First speed test Nexus 4 on TMobile

Kevin Harvell

May 31, 2012
Visit site
I get this consistently in the Baltimore MD area. Maybe because I'm in the county area sorta (a little over the "city line"), away from the city where it may be more congested. I dunno. Or maybe T-Mobile loves them some Superbowl Champion Baltimore Ravens and decided to give the whole area a boost ;)

Either way I can't complain and could never understand ppl getting low speeds but hey its all in the area I guess. LTE usually has these speeds right? That's why getting a N4 over any other phone was a no brainer for me.
View attachment 60819
Somebody has to explain to me what the purpose of ping is though.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Ping is the time it takes data to get to the server and back.

Higher ping causes higher lag in online gaming which causes all kinds of problems.

It's not so bad when downloading apps or typical data use on mobile devices though.

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone know how or why my ping would be so bad on my straight talk AT&T Sim card? I have full bars and get about a 400ms ping and only around 2mbps download. When I put my T-Mobile Sim in I have under 100ms pings with only 2 bars and get speeds up to 15mbps. Both carriers are only hspa+21.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Kevin Harvell

May 31, 2012
Visit site
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Straight Talk AT&T service seems to be a much lower quality service than regular AT&T service.

Sent from my Nexus 4

Chimpware

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
On T-Mobile in NJ I get really long ping times also normally (500 to 800 ms), but have gotten spot results down in the 40 ms range. Speeds here are typically in the 10 - 15 Mbps download and 1 to 3 Mbps upload range. Blows away my AT&T results with my iPhone 4s so much better for me than I did have.

bokeh4me

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
In my office, which is notorious for lousy cell signals, Speedtest just gave me 15.7 up, 8.1 down and 14ms ping. So far, I have no reason to complain about this phone or TMobile's prepaid plan.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
T-Mobile always has high pings. But my speeds and service in NYC are outstanding.

It must just be T-mo in your area, as it's consistantly below 100ms here. But as someone said above, unless you're using it for online gaming you won't really be bothered terribly by it.

bokeh4me

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
ok, I have to know.... is it possible to see a screen shot of your APN settings?

Mike,

All the settings are stock, I havent changed them a bit, but here's what is set:

Name: TMobile US
APN epc.tmobile.com
Proxy not set
Port not set
Username not set
Password not set
server not set
MMSC http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc
MMS Proxy not set
MMS port not set
MCC 310
MNC 260
Authentication type not set
APN Type default,supl,mms
APN Protocol IPV4
APN roaming protocol IPV4
Bearer unspecified

So there you have it. Ive tested in Shoreview and Minnetonka both, and getting excellent results.

minnemike

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Ha! Yeah - turn off wifi and test it.

I will say though, I am now getting 7 down in my basement - used to only get 5. So, either Tmo has upgraded something here or the 4.2.2 update has done some wonders. I need to try out that speed test across the street from the tower again - maybe I'll get 30! :D

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Never heard of anyone getting up to 25, let alone 30.

T-Mobile turned on LTE early in MN, maybe?

27 is the highest I've got but, I was close to a tower.

Wouldn't matter. The Nexus 4 is not an LTE phone, and the update took away the ability to even put it on LTE.

I have been reading that the Nexus 4 will indeed be able to access Tmo's LTE network when it comes out. Below is a post from the XDA thread about the guy who got LTE on his Gnote. The poster in the post is not the OP but, says this test is from a Tmo employee testing LTE in K.C. with a Nexus 4.

xda-developers - View Single Post - T-Mobile LTE already in Kansas City!

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Here's a speed test on T-Mobile prepaid. I'm in an hspa+21 market also. Great speed. But I noticed building penetration sucks compared to my straight talk AT&T Sim card. But the speed of my T-Mobile Sim is about 5-8 times faster which I don't understand because I get better coverage and more bars with AT&T sim

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1361276696550.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1361276696550.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 56

minnemike

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Here's a speed test on T-Mobile prepaid. I'm in an hspa+21 market also. Great speed. But I noticed building penetration sucks compared to my straight talk AT&T Sim card. But the speed of my T-Mobile Sim is about 5-8 times faster which I don't understand because I get better coverage and more bars with AT&T sim

Just a guess, but I'd assume your Tmo connection is at a faster standard, but your ATT tower is closer.

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Just a guess, but I'd assume your Tmo connection is at a faster standard, but your ATT tower is closer.

Yep has to be something. I only get around 2mbps download on AT&T with full bars. And around 350ms pings

minnemike

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
One thing to note with ATT - you have to be certain you are on a H+ type plan. At 2mbps it looks like you are only enabled up to 3g. I don't know if there is some sort of ATT straight talk limit though.

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
One thing to note with ATT - you have to be certain you are on a H+ type plan. At 2mbps it looks like you are only enabled up to 3g. I don't know if there is some sort of ATT straight talk limit though.

Ya in not sure either. I get pretty much full bars everywhere and have the apn setting straight talk says to use