Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Phil Nickinson
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Wireless display not working after updating android to 4.2.2

Hi there,

I've been using Nexus 4's wireless display for the past few months, and everything works great (I am using Netgear's PTV3000 wireless display adapter with the firmware version of 2.2.9). Yesterday I upgraded my android OS to 4.2.2, and the wireless display suddenly stopped working. When trying to connect to PTV3000, a "RTSP closed by the source" message was displayed on the monitor. I rebooted both the phone and the wireless display adapter, but that didn't fix the problem. I even re-installed PTV3000's firmware, but that didn't help either.

I suspect that the wireless display feature was broken due to the Android 4.2.2 upgrade. Any thoughts on how to fix the problem? Thanks for your kind help in advance!

lakeeast
    Android Central Editor in Chief

Global Posts
    4,141 Global Posts

Default Re: Wireless display not working after updating android to 4.2.2

Ugh. Didn't realize they'd finally added support in 2.2.7. (Last I checked we were still at 2.1.5.)

And now I cant get it to enter into the update mode. :-/

Global Posts
    233 Global Posts

I still can't get the ota update

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Updated the PTV3000 .. everything seems to be fine..

Glad they got rid of the different Miracast/Widi modes where we had to switch using the side button. I use both so it sucked.

Now, I still have to update the N4; it still has only been pushed to a very limited number of devices. Kinds of reminds me of HTC's CID-related updates =(

I still haven't gotten it yet.

Global Posts
    369 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lakeeast View Post
    Hi there,

I've been using Nexus 4's wireless display for the past few months, and everything works great (I am using Netgear's PTV3000 wireless display adapter with the firmware version of 2.2.9). Yesterday I upgraded my android OS to 4.2.2, and the wireless display suddenly stopped working. When trying to connect to PTV3000, a "RTSP closed by the source" message was displayed on the monitor. I rebooted both the phone and the wireless display adapter, but that didn't fix the problem. I even re-installed PTV3000's firmware, but that didn't help either.

I suspect that the wireless display feature was broken due to the Android 4.2.2 upgrade. Any thoughts on how to fix the problem? Thanks for your kind help in advance!

lakeeast
    It could be the net gear update didn't have support built in for 4.2.2 only 4.2.1.
    You might have to wait to see if net gear sends out another update to support it.

Android Central Editor in Chief

Global Posts
    4,141 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jweimn View Post
    It could be the net gear update didn't have support built in for 4.2.2 only 4.2.1.
    You might have to wait to see if net gear sends out another update to support it.

If a "standard" only supports certain OS versions, it's not much of a "standard."
    rootedVette likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Nickinson View Post
    If a "standard" only supports certain OS versions, it's not much of a "standard."
    You speak the truth. I'd be interested to learn more about the protocols, and what would break compatibility.

Sent from my Nexus 4
    Motorola DROID A855 (Retired) / Samsung Fascinate SCH-I500 (Sold) / Samsung Galaxy Nexus SCH-I515 (Sold) / Samsung Galaxy Note SGH-I717 (Sold) / LGE Nexus 4 E960 / LGE Nexus 5 D820 / Samsung Nexus 10

Any updates on whether or not 4.2.2 is working with PVT3000??

Fausse alerte.

It works fine. End of discussion.

Maybe it gets broken using some stock-ish roms, but I assure you its fine running 100% stock. Maybe all the OP needs to do is to re-pair his devices. Who knows.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

I did run the OS 100% stock: I might contact Netgear today to get more information about the source of the problem.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Today I talked to a level-2 technical support from Netgear, and he confirmed to me that the problem I encountered is caused by firmware, but he didn't give me a firm date on when a new firmware version would be available that would fix the wireless display problem for Nexus 4.
    Thanked by:
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

For those who are interested, I found a workaround to make wireless display working again for Nexus 4 with Android 4.2.2: you simply need to install an older version of Netgear firmware! I download Netgear's 2.2.2 firmware here and now everything works.

Quote Originally Posted by lakeeast View Post
    For those who are interested, I found a workaround to make wireless display working again for Nexus 4 with Android 4.2.2: you simply need to install an older version of Netgear firmware! I download Netgear's 2.2.2 firmware here and now everything works.
    I can confirm that this works!!! Thanks!!!

I won't lie, this thread is making me wish I had something I could use my N4 with in my house. But that would first involve me buying a t.v., which just ain't gonna happen.

I'm not sure why all the existing smart TVs(with WiFi built in) can't just receive Miracast functionality via a firmware update. Oh yeah, that's right, no one would make any money doing that.

Sent from my Nexus 4
    Motorola DROID A855 (Retired) / Samsung Fascinate SCH-I500 (Sold) / Samsung Galaxy Nexus SCH-I515 (Sold) / Samsung Galaxy Note SGH-I717 (Sold) / LGE Nexus 4 E960 / LGE Nexus 5 D820 / Samsung Nexus 10