Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 51
Like Tree6Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #26  

    Default Re: PSA: For anyone on TMobile prepaid - you need data roaming on!

    Quote Originally Posted by Chimpware View Post
    I am not on prepaid but am on T- mobile and this fixed latency for me. 15x improvement. Thanks.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    I guess it's TMobile's network in general that needs this. Why don't they put this in their instructions? Clearly their customer service rep knew about it.
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #27  

    Default Re: PSA: For anyone on TMobile prepaid - you need data roaming on!

    Quote Originally Posted by greydarrah View Post
    Does anyone know why you are supposed to reset your APN? What's the purpose and what happens if you don't do it? The reason I'm asking is that after doing this, I got my first ever Tmo web site pushing me to sign up for HotSpot service and only displaying this page (I was tethering, using my pc) whenever I clicked on any links or bookmarks. I don't tether much, but I've never been redirected to this site before tonight (after resetting my APN).
    Resetting the APN causes the phone to renegotiate with the network so everything's "fresh".
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #28  

    Default Re: PSA: For anyone on TMobile prepaid - you need data roaming on!

    Quote Originally Posted by chubb View Post
    Nice find. Definitely increased my speeds. Only have hspa 10 at home, only problem is my ping times went through the roof.
    Did you reset your APN?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by ryanr509 View Post
    Did nothing for me

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Did you reset your APN?
  4. #29  

    Default Re: PSA: For anyone on TMobile prepaid - you need data roaming on!

    Well, without data roaming turned on for me, I'm getting the speeds the OP talked about needing roaming on for, so... maybe it depends on the market?
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #30  

    Default Re: PSA: For anyone on TMobile prepaid - you need data roaming on!

    Quote Originally Posted by musichem View Post
    Thanks for the tip, OP!

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    What speed/ping changes did you get?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Tall Mike 2145 View Post
    Well, without data roaming turned on for me, I'm getting the speeds the OP talked about needing roaming on for, so... maybe it depends on the market?
    Try turning data roaming on and resetting your APN. Maybe you'll be getting 25mbps.
  6. #31  

    Default Re: PSA: For anyone on TMobile prepaid - you need data roaming on!

    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    Did you reset your APN?

    - - - Updated - - -



    Did you reset your APN?
    Yep I was already getting under 100ms pings good speeds (10-18mbps) with it turned off

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
  7. #32  

    Default Re: PSA: For anyone on TMobile prepaid - you need data roaming on!

    Someone should sticky this post. HOLY SMOKES! Worked for me out here is metro Detroit!
    Big thanks to the OP!
  8. #33  
    chubb's Avatar

    Posts
    874 Posts
    ROM
    Stock Xoom, Nexus 4 AOKP

    Default Re: PSA: For anyone on TMobile prepaid - you need data roaming on!

    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    Did you reset your APN?

    - - - Updated - - -



    Did you reset your APN?
    Yup. Also rebooted and still have horrible pings. Holding onto 3G better though, don't see the dreaded E as much.

    Just tried some more. The best was 73ms ping, but .43 mbps dl, and 1.25 up. Worst was 630ms, 1.74 dl, and 1.23 up, this was when I changed the server to one that T-Mobile hosts.
  9. #34  

    Default Re: PSA: For anyone on TMobile prepaid - you need data roaming on!

    Any other Nexus 4 forums that this info can be spread to?
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #35  

    Default Re: PSA: For anyone on TMobile prepaid - you need data roaming on!

    Quote Originally Posted by BookReader2 View Post
    Any other Nexus 4 forums that this info can be spread to?
    It's not just the Nexus 4. A friend with an HTC One S saw the same improvement (from about 3mbps down, .5mbps up to 12mbps down, 1.2mbps up). Are there general Android forums where this is a relevant post?
  11. #36  

    Default Re: PSA: For anyone on TMobile prepaid - you need data roaming on!

    Didn't help for me. My speeds actually went down. Maybe I'll try again later...
  12. #37  
    Kaenon's Avatar

    Posts
    122 Posts
    Global Posts
    233 Global Posts

    Default Re: PSA: For anyone on TMobile prepaid - you need data roaming on!

    I am getting a worse connection this way :/

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
  13. #38  

    Default Re: PSA: For anyone on TMobile prepaid - you need data roaming on!

    Quote Originally Posted by Tall Mike 2145 View Post
    Well, without data roaming turned on for me, I'm getting the speeds the OP talked about needing roaming on for, so... maybe it depends on the market?
    Same here. I get anywhere between 6-12mbps.
  14. #39  

    Default Re: PSA: For anyone on TMobile prepaid - you need data roaming on!

    Does anyone think this might be applicable to the galaxy nexus on T-mobile too?

    I used to get great speeds in Boston but I've had pretty crappy speeds (and awful pings) for a while now and I realize I turned off data roaming a while ago when I was traveling (and wanted to make sure I didn't roam on data).

    Also what does resetting APN settings do?

    Does anyone ever get a message about signing up for hotspot when tethered to the Nexus 7? That is the only kind of tethering I use on a regular basis. (So if it was messed up by this process I would be very sad).

    Update: Ok just gave this a try. Hopefully this also helps the galaxy nexus. Also I have grandfathered even more plus plan so I'm not sure if that makes a difference.
    Last edited by Saturn1217; 02-22-2013 at 05:55 PM.
  15. #40  

    Default Re: PSA: For anyone on TMobile prepaid - you need data roaming on!

    Just for laughs I enabled data roaming... no difference between them. Hmm...
  16. #41  

    Default

    I guess this doesn't apply to Straight Talk T-Mobile?
  17. #42  
    KitN's Avatar

    Posts
    485 Posts
    Global Posts
    524 Global Posts

    Default Re: PSA: For anyone on TMobile prepaid - you need data roaming on!

    This seems to have helped somewhat but my ping has gotten WORSE.

    Sent from my Nexus 7
  18. #43  
    unglued94ta's Avatar

    Posts
    198 Posts
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    ROM
    4.1, 4.0.4, 4.0.4

    Default Re: PSA: For anyone on TMobile prepaid - you need data roaming on!

    It helped the ping but not dl speed. I'm assuming because of where I'm located.

    Sent from my GT-N7000 using Android Central Forums
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #44  

    Default Re: PSA: For anyone on TMobile prepaid - you need data roaming on!

    Quote Originally Posted by Tall Mike 2145 View Post
    Just for laughs I enabled data roaming... no difference between them. Hmm...
    did you reset the apn after enabling it? you need to do that.
  20. #45  

    Default Re: PSA: For anyone on TMobile prepaid - you need data roaming on!

    Hi, since you are all discussing T mobile service on your N4 I thought I'd ask a question here. I left Verizon which has very good coverage where I live, so I could get the N4. I wanted this phone that much. That said, could someone explain a couple things for me that I'm not familiar with having been on vz. On my connection service which is T-Mobile via Solavei, it is spotty at best. I notice the number of bars vary quite a bit up and 1 to 4 bars. I see the letter E quite a bit but also H a couple times and 3G here and there. What is E and H? Also, when I get no T-Mobile service (solavei), I'll sometimes get that the phone is roaming. Couple times I showed picking up ATT. Just to be sure I understand as long as I got my phone setting under Data NOT Checked to allow data service while roaming I am in fact NOT using data off some other service even though the phone says its roaming? Is that correct. Sorry if these questions sound like dumb ones but I just never ran into roaming on my Verizon phone and it always used 4Gand 3G service.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
  21. #46  

    Default Re: PSA: For anyone on TMobile prepaid - you need data roaming on!

    Quote Originally Posted by RocDel View Post
    Hi, since you are all discussing T mobile service on your N4 I thought I'd ask a question here. I left Verizon which has very good coverage where I live, so I could get the N4. I wanted this phone that much. That said, could someone explain a couple things for me that I'm not familiar with having been on vz. On my connection service which is T-Mobile via Solavei, it is spotty at best. I notice the number of bars vary quite a bit up and 1 to 4 bars. I see the letter E quite a bit but also H a couple times and 3G here and there. What is E and H? Also, when I get no T-Mobile service (solavei), I'll sometimes get that the phone is roaming. Couple times I showed picking up ATT. Just to be sure I understand as long as I got my phone setting under Data NOT Checked to allow data service while roaming I am in fact NOT using data off some other service even though the phone says its roaming? Is that correct. Sorry if these questions sound like dumb ones but I just never ran into roaming on my Verizon phone and it always used 4Gand 3G service.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    E is Edge (2g). H is the HSPA+, what T-Mobile calls 4g. If you're in an HSPA+ area for the most part it will sit on the 3g network if you aren't using data, and switch to H when you are.

    With Solavei you can only roam where there are roaming agreements in place and this is reflected on the coverage map - they call it domestic roaming. You do get 2g roaming data so you don't need to worry about turning it off.

    You should check the coverage map. If you're not getting coverage somewhere that the map shows you should you should log into the Solavei site and report it in their forums. I had a dead spot where there should have been coverage - maybe it was a coincidence, but it got fixed after I reported it.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 on Solavei
    Ask me about Solavei.
  22. #47  

    Default Re: PSA: For anyone on TMobile prepaid - you need data roaming on!

    Another tactic you can try is to have the CSR delete your network registration. This will require you to reboot but your phone will reregister with the local towers.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
  23. #48  
    John-Smith's Avatar

    Posts
    421 Posts
    ROM
    CM 9.1

    Default Re: PSA: For anyone on TMobile prepaid - you need data roaming on!

    What if you are already getting good speeds? Would there be any benefit to this? Or should I just not mess with what's working?
  24. #49  

    Default Re: PSA: For anyone on TMobile prepaid - you need data roaming on!

    Quote Originally Posted by John-Smith View Post
    What if you are already getting good speeds? Would there be any benefit to this? Or should I just not mess with what's working?
    As the old adage goes "If it ain't broke, don't go off fixin' it!"

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
  25. #50  

    Default Re: PSA: For anyone on TMobile prepaid - you need data roaming on!

    Quote Originally Posted by runtmms View Post
    E is Edge (2g). H is the HSPA+, what T-Mobile calls 4g. If you're in an HSPA+ area for the most part it will sit on the 3g network if you aren't using data, and switch to H when you are.

    With Solavei you can only roam where there are roaming agreements in place and this is reflected on the coverage map - they call it domestic roaming. You do get 2g roaming data so you don't need to worry about turning it off.

    You should check the coverage map. If you're not getting coverage somewhere that the map shows you should you should log into the Solavei site and report it in their forums. I had a dead spot where there should have been coverage - maybe it was a coincidence, but it got fixed after I reported it.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 on Solavei
    Thanks for explaining the symbols. I'm pretty much getting what the coverage map says. Around were I live I'm right on the fringe were depending were I'm at I get the HSPA and 3G a little but mostly I get that 2G or Edge. South of me were I work the map shows all 2G and that's all I get but generally the service for calls, texting and email is good so I pretty much get what they say I should.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Can you avoid data plan on an unbranded phone?
    By Dagobert_ZOMGthenamewastaken in forum AT&T
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-30-2013, 02:54 PM
  2. Can you do data while on the phone
    By trucksmoveamerica#AC in forum Verizon Galaxy Note 2
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-04-2013, 07:35 AM
  3. What do you need/use 3G on your tablet for? (real world use cases, please)
    By ChromeJob in forum Google Nexus 7 Tablet (2012)
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 11-14-2012, 09:38 PM
  4. Vivid unlocked on Tmobile prepaid
    By kgsauls in forum HTC Vivid
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-24-2012, 01:23 AM
  5. Data Roaming - On or Off?
    By NovaSS369 in forum Verizon
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-04-2010, 11:25 PM

Posting Permissions

B