Nexus 4 after VZ LTE are you happy with HSPA+ data speed on ATT?

danlintz

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
I have to retire a half dead Thuderbolt which has an unlimited data account. (have 3 in the family)

Love to get a Nexus 4 with current OS updating etc. but that would put me on ATT most likely with strait talk and loose the unlimited data forever.

Those of you that left a 4g phone on VZ miss the LTE speeds now that you have a Nexus 4 on HSPA+ speeds?

Sick of VZ BS but no going back to unlimited if I leave.

Thanks!

ibbyj

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I literally just left att because I was unhappy with speeds. Averaged about 1.5 down.

Now look... This is on T-Mobile, chicagoland.

70 a month, unlimited 4g no throttle.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1360888351084.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1360888351084.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 157

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I was not at all happy with AT&T on ST, so I switched to Tmo and I love it. I notice no difference in browser speed from my LTE GNex and the N4 is way faster in every other way.

Root Beer1

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
How do you switch? I'm not familiar with ST and frankly am scared of it after reading their T&C. You can't stream ANYTHING, you owe them your firstborn, etc. But there's no contract so I might try it when I get my new N4.

I was not at all happy with AT&T on ST, so I switched to Tmo and I love it. I notice no difference in browser speed from my LTE GNex and the N4 is way faster in every other way.

runtmms

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
How do you switch? I'm not familiar with ST and frankly am scared of it after reading their T&C. You can't stream ANYTHING, you owe them your firstborn, etc. But there's no contract so I might try it when I get my new N4.

If you're looking for a T-Mobile MVNO alternative to ST you might consider Solavei. I've been happy with them.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

johnprevite

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I switched from VZW to the Nexus 4 on ST. Not missing the speed. But coverage was a bit better with verizon. Obviously this could be the complete opposite for you depending on where you live.

Root Beer1

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
I read your comment on ripoff report earlier today. I have yet to see any impartial or truly helpful info in that thread. You got the one guy who seems hell-bent on destroying them, and you've got the people saying it's great but it turns out they're trying to sell it (not necessarily directly but at least through their links/sig lines). The only impartial person I saw seems to have no opinion. So I'm waiting until I get more solid info from an impartial reviewer or something. I'm very much a wait-and-see kind of person (as evidenced by the fact that I haven't even purchased the N7 yet!) That has served me well in the past. Visions of Melaleuca and Amway come to mind. Overpriced, crappy products. I'll wait.

runtmms

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I read your comment on ripoff report earlier today. I have yet to see any impartial or truly helpful info in that thread. You got the one guy who seems hell-bent on destroying them, and you've got the people saying it's great but it turns out they're trying to sell it (not necessarily directly but at least through their links/sig lines). The only impartial person I saw seems to have no opinion. So I'm waiting until I get more solid info from an impartial reviewer or something. I'm very much a wait-and-see kind of person (as evidenced by the fact that I haven't even purchased the N7 yet!) That has served me well in the past. Visions of Melaleuca and Amway come to mind. Overpriced, crappy products. I'll wait.

If that was directed at me, I've never posted at ripoff report.

I don't know if you consider CNET impartial, but they recently did a write up on Solavei.

http://m.cnet.com/news/solavei-offers-unlimited-no-contract-phone-service-for-$49-per-month/57567902

My own decision to go with them was based strictly on numbers and features. They offer more for less than T-Mobile prepaid does directly (if you need more than 100 minutes), and based on reviews I was never going with ST. In my mind the sign up thing is just a bonus.

But that's why there are different choices out there. We can all pick the plan we're happy with.

A couple of friends of mine have N7s. If you're in the market for a 7" device it is just beautiful.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site

That gives them an 'out' to throttle or cancel your service if they feel your overtaxing the local towers. Most people report that keeping your data use under 2gb/month 100mb/day keeps you off their radar, but it is a crap shoot.

ibbyj

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Yuck, looks like I spoke too soon.

T-Mobile data speed is 200% better than AT&T's was for me... everywhere. Except for work. I walk into this building and viola, I have zero bars.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site

I don't think it really matters what other's opinions are. The beauty of this unlocked phone is that it's cheap and easy to try them for yourself. Go with ST for on month then switch to tmo for the next.

minnemike

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I would say first of all, Tmo should be the choice if you get good coverage in your area. Compared to Verizon LTE, I doubt you will ever notice a difference with download speed. On average, you are talking a few mbs difference. You might notice a difference if you have monster upload needs, and honestly, that would be about .086% of the population.