Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree82Likes

ROM
    Stock Xoom, Nexus 4 AOKP

Default Re: So is the Nexus 4 the best android phone?

Yes it is the best pure Android phone out. I prefer quick updates, no bloat, no skins, pure Android. Way better battery life than the LTE Nexus I had. I could never get more than 14 hours on that with the 2100 mah extended battery. It is quick and responsive, even with project butter my GNex would stutter at times and lag. Screen is very nice, whites are white again, and no blue ghosting that the GNex samoled had. Storage is fine for me, I have a 16 GB. I have about 300 of my most listened to songs, about 20 of my must have apps, and still have 9.3 GB left. On my 32 GB Nexus I never had more than 14 GB full. It is also very light, but I think balanced well. Sound from the speaker is ok at best. But at $299/349 off contract it can't be beat. But it is not a phone for everyone. Sometimes cutting edge has it downside. Sometimes things get broken, some apps are not updated quickly. Lack of LTE, micro sd, and non removable battery are dealbreakers for some, and if they are, you have dozens of other options out there. At the end of the day, buy the phone that appeals to you. I know there are phones out there with better specs, but I know that pure stock, and quick updates are way more important to me than anything else.
    Thanked by:
    Darth Spock likes this.

Global Posts
    808 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Quinn View Post
    Yeah but you didn't address Sense and Touchwiz being closed source, which is polar opposite of Android.

GAPPS are also closed source, yes, and not having them is a big deal. Who cares if it's Android or not if it doesn't have the Play Store?
    So wait. Adding one set of closed source stuff on top of Android (GAPPS) still makes it Android, but adding another set (Touchwiz) disqualifies it? Alright then, carry on...

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    808 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ultravisitor View Post
    Vic Gundotra himself has referred to the Galaxy S3 as being an "Android-based" phone.

I think I'll defer to him.
    Mhm. But Android Central lists the Galaxy S3 under Android phones in this forum. So if we're going to use appeal to authority as our debate tactic, we can keep going. And please provide context, which is everything. I rather doubt that Vic Gundotra distinguished the GS3 from the Nexus line along the lines of Android vs. Android based.

Once again, in the context of this thread, it is patently clear that the OP is asking about both stock Android and other Android phones.

Quote Originally Posted by msavic6 View Post
    The battery is only 16% larger yet the battery can last easily 50% more then the nexus 4. If you use the razr HD throughout the day you can get upwards of 5 hours screen on time on the RAZR. Some people with galaxy nexus' are able to also hit 4 hours screen on time, I consider anything under 5 hours screen in time poor.
    I just came from gnex on att and would get around 2.5-3 screen on time. I think with most of the top end androids that I think 3 would be a good average. 5 is high. 2 would be low
    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    50% more? I get 4 hours screen on time on my nexus 4 on 3 g only. I've had a lot of android handsets and most of them were around 3hrs of screen on time. If anything under 5 hours is poor then u have high expectations. The only phones I know that come close to that would be the RAZR HD and maxx HD and galaxy note 2.

Darth Spock likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by zmann View Post
    I had a evo lte and my note 2 blows that thing to pieces. Multi screen no gimmick. I also watch movies and surf these forums and fb at the same time. The magic that is the s pen I could not quickly explain here but it really is outstanding.

Note 2, it's true, ,size is everything!
    The one thing I don't like about the note 2 is the size.... But that s-pen is something really nice. Too nice to ignore . I'm considering the note 2, but i wanna see the s4 first.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2
    Darth Spock likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tayman52 View Post
    The one thing I don't like about the note 2 is the size.... But that s-pen is something really nice. Too nice to ignore . I'm considering the note 2, but i wanna see the s4 first.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2
    If you want the S-Pen the Note 2 is the way to go since I doubt the S4 will be able to use it until the Note 3 comes out.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums
    Darth Spock likes this.
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    8,933 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by yfan View Post
    So wait. Adding one set of closed source stuff on top of Android (GAPPS) still makes it Android, but adding another set (Touchwiz) disqualifies it? Alright then, carry on...

You STILL didn't address what I said. You're avoiding it. Or you're reading too far into it, or not far enough. I'm having a hard time figuring out which.

Manufacturer "skins" that hold software updates up are bad IMO. So are carriers for this same reason. "Pure" Android takes very little work on the part of the manufacturer to port to hardware (looking at Asus) assuming the hardware has no limitations preventing it from running the new version. The closed source portion of the framework is what takes so long (the more Google changed the longer it takes manufacturers) to get updated.

We could go into GAPPS and why Google makes them closed source, but I'd rather see a thread in a different section devoted to that. Not running GAPPS should be a disqualifier for being considered Android, but alas, it's not (such is the nature of the open source beast). There are many craplets that run Android, but Google wants nothing to do with them because of the subpar experience users have with them. That's why they have no GAPPS.

Anybody looking at a non Nexus should not expect any updates at all, and if they receive any it should be seen as a blessing.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.
    Thanked by:
    chubb, Topgonzo and Slender Troll like this.

Global Posts
    1,412 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by msavic6 View Post
    3 and 1/2 hours of screen on time is nothing amazing. With a 2100mah battery and LCD screen and no LTE, and no bloat. The battery should be way better, my dads RAZR HD has LTE and motoblur and still manages to get way better battery life then the nexus 4. My galaxy nexus gets 3:30 screen on time with a 1750Mah stock battery also without LTE.
    It's the 40 hours that impressed me. Unfortunately, after I posted that, I had it drain out at close to the usual rate. It was at 91% when I left the wifi zone and was at around 75% when I posted, but after 9-1/2 hours and 2:10 screen time, I was at 14%, so lets round it out to about 8%/hr. while on 3G.

This brings up the wildly divergent reports of battery life for N4 users - some people are like me and others are reporting a bazillion hours of screen time and standby, though they rarely clarify whether it's 3G or wifi use. The latest kernel shows more deep sleep state than before and examining GSam and Better Battery Stats doesn't reveal anything in particular that's being a power soak. So annoying.
    "The Nexus 5 is such a big black slab of power that if you dropped it down in the middle of a pack of monkeys, they'd start using weapons." - Dirk Belligerent.
    Devices: 32GB Nexus 5, 16GB Nexus 7 (2013), 16GB Nexus 7, 16GB Nexus 4, ASUS Transformer TF101, Kindle Fire, HP TouchPad (CM7), Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch Long Name Phone, HTC EVO 4G, Palm Pre, 64GB 1st gen iPad WiFi
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    8,933 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I just use the phone and charge when I need to. No need to stress about the battery life. I imagine the majority of people can do the same but get too caught up with screen on time and overall battery life.

Quote Originally Posted by DroidXcon View Post
    updated does not mean the best, if a phone works great as it is i think most people will over look updates.

Multi window is not a gimick it freaking rocks i spend hours sometimes watching my shows on hulu and responding to the forums at the same time. Ill forgo updates forever for functionality like that .
    No its a gimmick. 5.5" is not enough screen size for multi-window apps, also a power drain.

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Quote Originally Posted by Chetan Takyar View Post
    No its a gimmick. 5.5" is not enough screen size for multi-window apps, also a power drain.
    this statement is nonsense as its completely useable. power drain is nonsense aswell when i easily clear 16hrs with heavy use. Face unlock is a gimmick. You are just saying things to be argumentative
    If i've made life easier buy me a Macchiato
    Thanked by 2:
    TomsAndroid likes this.

I love the "if I say it, it's automatically true" tone you have in your posts.

How is multitasking a gimmick exactly?
    Thanked by:
    TomsAndroid likes this.

Global Posts
    808 Global Posts

You STILL didn't address what I said. You're avoiding it. Or you're reading too far into it, or not far enough. I'm having a hard time figuring out which.

Manufacturer "skins" that hold software updates up are bad IMO. So are carriers for this same reason.
    No, I'm pointing out that what you said is self contradictory, as in saying adding one closed source thing makes it still Android but adding another disqualifies, and there is no need to address it until you come to terms with that.

I am not disputing that manufacturer skins and carrier obstructions are "bad". Duh. The reason I have owned Nexus devices only for the past several years is that I agree with that statement. But whether it is "bad" is a value judgment and completely beside the point as to whether those things disqualify a device from being an Android device. They don't.

Last edited by yfan; 02-18-2013 at 10:24 PM.
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    8,933 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by yfan View Post
    No, I'm pointing out that what you said is self contradictory, as in saying adding one closed source thing makes it still Android but adding another disqualifies, and there is no need to address it until you come to terms with it.

I am not disputing that manufacturer skins and carrier obstructions are "bad". Duh. The reason I have owned Nexus devices only for the past several years is that I agree with that statement. But whether it is "bad" is a value judgment and completely beside the point as to whether those things disqualify a device from being an Android device. They don't.

One closed source thing (GAPPS) doesn't make OS updates take any longer. The other does.

So back to the meat of the argument. Closed source framework-level OS changes. Ask the devs working on AOSP builds for the HTC One XL (and AT&T One X) how bad those can affect things. Just to name one example.

Eventually we'll get to how bad SD cards are for security and how much of a mess it can make for app developers (really that's the bigger issue) with so many different paths for local storage. Frankly, I think all flagship devices should have a minimum of 32gb internal storage, but again, that's getting away from the original discussion we are having.

Quote Originally Posted by xlDeMoNiClx View Post
    I love the "if I say it, it's automatically true" tone you have in your posts.

How is multitasking a gimmick exactly?
    How usable is it?
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    8,933 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

How usable is it?
    Multiple people have listed how they use it. Watching a video while posting here, for example.

Thanked by 2:
    Darth Spock and TomsAndroid like this.

Global Posts
    808 Global Posts

One closed source thing (GAPPS) doesn't make OS updates take any longer. The other does.
    The other doesn't make the OS update take any longer either. It's adding Touchwiz on top of it that takes the time. CM updates aren't released the day of an Android OS update either, and in fact actual releases (not the Alpha or Beta) are released substantially after Google releases new versions. I say that to make the point that being a closed source modification vs. an open source modification does not make much difference here.

Second, this is also completely beside the point. Are pure Froyo or pure Gingerbread phones not Android phones? What about when Google decides to stop supporting an old Nexus device and it stops getting the update - does that phone then disqualify from being an Android phone? I don't think classifying whether a phone is an Android phone based on the frequency or length of time it takes to update makes sense.

So back to the meat of the argument. Closed source framework-level OS changes. Ask the devs working on AOSP builds for the HTC One XL (and AT&T One X) how bad those can affect things. Just to name one example.
    There you go again. Who said those aren't bad? Why are you harping on that after I agreed with you on this? Is it your contention that being 'bad' makes something not Android? So when a previous version of Android on Nexus phones was missing the month of December - surely a bad thing - it suddenly turned those Nexus devices into non-Android phones?

Eventually we'll get to how bad SD cards are for security and how much of a mess it can make for app developers (really that's the bigger issue) with so many different paths for local storage.
    So now you think any phone with removable storage is not an Android device? Well, I guess there goes the Nexus One.

Quote Originally Posted by DroidXcon View Post
    So you are saying that it's always better to have two devices instead of one.

And I'm pretty sure a device doesn't try to be anything more then what it is.

Its not like a football player trying out for water polo. It is what it is

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk
    A 5.5 inch phone is trying to be a tablet.

For me.

Nexus4=sidearm
    10 inch tablet= assault weapon

A 5.5 inch phone wouldnt do either well for me.

Note 2 is easily the best right now.

Note does things no other phone can do

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the Galaxy S3 unfortunately on T-Mobile
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,518 Global Posts
    ROM
    Muzzyz 4.2.1 build

Quote Originally Posted by llamainmypocket View Post
    A 5.5 inch phone is trying to be a tablet.

For me.

Nexus4=sidearm
    10 inch tablet= assault weapon

A 5.5 inch phone wouldnt do either well for me.
    If u put it that way

N4=380 caliber
    Note2=desert eagle

I would rather take a eagle but there's nothing wrong wit the 380

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.2 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:

If your looking for a Pure Google " Android " experience then your at the right place. If your looking for certain bells and whistles found on branded devices then you may want to consider looking elsewhere.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

I've got the Huawei ascend so far it's been pretty good for the price.. I've got a question can someone pls explain to me what is the software upgrade for? I seen it listed in my storage I haven't found anything about it in the user manual. When I click it it says upgrade via sd card what is this for and what does it do?? thanks for any help...

Sent from my H866C using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Mellimel22 View Post
    If u put it that way

N4=380 caliber
    Note2=desert eagle

Well, its certainly size that I don't need. No point in watching movies on a 5.5 when you got a 10.5.
    It must be settled then. Note2 is a best all purpose device. Nexus 4 and a 10" tablet are best specialized for the tasks of their size.
    Thanked by:
    Darth Spock and TomsAndroid like this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,518 Global Posts
    ROM
    Muzzyz 4.2.1 build

Quote Originally Posted by llamainmypocket View Post
    Well, its certainly size that I don't need. No point in watching movies on a 5.5 when you got a 10.5.
    It must be settled then. Note2 is a best all purpose device. Nexus 4 and a 10" tablet are best specialized for the tasks of their size.
    Bingo bro.:beer: for someone like u that has a tab the note 2 is purposeless. But for people like me that doesn't have a tab or wants a big screen with phone capabilities then the note 2 is the perfect device.

Darth Spock likes this.

wow that's pretty harsh in comparing an n4 to a 380 round over a desert eagle running something like a 44 magnum.

i would say both are the same 'caliber' as far as performance... they are pretty much at the top of class... both 10mm.

but one's housed in a plastic glock... and the other in a ss colt delta and each gun has a few differences but caliberwise the same.

which is perfect? comes down to who prefers the glocks over colts.

or at least pick a couple of rounds that are pretty close to each other... 40cal vs 357sig?

Quote Originally Posted by Mellimel22 View Post
    If u put it that way

N4=380 caliber
    Note2=desert eagle

Darth Spock likes this.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast