PSA: For anyone on TMobile prepaid - you need data roaming on!

HTCTundaBow

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
Wow. I'm sitting in the ride-share parking lot in town where I usually get 2-3 Mbps, and now I'm getting almost 16mbps! I also noticed my data bar stays on "H" instead of alternating between 3g and "H".

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

theduder

May 9, 2011
Visit site
So far in Connecticut there's only a nominal increase in speed, but my pings went from 400-500 to ~50ms.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for this info. I was wondering why I was not getting HSPA+ speeds when I turned wifi off at home. I was only getting about 750kbps download with data roaming off. Went up to 3mbps as soon as I turned data roaming on. I am hoping it improves.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Did you also reset the APN? That made it go up even more for me.

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
I am not on prepaid but am on T- mobile and this fixed latency for me. 15x improvement. Thanks.

I guess it's TMobile's network in general that needs this. Why don't they put this in their instructions? Clearly their customer service rep knew about it.

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Does anyone know why you are supposed to reset your APN? What's the purpose and what happens if you don't do it? The reason I'm asking is that after doing this, I got my first ever Tmo web site pushing me to sign up for HotSpot service and only displaying this page (I was tethering, using my pc) whenever I clicked on any links or bookmarks. I don't tether much, but I've never been redirected to this site before tonight (after resetting my APN).

Resetting the APN causes the phone to renegotiate with the network so everything's "fresh".

Tall Mike 2145

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Well, without data roaming turned on for me, I'm getting the speeds the OP talked about needing roaming on for, so... maybe it depends on the market?

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the tip, OP!

What speed/ping changes did you get?

- - - Updated - - -

Well, without data roaming turned on for me, I'm getting the speeds the OP talked about needing roaming on for, so... maybe it depends on the market?

Try turning data roaming on and resetting your APN. Maybe you'll be getting 25mbps.

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
Did you reset your APN?

- - - Updated - - -

Did you reset your APN?

Yup. Also rebooted and still have horrible pings. Holding onto 3G better though, don't see the dreaded E as much.

Just tried some more. The best was 73ms ping, but .43 mbps dl, and 1.25 up. Worst was 630ms, 1.74 dl, and 1.23 up, this was when I changed the server to one that T-Mobile hosts.

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Any other Nexus 4 forums that this info can be spread to?

It's not just the Nexus 4. A friend with an HTC One S saw the same improvement (from about 3mbps down, .5mbps up to 12mbps down, 1.2mbps up). Are there general Android forums where this is a relevant post?

Saturn1217

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone think this might be applicable to the galaxy nexus on T-mobile too?

I used to get great speeds in Boston but I've had pretty crappy speeds (and awful pings) for a while now and I realize I turned off data roaming a while ago when I was traveling (and wanted to make sure I didn't roam on data).

Also what does resetting APN settings do?

Does anyone ever get a message about signing up for hotspot when tethered to the Nexus 7? That is the only kind of tethering I use on a regular basis. (So if it was messed up by this process I would be very sad).

Update: Ok just gave this a try. Hopefully this also helps the galaxy nexus. Also I have grandfathered even more plus plan so I'm not sure if that makes a difference.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dedehammac