Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Default Re: 4.2.2 and battery life

Quote Originally Posted by Lanhoj View Post
    On 4.2.1 I'd get 8hrs of pretty heavy use.
    With 4.2.2 I get 12hrs.

It's no Razr Maxx, but I'm still quite pleased.
    +100000 totally true... my battery improved as well. my battery now drains nearly half when idle.. longer standby time and seem to have improved when on use as well.

I see exactly opposite, my battery life is atrocious on the GNex. In 4 hours 3 mins I am already at 60%. Screen is taking 41% of that and is on auto brightness. Usage, couple of short calls, mostly on 3G, some streaming music from play music, checking facebook, twitter couple of times. I have all networking options on, 3G, wifi, bluetooth, nfc etc. Wifi is on never sleep
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #28  

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts

How many hours of screen time are you guys getting? After the update I can barely get 2hrs!

Standby time is not an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by VertigoM View Post
    How many hours of screen time are you guys getting? After the update I can barely get 2hrs!

Standby time is not an issue.
    I was getting around 2-2.5 before update. Now I'm getting 3-3.5 after update.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #30  

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts

I believe my problem lies with mobile data. When I'm on Wifi I get acceptable battery drain but as soon as I get on mobile data my battery drops like a rock. I mean as bad as 15% in 5 minutes!

I didn't get official 4.2.2 update yet!!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

I just noticed my battery life on Nexus 4 improved with this update. I'm a heavy user and so far today I've had my device on for 5hrs with almost 2 hours on screen time and I'm at 70%

My battery life is about the same, I haven't seen any noticeable difference.

Today after 3 hours and 47 minutes, I'm at 57%. I do have a lot of stuff running all the time: Tweetings push notifications, 3 Gmail accounts, 1 Active Sync account. I have Sensorly mapping from time to time (although this is a new addition in the past 2 weeks that did not change my battery life noticeably). I run Spotify during my commute to and from work, with A2DP, not many calls, but SMS are common (Chomp SMS turns screen on when new SMS arrives). I use MightyText often, so I'm not always reading or typing SMSs on the phone with the screen on. I also use Instagram often and Facebook from time to time, with some pictures here and there (and sharing them to Instagram and/or Twitter). I have accepted that battery life with my usage is never great. I had a 4S before and my battery life was about the same, so I think the Nexus 4 does a good job.

The only downside to the N4 is that it takes much longer to charge than the 4S did, but I still would take it any day over iOS.

This is the first day I used 4.2.2. My battery life would usually die at about 4:30 but today it lasted till 6:30. I start using my phone at about 8Am

tgp

Global Posts
    1,764 Global Posts

Mine seems to have better battery life after the 4.2.2 update. I'm still trying to decide if it's a placebo effect. Numbers don't lie though; I now can get over 4 hours of screen time. Before the update I was doing good to get 3.

I'm hoping to see similar improvement. I just installed 4.2.2 today, will post numbers tomorrow night...

Quote Originally Posted by tgp View Post
    Mine seems to have better battery life after the 4.2.2 update. I'm still trying to decide if it's a placebo effect. Numbers don't lie though; I now can get over 4 hours of screen time. Before the update I was doing good to get 3.

I just noticed my battery life dramatically increased with 4.2.2. 10.5 hrs off charger, freaking 40% left. And I have not been gentle with my N4 today: GPS and syncing turned on, much of the day spent on weak WiFi, lots of BT audio streaming.

Quote Originally Posted by Small_law View Post
    I just noticed my battery life dramatically increased with 4.2.2. 10.5 hrs off charger, freaking 40% left. And I have not been gentle with my N4 today: GPS and syncing turned on, much of the day spent on weak WiFi, lots of BT audio streaming.
    4.2.2 is like a miracle update. i had 1.5 hrs screen time. 59 min on GPS(it drains a lot of battery) still got 2 days without a problem.

Default It improve the battery life significantly

Before 4.2.2, Android OS takes a lot of battery. After updating, Android OS only take a small part of battery.

It may be related with the bug of sleep on non-wifi condition.

