Can't Create Folders from Windows Explorer

GarrickW

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
So I'm trying to transfer some files from my MP3 collection to my Nexus 4, and while I can transfer the files all right (from my Windows 7 laptop), I can't create a new, tidy folder for my MP3 collection. Whenever I try to create a folder on the Nexus 4's internal storage, I get an "Error Creating Folder" message saying "The device has either stopped responding or has been disconnected." Neither seems to be true, as I can still transfer tiles to the phone without issue. However, there are only a tiny handful of folders already present, none of which are nicely titled for MP3s.

The phone is connected in Camera (PTP) mode, connecting it in MTP mode makes it disappear entirely from Windows Explorer. I am peripherally aware of some issues with USB debugging and MTP not working simultaneously, but as I develop apps on this phone as well, I don't want to constantly have to reinstall the correct driver to either transfer files or develop. Is the debugging-MTP incompatibility a common problem, and is there a workaround?

Any ideas on what else might be wrong, and how I can go about creating a proper folder for my MP3s?

Last edited:

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I have no problems making new folders from win 7 pc, though I'm pretty sure that I copied/pasted folders that I had already made on the pc to the phone. Have you tried rebooting both the phone and the pc?

GarrickW

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
Hm, well, copying a pre-existing folder from my PC into the DCIM folder actually does work! Copying it into higher-level folders does not, however. Still, my music player finds the folder by default, so that's good enough for me. Thanks!

alanrew

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae