Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default WiFi Hotspot name seen by PC

I have a Nexus 4 with the TMobile $25/5gb addon tethering plan. I have a laptop and
    a carcomputer both using Windows 7. I "Set up Wi-Fi hotspot", set Network SSID to some
    name such as "NETWORK". Security is WPA2 PSK. Set the password, save and turn it on.
    The PCs see NETWORK and I set them to connect automatically and choose Home network.
    They connect just fine and everything works great. Then, the next time I turn it on, the PCs
    see NETWORK 2 and I have to again choose Home or Public network. I don't have to reenter
    the password though. The next time, the PCs will see it as NETWORK 3 and I have to choose Home
    or Public again.
    On my Nexus One the PCs would just always connect in the background without any interaction
    from me after the first time. Is this some setting I'm doing wrong on the phone or something with
    Windows?

Thanks!
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Default Re: WiFi Hotspot name seen by PC

So, to answer my own post! I did some more searching and came across a great answer on
    another website. The poster said that the default hotspot apps usually use the service provider's gateway
    while 3rd party apps set the device as the gateway. Switched back to using PDAnet again as I did on
    the Nexus One, and it connects the way I'm used to.