First speed test Nexus 4 on TMobile

Kevin Harvell

May 31, 2012
Visit site
Best I've seen on mine is 16 down.

Are you on prepaid by chance? I wouldn't think that would make a difference, but wanted to ask.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

bokeh4me

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I am on prepaid. I havent heard of TM turning on LTE here. I thought the N4 has it disabled now in 4.2.2 since it would have to go through FCC again? Am I wrong?

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Using speedtest.net app, getting 33.9 down, 4.9 up here just outside of St Paul, MN. Not complaining at all.
I'm jealous!

In Charleston, SC on T-Mobile (HSPA+ locally), I generally get about 8-10Mbps down (fastest I recall is about 16) which is really far more than I need for anything, but generally average 1-1.5Mbps up (never seen over 2) and that's something I wouldn't mind an improvement on. That said, the ping is really nice for a cellular network (normally 50-80ms).

Comparing it to Verizon LTE here, where I was averaging 10-12Mbps down and 3-5Mbps up, but a 100-120ms ping - and with T-mo at a fraction of the price (and supporting the N4 :D) - I have no overall regrets.

danielcj

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Here in Portland I can get up to 28mbps. Hence I don't need lte.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Wouldn't matter. The Nexus 4 is not an LTE phone, and the update took away the ability to even put it on LTE.

Technically, the Nexus 4 is an LTE phone -- it's just not supposed to be. The update disabled it, but it's a simple matter to get it back operational post-update (there's a few threads here on it).

My T-Mobile performances in NYC area (5 boroughs and Long Island):

Eww... those are some nasty pings!

minnemike

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Never heard of anyone getting up to 25, let alone 30.

T-Mobile turned on LTE early in MN, maybe?

I'm in st paul also - it must be a LTE test. I've stood across the street from a tower with perfect 100% reception and top out around 25. 5 up is definitely LTE - I don't think that is possible with H+.

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
I'm in st paul also - it must be a LTE test. I've stood across the street from a tower with perfect 100% reception and top out around 25. 5 up is definitely LTE - I don't think that is possible with H+.
It's certainly possible. Dual carrier HSPA has a potential top speed of 42 Mbps.

PWC Realtor

May 17, 2010
Visit site

Top theoretical upload speed on HSPA+ is 5.76 mb/s. Fastest I've seen in real world is around 3.

bokeh4me

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
Speed test just gave me 32308 down, 7159 up with 12ms ping hitting a server 600 miles away. Of course this was before midnight, so will have to try mid day and see what happens.

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I've seen up to 19mbps download on T-Mobile with 50ms pings and I'm in a hspa+21 market. My tmobile pings usually under 100ms and speeds usually around 10mbps put my straight talk AT&T Sim card to shame. I get better overall coverage with the AT&T but barely ever see around 2-3mbps download and my pings are around 300ms

DeadpoolJunior

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I get this consistently in the Baltimore MD area. Maybe because I'm in the county area sorta (a little over the "city line"), away from the city where it may be more congested. I dunno. Or maybe T-Mobile loves them some Superbowl Champion Baltimore Ravens and decided to give the whole area a boost ;)

Either way I can't complain and could never understand ppl getting low speeds but hey its all in the area I guess. LTE usually has these speeds right? That's why getting a N4 over any other phone was a no brainer for me.
uploadfromtaptalk1361171235844.jpg
Somebody has to explain to me what the purpose of ping is though.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2