Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts

Default 4.2.2 and battery life

For all those who are running 4.2.2, does the update significantly improve battery life?

This is the main thing I'm looking forward to.

Default Re: 4.2.2 and battery life

just got it a few hours ago... haven't really noticed a difference. I'll test it out tomorrow and let you know what I get.

Global Posts
    1,412 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

It's only been a day, but Better Battery Stats is showing that it's going into Deep Sleep at a much higher percentage than before, even with faux kernels. Idle drain seems improved, but according to faux, they haven't fixed the HSIC stuff that's causing wakelock hell on non-wifi connections.
    "The Nexus 5 is such a big black slab of power that if you dropped it down in the middle of a pack of monkeys, they'd start using weapons." - Dirk Belligerent.
    Devices: 32GB Nexus 5, 16GB Nexus 7 (2013), 16GB Nexus 7, 16GB Nexus 4, ASUS Transformer TF101, Kindle Fire, HP TouchPad (CM7), Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch Long Name Phone, HTC EVO 4G, Palm Pre, 64GB 1st gen iPad WiFi

Quote Originally Posted by DirkBelig View Post
    It's only been a day, but Better Battery Stats is showing that it's going into Deep Sleep at a much higher percentage than before, even with faux kernels. Idle drain seems improved, but according to faux, they haven't fixed the HSIC stuff that's causing wakelock hell on non-wifi connections.
    Are those issues correctable with kernels or whatnot? I'm a nooooobieeee with all that.
    Thanked by:
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts

Unless there is a significant improvement to battery life I don't see a reason to update and give up LTE.
    mhinc likes this.
    Zee

Global Posts
    622 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VertigoM View Post
    Unless there is a significant improvement to battery life I don't see a reason to update and give up LTE.
    It's easy to get LTE back by flashing the previous radio.
    A proud former Nexus 4 Limbo level-2 member
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts

Yes but some people have reported issues with running old radio on 4.2.2.

Global Posts
    7 Global Posts

Much happier with idle battery life on the nexus 4!!!

Global Posts
    92 Global Posts

YES! I noticed a massive improvement in idle battery use as well!

For all those who are running 4.2.2, does the update significantly improve battery life?

This is the main thing I'm looking forward to.
    I've noticed a vast improvement in battery life. Usually I get around 2.5 he's screen on time on 3g only. Today so far I've got 1 hour screen time and still at 75%

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by ryanr509 View Post
    I've noticed a vast improvement in battery life. Usually I get around 2.5 he's screen on time on 3g only. Today so far I've got 1 hour screen time and still at 75%

I'm having a similar experience. On 3G i would get a maximum of around 3 hours of screen time . My stats currently are unplugged for 9hrs, screen time of 1 hr 40 mins and battery is at 73%. Also, for the first time ever voice calls have a higher battery % use than screen time,that's with 20mins of being on calls. It is at 25% and screen is 23% on auto brightness. Feels like a substantial increase in battery life!
    Posted from my Nexus 4

Right now at 6 hours, 17 minutes, and 28 seconds from the last charge, I'm at 62% remaining, and that's with four phone calls, several text messages, GPS navigation to a friend's house, some web surfing, and playing a YouTube video.

Here's what's off: WiFi, Bluetooth, NFC, Auto-Rotate.
    Chat/Social Media Apps: FB, FB Messenger.

Not sure how this compares to anyone else's experiences, but if anyone has any more specific questions, or wants to share anything, feel free.

Definitely a noticeable improvement in idle time.

Darth Spock likes this.

I'm pleased with the battery life so far. I'm coming from a nexus s 4g. I love this phone. I've been on my phone all day, which I normally don't do. Just setting it up. But I'm happy.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4.2.2 and battery life-uploadfromtaptalk1361075405335.jpg   4.2.2 and battery life-uploadfromtaptalk1361075449636.jpg  

The only thing that iOS has done better (though this is a relative statement what with the debacle that was iOS 5 and maybe even iOS 6) is to be a good automatic manager of power consumption on the device. I can remember the iPhone 4s (not the 4S) going up to a week between charges. The 4S was always a power hog, though I understand it got better with successive releases of iOS 5. I haven't heard very much about iOS 6 and the iPhone 5 because, honestly, almost all of the people I know either have iPhone 4s, 4Ss, or Android devices.

Quote Originally Posted by jab0321 View Post
    YES! I noticed a massive improvement in idle battery use as well!
    What this guy said thumbs up

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    PhoneJunkie

Iphone 5s
    HTC One (M8)
    Nexus 5

Sold (HTC One X, iPhone 4s, Ipad Mini, Galaxy S3, and S4 LG Optimus G Pro)

Global Posts
    606 Global Posts
    ROM
    CodeName 3.3

I noticed it too off charger for 15 hours with moderate use and was at 16% and that was with about 3 hours screen on time.

Global Posts
    806 Global Posts

Well, but giving up LTE will almost by definition improve your battery life, since LTE in and of itself is a drain on battery. But since I never used LTE on this phone, I can categorically say that under similar usage, battery life has in fact improved quite a bit for me. Much of that is due to much smaller battery drain while the phone is idle, that is also true.

I never had a problem with idle battery life. It's watching the percentage drop by the minute when in use that's been the issue, and no, there was no change with the update.

msndrstood likes this.
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts

I just got a whopping 1.5hr screen on time on my last charge after updating! WTH?? Is something corrupted on my phone?

Global Posts
    806 Global Posts

I just got a whopping 1.5hr screen on time on my last charge after updating! WTH?? Is something corrupted on my phone?
    Just what were you doing with the screen on? If your phone was on navigation, for example, then GPS also drains your battery, and faster.

This is what weekends look like for me. No data, a couple calls, and a little bit of browsing. I usually do more with the phone, but I'm sure I wouldn't have gotten this much out of it before the update.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4.2.2 and battery life-screenshot_2013-02-17-11-39-25.png  

An almost impossible improvement for me. On standby, battery stays the same for hours.

the battery life on my N4 has improved 10 fold. I got 25 hrs of use (light use) and only 25% battery consumption.

let me be clear 24 hrs of use and I still has 75% battery available. since I have had my N4 I couldn't go 24 hrs and have even 50% avail doing nothing.

this update has made this battery issue non existent. if you want to improve your battery life do the update.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

On 4.2.1 I'd get 8hrs of pretty heavy use.
    With 4.2.2 I get 12hrs.

It's no Razr Maxx, but I'm still quite pleased.
    yfan and Darth Spock like this.
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast