Straight Talk ATT Sim Card ?? Please Help

Matthew Anders

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
So Straight Talk no longer sells the ATT sim and walmart.com is "out of stock" for the micro sim but they've still got the standard ATT sim card available...can I purchase it and cut it down just like other have been doing with the TMO sim? I've been using the straight talk galaxy precedent for over a year, crappy phone on crappy sprint network...Finally an amazing phone comes along that I can actually afford...and now it seems like ATT is pulling out of straight talk? (TMO isnt really an option where I live...coverage maps reads from poor to 2g in my area). Needless to say I'm pretty frustrated.

Anyway if someone could confirm that I can still buy the standard sim card and just cut it down to fit I'd appreciate it. Also, I haven't been able to order my nexus 4 yet...I've got to wait for tax return money to come in, am I safe buying the sim card and not activating it for a couple weeks?

Thanks

Last edited:

TvTechGuru

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
Re: ST ATT Standard Sim for nexus 4? Please Help

Yeah you can get a standard SIM and cut it down. That's what I did. I'm still not sure what network you are using. AT&T? T-Mobile?

I had a Samsung Galaxy S2 with standard SIM card. Took it and found a template online. Taped it down, traced for the Micro SIM, cut and then had to trim a little more and sand the edges with a nail file. It fit right into the micro SIM tray in the Nexus 4. Boom, done!

Matthew Anders

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site

Looking at buying the straight talk ATT sim card from walmart. They arent carrying the micro currently, but they still have the standard version....I've found some of the micro att sims on ebay, but at about 2.5 times the normal cost. I don't even have my phone yet, so im struggling with that to do...I'm a little concerned if i wait i wont be able to get a hold of one when i finally get my phone, or if i do buy one early, by the time i get my phone straight talk will no longer be activating any ATT sim cards. Further more...if i pay a premium for an ATT sim card now, just to find out in a couple weeks everything has gone back to normal :-( Sigh....just not sure what to do.

Matthew Anders

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site

i guess i shouldnt panic....i could still get a TMO sim through ST if for some reason the ATT ones go away for good....their data coverage here bites but voice looks solid and i have wifi access 90% of the time....

Nonymous666

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site

Although ST isn't selling the ATT sims, they replaced my ATT sim just last week after a conversation I had with customer support for a problem I was having in getting a phone number transferred. (The problem I was having isn't worth going into, but I was shocked when the ST girl suggested replacing my AT&T sim and offered to fed-ex a replacment. She even knew to send me a micro sim based on my mentioning earlier in the conversation that I had a Nexus 4.) So while they might not be selling them, they still have access to them. Fed-ex tracking showed it came from Indianapolis of all places.

Matthew Anders

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site

Hmmm well hopefully the lack of availability is just a manufacturing issue or something. I was really geared up for this, I'll be really disappointed if I can't get an ATT sim through straight talk when i finally get my phone.

HolidayJesus

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
From what I understand, they MIGHT be replacing the sim cards with newer ones soon. Wouldn't be surprised if they specific data limits for each one.

Raquel Nino

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
I talked to Straight talk a few days ago. After demanding a few different people and repeatedly hearing I could order from walmart.com, which I cannot, I finally got someone to tell me what was going on. Apparently, the old AT&T SIM card had some sort of issue when changing the APN and using data sevices or something to that effect, which is something I have read in user reviews as well. They recalled the old SIM cards and are working out the bugs to release a new one. Of course no anticipated release date though.

Tall Mike 2145

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I found this article and discussion page on TalkAndroid.com, for anyone here who's interested.

Straight Talk no longer offering AT&T compatible SIMs | TalkAndroid.com

I'm betting AT&T has decided they're just losing too much business under their contract, and so they can't break it but they can screw with ST's customers by giving them so many problems they're forced to leave ST and switch either to AT&T (and pay regular prices) or T-Mobile, and cease using up their bandwidth.

It's not a matter of conspiracy theory or tin-foil-hat wearing; I see AT&T as having a real big business-related concern here. And, frankly, I don't really trust them as a company anyhow. They *were* de-reg'd back in 82 for a reason, you know.

EDIT: FWIW, I sent off a note to one of the AC forum admins about this, asking if maybe one central discussion thread can be set up on here so that we don't have to have a repeat of this discussion in every single phone or OS area. Believe me, there's a LOT of people with a LOT of different phones encountering this issue, and the last thing we need is multitudinous repetition.

Last edited:

DaveC31833

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
I've about given up. I bought an unlocked phone at Koobay. First I had a Staright Talk T-Mobile sim card. Virtually no service here. Purchased a Straight Talk ATT sim on ebay. Activated it and works ok but very slow data speeds. Only will use the Edge. ATT store told me lots of people have data probs with unlocked phones. Hard to believe. Has ATT done something in this regard? I have tried every APN setting I can find. Any help would be appreciated

swipper_74

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
I've about given up. I bought an unlocked phone at Koobay. First I had a Staright Talk T-Mobile sim card. Virtually no service here. Purchased a Straight Talk ATT sim on ebay. Activated it and works ok but very slow data speeds. Only will use the Edge. ATT store told me lots of people have data probs with unlocked phones. Hard to believe. Has ATT done something in this regard? I have tried every APN setting I can find. Any help would be appreciated

Hi...no data problems here on my Nexus 4..getting great download/upload speeds. I too am on ATT but with Net10. If you can stand the 1.5 GB data cap, it might be worth a try, it has worked great for me but I am on wifi most of the day and use data rarely while out (other than to check email and weather). There has been long standing complaints with ST for slowing people's speeds for no reason in other forums. It must be noted though that ST and Net10 are owned by the same 'mother' company America Movil but operate independently of each other.

Nonymous666

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
It must be noted though that ST and Net10 are owned by the same 'mother' company America Movil but operate independently of each other.
They only 'kinda' operate independently of each other. Straight Talk is essentially Net10, but rebranded for Walmart, and a few dollars knocked off the price for Walmart. They still operate close enough that some ST talk customers have even reportedly successfully called Net10 customer support and had them fix their ST issue, when they couldn't get through on the regular ST customer support number due to high call volume.

Randy Feagans

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
go check out moddiy.com they sell adapters to convert a micro sim to a regular sim. 99 cents. after shipping it's 10 bucks lol. but you can order a micro sim that's guaranteed to work (unlike the ones on ebay) plus the adapter and you'll be good to go. I just got the Samsung Galaxy Note and am putting it on straight talk. Good luck to you.

Unicorn Rancher

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
adapters to convert a micro sim to a regular sim. 99 cents. after shipping it's 10 bucks lol. but you can order a micro sim that's guaranteed to work (unlike the ones on ebay) plus the adapter and you'll be good to go. I just got the Samsung Galaxy Note and am putting it on straight talk. Good luck to you.
Nexus 4 uses a micro sim not a regular sim so it won't fit the adapter you're selling.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance