1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Anyone have a Nexus S and Nexus 4? Need help

I'd like to get a dock for my Nexus 4 that charges (don't care about syncing) in landscape mode. Looking on Amazon, I found this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0050Q4SKM/ref=s9_simh_gw_p107_d0_i4?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0RGNHJZKEHPMV61WG7D7&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1389517282&pf_rd_i=507846

I know it was designed for the Nexus S and the dimensions of the two phones are slightly different, but I'm hoping it may still work for the Nexus 4. Can anyone who has a Nexus S and Nexus 4 compare the micro USB ports to see how closely aligned they are?

Default Re: Anyone have a Nexus S and Nexus 4? Need help

That are both centered but the nexus s has that hump at the bottom. I'm sure that was taken into consideration with the dock. Also the Nexus 4 is wider so the ports will probably not align.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

It's probably not gonna work, sorry to say. The ports don't align, and by the look of that photo, the position of the micro-USB connector is not adjustable.

Looking at my N4 and NS, the port offset is considerable.

Search nexus 4 dock on YouTube. There is a 13$ dock for a Samsung infuse that works on the nexus 4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ux2f06L1yRQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

ROM
    Stock JB 4.1.2

I have the NS4G and the dock. I also have a Gnex and it will not work with the Gnex so I know it won't work work for the Nexus 4. Sorry. It sucks because there are no horizontal docks for the Sprint Gnex either, so I feel your pain.

What?! ...I'm msndrstood.
    via Gnex
    What?!...I'm msndrstood.

Sent via Note 2
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Thank you, everyone, for your responses. I really appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by 0ptimusv View Post
    Search nexus 4 dock on YouTube. There is a 13$ dock for a Samsung infuse that works on the nexus 4

Awesome post. Thank you very much. Do you have this dock, by chance? I looked at the reviews and found this comment:

So I saw a few forum postings that recommended this for my Nexus 4.

It fits snugly so probably going to have to remove that skin tight case you love so much.

It charges.

- BUT -

It doesn't charge much at all!

I guess these newer phones (Quad core?) require a stronger charger. I've charged up to 8 hours and it's still at half battery. There is a chance the original Nexus 4 charger can be connected to this dock for faster charge, but I haven't had time to test the theory. So beware Nexus 4 owners! Especially if your using this as an additional charge location and can't use the original wall charger to connect to the dock, you'll need to buy another one.
    I have the N4 charging from my laptop's dock USB port and it's charging fine. That's the same port I would plug the dock into. So, I assume the dock wouldn't interrupt that power supply since it's simply passing the current through to the device, right?