of a couple hours. When I got to the car I saw my battery almost dead (was also using Google maps to get there and back). I then realized what the problem was, I had instant upload turned on. For google+ AND for dropbox.

Those were huge killers, so now I just have them set to upload when I'm only wifi and plugged in. My battery life is great, no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Chimpware View Post
    I had pretty terrible battery life, but when I looked into it it was being caused by Notes Traveler for Lotus Notes. I changed the synch from continuous to every 15 minutes and that gave me a 50% improvement in the battery life. If anyone has Notes Traveler take a look at the synch settings. Also shows how one app trying to synch continuously can cause a significant issue. Had normal use yesterday and ran for 16 hours with 3 hours screen time and had 25% left when I put it back on the charger. Not stupendous battery life, but very useable now.
    Lotus notes kills every phone I've had

4.2.2 helped I think

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How are you guys coping with the crappy battery life-uploadfromtaptalk1361174684348.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    i suffer no hardships doing this -

Battery Tips for Android

1. Toggle off LTE, WIFI, GPS, BT, NFC, Hotspot. Toggle on as needed.
    2. Display Brightness - Turn off Auto Brightness and Reduce Setting Bar to Minimum.
    3. Sign out of Google Latitude, GTalk, G+, Google Now, and Messenger. Disable Location Reporting/History.
    4. Beware of constantly syncing Apps and Bloatware like Facebook, Twitter, News, Non-Push Email, etc. Set Sync interval for every 1 hour or more.
    5. Turn off keyboard haptic feedback.
    6. Don't use Live Wallpaper. Use dark wallpaper if possible.
    7. Set Display Sleep Setting to 2 Minutes or Less.
    8. Set WIFI to Always stay on during Sleep if you regularly use WIFI.
    9. Turn off vibrate for Emails.
    10. Be careful of using too many live widgets.
    11. Sync Exchange Emails 30 Days or less.
    12. Do NOT use a Task Killer App.
    I think if I switched even one of those off I'd forget which it was and probably that I'd even done it!

What would be helpful for scatter brains like me would be some kind of macro app that could switch all these, or a user defined selection, on and off with the touch of one button on the home screen. The button's state could show if your personal selection is on or off (from green to red for example). Simple things like that make using a phone easier and would extend battery life considerably without having to recall what you switched off and where to switch it back on again!

This is what I do...

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Marten View Post
    I think if I switched even one of those off I'd forget which it was and probably that I'd even done it!

What would be helpful for scatter brains like me would be some kind of macro app that could switch all these, or a user defined selection, on and off with the touch of one button on the home screen. The button's state could show if your personal selection is on or off (from green to red for example). Simple things like that make using a phone easier and would extend battery life considerably without having to recall what you switched off and where to switch it back on again!
    Look into these options, they can all handle that in slightly different ways : Tasker, any Toggle app, Juice Defender.

Thanked by:

Global Posts
    30 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hodan View Post
    Thanks for the tip. But don't worry, no one has this "Lotus Notes" you speak of.
    Wish I were one of those people

Global Posts
    30 Global Posts

4.2.2 seems to have improved the situation further for me. Loaded it last night and this morning after 6 hours off the charger with reasonable use, 1 1/2 hours of screen time, I am at 70%.

N4 at an idle, stock 4.2.1 no gaming, only 1.5 hrs sot, WiFi on-always, sync on, NFC on, location on, GPS access on.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How are you guys coping with the crappy battery life-uploadfromtaptalk1361219349060.jpg   How are you guys coping with the crappy battery life-uploadfromtaptalk1361219366667.jpg   How are you guys coping with the crappy battery life-uploadfromtaptalk1361219379345.jpg  
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast