4.2.2 and battery life

Doc Marten

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Can people tell me how they are getting such great battery? Do you play games? Facebook and Twitter on? Wifi always on? Please enlighten the rest of us.

Wifi on always. GPS location always on. Mobile network location always on. All apps updates/syncs on default. Don't use Facebook or Twitter. I play War Pinball and Dead Space about +/- hour a day. Live wallpaper - Paperland Pro. Watch a fair bit of youtube and browse the net and since the update it's transformed my battery life. 1 day 11 hours - 60% battery.

I used to go from 100% to 60% battery overnight while I was asleep with the OS taking the bulk of that. My OS battery usage appears to have plummeted since the update.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I wish I knew why my N$ will drop fro charged to 97% from unplugging to driving five minutes away. It does this everyday and has since the day I got it. 12 hours layer it's at 73% with 15 minutes display use. My N& went three hours before it dropped to 99%. I didn't get to use the phone much last night other than to call a few people so calls were at 15%.

I still only charge it once a day so I guess it's OK.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I use my Nexus 4 on Friday through Sunday, since I do not use as much battery as during the week. I usually swap my SIM on Sunday night and put it in a desk drawer charged up. Before 4.2.2 when I would pull it out on Thursday Night to put the SIM in it, it would have lost significant battery while turned off. It would lose 5 to 10% of battery per day!

When I pulled it out last night to put my SIM in, the battery was at 96%. This was since Sunday Night when it was fully charged. I do not know if this translates to battery battery life overall (I suspect it does) but they certainly did something to the power management system in 4.2.2!

skidmark

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
4.2.2 has greatly improved battery life and corrected the android os wake lock issue for me. Previously it would be at 50-60% and now it is at 11%

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

royalpig180

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Also I've noticed turning off things like sync BT Google now has very minimal effects on battery. The big drains really are GPS and if connected to WiFi it saves a lot of battery. You are going to spend more of your battery time checking on it then u would if you just used your phone.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

I found that disabling Google Now had a huge effect on my battery life. Night and day, like an extra hour of screen time.

Rizy7

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Dumb question, how do you know your screen time?

When you go into battery that shows a graph of your battery over time and then the apps that have been using up your battery. Just click on screen and it will show your screen on time

I managed to get 6 hours+ on my last charge with still 8% left. Pretty impressive. I think theyve fixed the wakelock issue quite a bit..

DeadpoolJunior

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Whoa, are you guys serious right now? I'm running CM 10.1 with Franco Kernel and right now I'm on 1hr On Time, 5.5 hours since unplugged, and 70% which is pretty decent in my opinion since its 3pm where i'm at and this should get me through till at least 9pm or later. Yesterday I finished with 3hrs even just about and 14hrs overall I think because I forgot to check it. But the life you guys are reporting seems amazing.

Wondering if I should go back to stock now. I still deal with some performance hiccups with Franco kernel r62 (because r83 was AWFUL on battery life..Google Services kept draining my battery somehow and when I reverted back to r62 it was fine again). And in general I felt I should never have to flash another ROM again when I bought this Nexus but I felt I had to because of the awful battery life. But if 4.2.2 is as good as you guys are saying, perhaps I will go back and flash stock and see how things go. I miss the pure smoothness of stock over everything else I get with a custom ROM. Backing up my apps with carbon back up now. I'll flash the images, but still root it afterwards just so I can use certain apps. Gonna keep things stock if battery life is as great as majority of you all are reporting.

EDIT: Furthermore, I see a lot of you stating that Android OS has gone down for you but this has never been the main drain for me. For me, its been the mediaserver wakelock and google services. Has this been addressed or have any of you ever experienced this? Screen is the biggest drain, but its always media server right after for me. As of right now Android OS is only 6%.

I'm thinking it may be my files but everytime I put music on my phone from my computer a message pops up saying something along the lines of "this file may not be able to be played, proceed anyway?" does that for all my music.

Last edited:

maxod

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
I wish I knew why my N$ will drop fro charged to 97% from unplugging to driving five minutes away. It does this everyday and has since the day I got it. 12 hours layer it's at 73% with 15 minutes display use. My N& went three hours before it dropped to 99%. I didn't get to use the phone much last night other than to call a few people so calls were at 15%.

I still only charge it once a day so I guess it's OK.

You should try powering off (long hold power button, then press power off) and restart it again.

DeadpoolJunior

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
OK, here we go guys. So I flashed back to 100% stock, no root or anything. As a test I left the phone off the charger all night to see how well the phone idles and it's been pretty decent. 5hrs idled, 2% battery loss with WiFi on all night. Dunno how to take that but it seems good enough. My main concern has always been the on screen time though and how it handles the eventual media server wake lock I get. So far I've been playing around with it and typing this post and when I turned the phone on it was 85% (I went to sleep with it at 87%) and right now it's at 80% after "using" it for about 12mins straight. In my opinion, that's not that great but we'll see how the day pans out.

Gonna charge it to 100% and go about my day like I normally would with work for 9hrs and not much use and see what it's like when I get home. So far I'm expecting it to be a tad worse than Franco but about what I would get before I went with Franco kernel anyway.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Tall Mike 2145

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Here's mine:

screenshot2013022223211.png

flowmaster9

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
My battery life has improved significantly. I used to get ~3hrs on screen time. And the Maps bug is gone now (it used to be a battery hog despite disabling every single location reporting setting etc, and even if i didn't open Maps)

8499814587_b33ea66091_z.jpg

8499814259_d70dd93b84_z.jpg

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Mine dropped to 80% after six hours with 6 minutes of screen time. It usually drops 3-4% the first 5 minutes after unplugging from the charger. I reset the phone without downloading anything and left it sitting over night at 68%. Woke up and it wouldn't turn on. Held the power button to get to to restart and it was at 48%. Not sure how losing 20% with nothing running but the phone is possible

Wireless Gadget

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Mine dropped to 80% after six hours with 6 minutes of screen time. It usually drops 3-4% the first 5 minutes after unplugging from the charger. I reset the phone without downloading anything and left it sitting over night at 68%. Woke up and it wouldn't turn on. Held the power button to get to to restart and it was at 48%. Not sure how losing 20% with nothing running but the phone is possible

IMO, check the icon on the right of the home icon, it displays recent apps accessed, you may have apps running in the background. Simply swipe them off the list to remove. Also for all running the display at 100%...why as this is a battery drain. I'm running 4.2.1 still, I have my radio on 2G, works well with Google maps. I have also both the Phone Info - Test screen and the mobile network settings accessible on my recent apps so I can quickly toggle on or off the settings. I also have my Wi-fi connected. I'm at 66% and currently running the battery guru from Qualcomm.

xstinkyx

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Lately I've been using the charging Orb at work so I'm at 100% when I leave, using the N4 a lot in the evening, and then having 20%+ by the time I go to bed.

Last night I was a little under 30% when I "plugged it in" at 3am and slept. Around 9:15am I was doing some web browsing and texting with it still "plugged in" only to notice that I was down to about 20%. The plug was never fully plugged into my extension cord! Oops. Anyhow, it let me see a little how the battery behaves in the 4.2.2 world. I think the drop off would have been greater after 6 hours of idleness in 4.2.1.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-02-23-09-24-02.png
    Screenshot_2013-02-23-09-24-02.png
    114.6 KB · Views: 25

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I found that disabling Google Now had a huge effect on my battery life. Night and day, like an extra hour of screen time.

I tried running yesterday with it disabled but it didn't do anything for my battery life

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae