So is the Nexus 4 the best android phone?

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
The one thing I don't like about the note 2 is the size.... But that s-pen is something really nice. Too nice to ignore . I'm considering the note 2, but i wanna see the s4 first.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

If you want the S-Pen the Note 2 is the way to go since I doubt the S4 will be able to use it until the Note 3 comes out.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
So wait. Adding one set of closed source stuff on top of Android (GAPPS) still makes it Android, but adding another set (Touchwiz) disqualifies it? Alright then, carry on...

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

You STILL didn't address what I said. You're avoiding it. Or you're reading too far into it, or not far enough. I'm having a hard time figuring out which.

Manufacturer "skins" that hold software updates up are bad IMO. So are carriers for this same reason. "Pure" Android takes very little work on the part of the manufacturer to port to hardware (looking at Asus) assuming the hardware has no limitations preventing it from running the new version. The closed source portion of the framework is what takes so long (the more Google changed the longer it takes manufacturers) to get updated.

We could go into GAPPS and why Google makes them closed source, but I'd rather see a thread in a different section devoted to that. Not running GAPPS should be a disqualifier for being considered Android, but alas, it's not (such is the nature of the open source beast). There are many craplets that run Android, but Google wants nothing to do with them because of the subpar experience users have with them. That's why they have no GAPPS.

Anybody looking at a non Nexus should not expect any updates at all, and if they receive any it should be seen as a blessing.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
3 and 1/2 hours of screen on time is nothing amazing. With a 2100mah battery and LCD screen and no LTE, and no bloat. The battery should be way better, my dads RAZR HD has LTE and motoblur and still manages to get way better battery life then the nexus 4. My galaxy nexus gets 3:30 screen on time with a 1750Mah stock battery also without LTE.
It's the 40 hours that impressed me. Unfortunately, after I posted that, I had it drain out at close to the usual rate. It was at 91% when I left the wifi zone and was at around 75% when I posted, but after 9-1/2 hours and 2:10 screen time, I was at 14%, so lets round it out to about 8%/hr. while on 3G.

This brings up the wildly divergent reports of battery life for N4 users - some people are like me and others are reporting a bazillion hours of screen time and standby, though they rarely clarify whether it's 3G or wifi use. The latest kernel shows more deep sleep state than before and examining GSam and Better Battery Stats doesn't reveal anything in particular that's being a power soak. So annoying.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I just use the phone and charge when I need to. No need to stress about the battery life. I imagine the majority of people can do the same but get too caught up with screen on time and overall battery life.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
updated does not mean the best, if a phone works great as it is i think most people will over look updates.

Multi window is not a gimick it freaking rocks i spend hours sometimes watching my shows on hulu and responding to the forums at the same time. Ill forgo updates forever for functionality like that .

No its a gimmick. 5.5" is not enough screen size for multi-window apps, also a power drain.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
No its a gimmick. 5.5" is not enough screen size for multi-window apps, also a power drain.

this statement is nonsense as its completely useable. power drain is nonsense aswell when i easily clear 16hrs with heavy use. Face unlock is a gimmick. You are just saying things to be argumentative

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
You STILL didn't address what I said. You're avoiding it. Or you're reading too far into it, or not far enough. I'm having a hard time figuring out which.

Manufacturer "skins" that hold software updates up are bad IMO. So are carriers for this same reason.
No, I'm pointing out that what you said is self contradictory, as in saying adding one closed source thing makes it still Android but adding another disqualifies, and there is no need to address it until you come to terms with that.

I am not disputing that manufacturer skins and carrier obstructions are "bad". Duh. The reason I have owned Nexus devices only for the past several years is that I agree with that statement. But whether it is "bad" is a value judgment and completely beside the point as to whether those things disqualify a device from being an Android device. They don't.

Last edited:

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
No, I'm pointing out that what you said is self contradictory, as in saying adding one closed source thing makes it still Android but adding another disqualifies, and there is no need to address it until you come to terms with it.

I am not disputing that manufacturer skins and carrier obstructions are "bad". Duh. The reason I have owned Nexus devices only for the past several years is that I agree with that statement. But whether it is "bad" is a value judgment and completely beside the point as to whether those things disqualify a device from being an Android device. They don't.

One closed source thing (GAPPS) doesn't make OS updates take any longer. The other does.

So back to the meat of the argument. Closed source framework-level OS changes. Ask the devs working on AOSP builds for the HTC One XL (and AT&T One X) how bad those can affect things. Just to name one example.

Eventually we'll get to how bad SD cards are for security and how much of a mess it can make for app developers (really that's the bigger issue) with so many different paths for local storage. Frankly, I think all flagship devices should have a minimum of 32gb internal storage, but again, that's getting away from the original discussion we are having.

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
One closed source thing (GAPPS) doesn't make OS updates take any longer. The other does.
The other doesn't make the OS update take any longer either. It's adding Touchwiz on top of it that takes the time. CM updates aren't released the day of an Android OS update either, and in fact actual releases (not the Alpha or Beta) are released substantially after Google releases new versions. I say that to make the point that being a closed source modification vs. an open source modification does not make much difference here.

Second, this is also completely beside the point. Are pure Froyo or pure Gingerbread phones not Android phones? What about when Google decides to stop supporting an old Nexus device and it stops getting the update - does that phone then disqualify from being an Android phone? I don't think classifying whether a phone is an Android phone based on the frequency or length of time it takes to update makes sense.

So back to the meat of the argument. Closed source framework-level OS changes. Ask the devs working on AOSP builds for the HTC One XL (and AT&T One X) how bad those can affect things. Just to name one example.
There you go again. Who said those aren't bad? Why are you harping on that after I agreed with you on this? Is it your contention that being 'bad' makes something not Android? So when a previous version of Android on Nexus phones was missing the month of December - surely a bad thing - it suddenly turned those Nexus devices into non-Android phones?

Eventually we'll get to how bad SD cards are for security and how much of a mess it can make for app developers (really that's the bigger issue) with so many different paths for local storage.
So now you think any phone with removable storage is not an Android device? Well, I guess there goes the Nexus One.

llamainmypocket

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
So you are saying that it's always better to have two devices instead of one.

And I'm pretty sure a device doesn't try to be anything more then what it is.

Its not like a football player trying out for water polo. It is what it is

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk

A 5.5 inch phone is trying to be a tablet.

For me.

Nexus4=sidearm
10 inch tablet= assault weapon

A 5.5 inch phone wouldnt do either well for me.

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Note 2 is easily the best right now.

Note does things no other phone can do

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the galaxy S III unfortunately on T-Mobile

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
A 5.5 inch phone is trying to be a tablet.

For me.

Nexus4=sidearm
10 inch tablet= assault weapon

A 5.5 inch phone wouldnt do either well for me.

If u put it that way

N4=380 caliber
Note2=desert eagle

I would rather take a eagle but there's nothing wrong wit the 380

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.2 using Tapatalk 2

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
If your looking for a Pure Google " Android " experience then your at the right place. If your looking for certain bells and whistles found on branded devices then you may want to consider looking elsewhere.

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
I've got the Huawei ascend so far it's been pretty good for the price.. I've got a question can someone pls explain to me what is the software upgrade for? I seen it listed in my storage I haven't found anything about it in the user manual. When I click it it says upgrade via sd card what is this for and what does it do?? thanks for any help...

Sent from my H866C using Android Central Forums

llamainmypocket

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
If u put it that way

N4=380 caliber
Note2=desert eagle

Well, its certainly size that I don't need. No point in watching movies on a 5.5 when you got a 10.5.
It must be settled then. Note2 is a best all purpose device. Nexus 4 and a 10" tablet are best specialized for the tasks of their size.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Well, its certainly size that I don't need. No point in watching movies on a 5.5 when you got a 10.5.
It must be settled then. Note2 is a best all purpose device. Nexus 4 and a 10" tablet are best specialized for the tasks of their size.

Bingo bro.:beer: for someone like u that has a tab the note 2 is purposeless. But for people like me that doesn't have a tab or wants a big screen with phone capabilities then the note 2 is the perfect device.

donm527#IM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
wow that's pretty harsh in comparing an n4 to a 380 round over a desert eagle running something like a 44 magnum.

i would say both are the same 'caliber' as far as performance... they are pretty much at the top of class... both 10mm.

but one's housed in a plastic glock... and the other in a ss colt delta and each gun has a few differences but caliberwise the same.

which is perfect? comes down to who prefers the glocks over colts.

or at least pick a couple of rounds that are pretty close to each other... 40cal vs 357sig?

If u put it that way

N4=380 caliber
Note2=desert eagle