Nexus 5 (16GB and 32GB) for $399/ $449 with LTE and 5.5" screen

What do you think of the price ($399/$449) if it is indeed true?

• Total voters

kalocin

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Google being the developer of Android is already on the hook to support that operating system and I doubt they care about selling Nexus phones really, they just want to be in the handset.

Nexus is a marketing tool which happens to be a cool phone but it doesn't mean that there can't be many Nexus devices.

If LG wanted they could make an Android phone with a vanilla Android OS and sell it without Nexus branding.

If the smart phone market is getting mature enough, it might have to give the market what it demands and a 5.5" ~Nexus phone probably has a market so it's pretty silly to say it will never happen since Google couldn't really stop it if LG wanted to make one badly.

I think 5.5" is quite large for a phone but I don't want to stop someone from getting what they want out of spite over the Nexus 4's ~lack of LTE.

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
The 5.5 inch screen is a bit too big for a phone. Looks like a phablet now.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I played around with the note 2 at at&t and it is way too big. No way I would enjoy using it. For me the galaxy nexus and nexus 4 size is about the limit.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
If the smart phone market is getting mature enough, it might have to give the market what it demands and a 5.5" ~Nexus phone probably has a market so it's pretty silly to say it will never happen since Google couldn't really stop it if LG wanted to make one badly.

Actually, Google could easily stop LG from selling a 5.5" Nexus, since the Nexus brand belongs to Google. LG could make a stock Android 5.5" phablet if they wanted to, but it wouldn't be called a Nexus.

I really question the idea of a Nexus phablet. The phablet market is doing just fine without a Nexus version, and Google tends to use the Nexus brand to push the other OEMs to improve their own offerings while providing a clean device for developers and enthusiasts. The 7" Android tablet market was devoid of a decent device until the Nexus 7 (outside of e-readers), and the Nexus 10 is Google's way of prodding manufacturers to step up their game. Phablets were Samsung's baby, and there is no want of fans (or good hardware) in that market. It wouldn't do Google much good to pursue it.

MERCDROID

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I, personally, like bigger-screened phones and don't have a problem with a Nexus phablet. However, it's not a very likely scenario, to say the least. Nexus phones come with bone-stock Android, so there would be no software to take advantage of the extra screen real estate. The phone would be bigger just because lol; that's hardly Google's style. I can definitely see Google upping the screen size slightly, but it won't go over 5 inches; and as others have commented, we definitely won't see another Nexus phone until fall. I can understand your excitement or desire for another Nexus phone, but useless speculation is useless :p

Chex313

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Folks I prefer to live in the Fantasy world(Thats the world I'm in right before they announce a new nexus :) ) That is my dream phone in the Poll. 5.5" LTE(AT&T Please) and 32GB! Give me that and I promise, I will not complain or ask for another phone for at least 2 years. Its a perfect phone for me! I'll take two in fact(One for the wife)

I hope the new Google BM stores have a craptacular display of exotic phones and devices! They got me at nexus!

kalocin

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Actually, Google could easily stop LG from selling a 5.5" Nexus, since the Nexus brand belongs to Google. LG could make a stock Android 5.5" phablet if they wanted to, but it wouldn't be called a Nexus.

You missed the "~" which means kind of like but not exactly.

LG could make the equivalent of a 5.5" Nexus, call it something else and load an unmodified version of Android OS.

The name is just a name.

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
You missed the "~" which means kind of like but not exactly.

LG could make the equivalent of a 5.5" Nexus, call it something else and load an unmodified version of Android OS.

The name is just a name.

Ah, I just assumed you had mistaken the tilde for something else yourself.

That said, LG could do that, yes. I doubt they would, though. Manufacturers can't resist putting their own little touches on Android.

kalocin

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
And that's my point about a mature industry.

LG should be able to see that an unlocked phone with straight Android without a rediculous mark up (iPhone BOM ~$200) will create more demand than they can supply. Someone said phablet was a Samsung niche, LG could drink their milkshake if they felt like it.

Eventually Google will probably try to take their slice with the Motorola Mobility business so LG better figure out how to grab market share while they have an advantage (as manufacturer of Nexus phones).

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Much like Apple, Google isn't usually the first to do something, but rather they look at what others are doing and if they think that it can be done better they put out theirs to set a benchmark. The Nexus One was their answer to phones with slow laggy processors and no on board storage. The Nexus 7 was their answer to the Kindle Fire, Galaxy Tab 7 and an assortment of other 7 inch "craplet" (as Phil calls them). In both cases manufacturers were putting out mediocre products just to sell them. Google launched the Nexus 7 to serve as a platform for the Google Play re-branding and as a competitor to the Kindle Fire and Nook Tablet, as well as to set a minimum bar for other Android tablets. They showed you can do a high quality tablet and if you market it and price it well people will buy it. Up until then all of the 7" android tablets were pretty crappy.

The Nexus 10 appears to be an attempt to jump-start the stagnant 10" tablet market. With the exception of the Note 10.1 (and the Transformer with it's keyboard dock) there hasn't really been a compelling 10" tablet since the original Xoom. Jerry said in his review (and I totally agree now that i have one) that the Nexus 10 is a full generation ahead of the other 10" tablets on the market (I've had access to and used the Galaxy Tabs and Xyboards, and messed around with a couple of the Asus tablets). It's fast, lightweight, has great speakers, and an amazing (better than Retina) quality screen (and 2 solid cameras). This is how Google wants the next generation of tablets.

Right now I dont see them doing a "phablet". At this point it is more of a niche (a growing niche but a niche nonetheless). There have basically been 3 "phablets" of any consequence. The Dell Streak (notable because it was first),, the Note (and Note2), and the LG Vu (Intuition). Of these the only one selling in any real quantity is the Note series and both of them are beasts. Right now there is no need for Google to enter this market. If the niche continues to grow then I can see them releasing a "phablet" a year from now or so, but not now.

Don't confuse what you want with what makes sense for Google and Android.

Vanilla Ice

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I would like to see an option for "No way, 5 inch is my limit" or something to that effect. I want my phone to be pocketable. 4.7" phones are very close to the limit. A 5" phone with a 16:9 aspect might still work but no larger.

My Note ll fits just fine in my pocket. Size 34/32 American eagle Slim fit jeans (Just to clarify).... I find it funny when people compare a 5.5 inch phone to a tablet. My phone is way smaller then my iPad and wifes Nexus 7. 4.7 or 4.8 inch screen is a good size, but 5.0-5.5 inch Nexus will be better IMO. Shoot, Maybe Google needs to come out with two different sizes so it makes everyone happy. Just saying.

Last edited:

kalocin

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
My first phone was an LG flip phone, it wasn't sexy but it was solid.

My next was a Samsung that always had battery issues and I've been crutching along with for years.

My TV is an LG and it is pretty awesome.

Google has enough faith in LG to let them build a Nexus handset.

After reading the reviews I am confident that the Nexus 4 will do everything I need a whole lot better than what I use now and help declutter my pocket.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
It would certainly sell. I would not be surprised if Google "refreshed" the Nexus line in a few months with the 8gb going away and a 32gb appearing, much like what they did with the Nexus 7. Not saying it's going to happen, just that it wouldn't be unexpected.

They did it with the nexus 7 to correct a flaw in the original device. Tablet games are getting bigger and bigger and 5 gb of usable storage just won't cut it. The additional storage would be nice on a phone but its all but required on a tablet. The people who say they need more than 16 gb on a phone are a (verry vocal) minority.

It could happen I suppose but I just don't see it.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

kalocin

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
These days specsmanship is important.

Quad core processor and 2gb ram were some key things that made me decide to buy a Nexus 4.

If 32gb or 64gb versions were available, I would have strongly considered them so that I could load a bunch of music and a few movies for long plane flights and such.

With flash chips as cheap as they are, I'm surprised that those options were not available, especially since there is no micro SD slot or ability to connect a thumb drive.

I may eventually get one of the Patriot portable wifi hard drive enclosures so that I can take an extra terabyte with me.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thambu63