Global Posts
    27 Global Posts

Default Re: It improve the battery life significantly

4.2.2 has made a huge improvement for me. 70% remaining after 13 hours 45 minutes off the charger, Wifi and Data on, BT for a few minutes and no GPS and a little over 1 hour of screen time and a bunch of texts and a couple of calls. That is the same or better than my iPhone 4s was getting so I am very happy now.

Default Re: It improve the battery life significantly

battery life improved largely, now I'm sitting on 15hrs with 36% screen time and am at 43% battery. Couldn't be happier.

Yep big improvement here. I would normally be 25% or less after lunch at work which equal ts to about 10hours off charger and 2hours of screen on time. Now I'm at 55% and about 1hr 45mins of screen on time in the same period

I don't know why I keep repeating myself here; I feel like a broken record. Turn off auto-rotation and you'll see a significant jump in battery runtime.

Quote Originally Posted by Tall Mike 2145 View Post
    I don't know why I keep repeating myself here; I feel like a broken record. Turn off auto-rotation and you'll see a significant jump in battery runtime.
    Downloading the auto rotate off when the screen is off app and also turning auto rotate completely off did nothing for me.

Default 4.2.2 and battery life

The only thing that iOS has done better (though this is a relative statement what with the debacle that was iOS 5 and maybe even iOS 6) is to be a good automatic manager of power consumption on the device. I can remember the iPhone 4s (not the 4S) going up to a week between charges. The 4S was always a power hog, though I understand it got better with successive releases of iOS 5. I haven't heard very much about iOS 6 and the iPhone 5 because, honestly, almost all of the people I know either have iPhone 4s, 4Ss, or Android devices.
    I agree with this statement having been an iPhone 4 user until a couple of weeks ago (now n4 user), love my new phone just need to address poor battery life which I have to say is quite shocking.

That's interesting. First time I have heard of this. Will give it a go. I actually dislike the auto-rotation, but never bothered to turn it off
    HTC One 32GB (silver), Nexus 4 16GB, iPhone 4s 16GB, Nexus 7 16GB

Quote Originally Posted by dafe01 View Post
    I agree with this statement having been an iPhone 4 user until a couple of weeks ago (now n4 user), love my new phone just need to address poor battery life which I have to say is quite shocking.
    In general, Android phones have had worse runtimes than their iPhone counterparts. The kind of offsetting factors have been that a given manufacturer will give you a larger battery or a given device just wasn't a power hog. Notwithstanding how mainstream they have become since 2010, they have been a more enthusiast-oriented device, and that means it's kind of expected that the owner will want to tinker with it (alter settings, root it, etc.)

Shutting down anything you're not using, keeping the screen's brightness managed, short times before idle/standby, and the like have always been the key to getting the maximum amount of runtime out of an Android-based phone. And frankly the N4 is nowhere near the power hog that my EVO was. I *had* to buy an extended-capacity battery for it because no settings adjustment or recompiled ROM could give me more than about 8 - 10 hours of life.

Of course, the trade-off you make in giving up your freedom physically and legally on an iPhone can be a bitter pill for a lot of people.

I've noticed a significant improvement since I got 4.2.2 a day or so ago. Before then the OS was always the top battery hog and I would go from 100% to 60% over night while I (and the phone) was asleep.
    Checked today and the phone has been 12 hours 34 minutes since it's last charge and the battery is on 93%!!! The OS, which used to pretty much always hog the top spot in battery usage at around 50% has now dropped to 5th place and a more realistic 11%.

Good job Google.

I too have noticed a good improvement on battery life. The android OS takes a lot less battery now. Plus the standby drainage has also improved.
    Zee

Global Posts
    620 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 17veen View Post
    I too have noticed a good improvement on battery life. The android OS takes a lot less battery now. Plus the standby drainage has also improved.
    Yeah same here. Seems like when the phone is idle (screen off) it's very little battery drain. I used to put my phone into airplane mode at night to save battery, now I don't bother since it's basically just trickle drain when doing nothing.
    A proud former Nexus 4 Limbo level-2 member
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast