LTE in Canada No longer with 4.2.2?

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I currently have an S3, and I am grabbing a Nexus 4 today, I have been reading that since the upgrade to 4.2.2, LTE can no longer be accessed, yet the phone has LTE hardware?
I am a bit confused on all this, and every article I have read is stating "We are not sure if this is the case in Canada"
So my question is, is there anyone in Canada, even better on Telus using a Nexus 4 after upgrading to 4.2.2. and still getting LTE?
I welcome anyone to elaborate on this, and why google would limit the LTE use period?

Thanks

Bratigan

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm not an expert but my understanding is that LTE was disabled with 4.2.2. There is a way to fix this though and it requires flashing the 4.2.1
radio into the 4.2.2 ROM. I don't know how to do this exactly but I posted somewhere for help and I hope someone answered my inquiry. Hope this helps.

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm not an expert but my understanding is that LTE was disabled with 4.2.2. There is a way to fix this though and it requires flashing the 4.2.1
radio into the 4.2.2 ROM. I don't know how to do this exactly but I posted somewhere for help and I hope someone answered my inquiry. Hope this helps.

TY for the reply. It angers me that they have the hardware, but they disable it? Why on earth would google do that?

sledge007

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
http://www.droid-life.com/2013/02/1...one-vs-nexus-4-vs-droid-dna-vs-galaxy-note-2/

According to this spec comparison sheet, the Nexus 4 isn't supposed to have LTE anyway. Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I understand (from asking some people I know that have one), this was an exploit?

I posed the question in a Google group of mine, these were a couple of responses....whether they are accurate or not, I cannot verify, but these are coming from owners.
Lte was never supposed to be used on the Nexus 4, I believe it was an exploit that someone found, so because it's not supported, that's why they would take it away... At least that's what I thought. 

I was told that even though you could enable LTE on it and see it connect at LTE speed, the second you started moving it would drop to HSPA+ because they didn't actually put an LTE antenna in the phone (it's just the 3g chip they used also supported 4g) so your signal for LTE was only good when you were in the perfect position with a cell tower and not moving around much. 

sting7k

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
I currently have an S3, and I am grabbing a Nexus 4 today, I have been reading that since the upgrade to 4.2.2, LTE can no longer be accessed, yet the phone has LTE hardware?
I am a bit confused on all this, and every article I have read is stating "We are not sure if this is the case in Canada"
So my question is, is there anyone in Canada, even better on Telus using a Nexus 4 after upgrading to 4.2.2. and still getting LTE?
I welcome anyone to elaborate on this, and why google would limit the LTE use period?

Thanks

The snapdragon processor of the Nexus 4 has built in LTE support. That will get an LTE signal. However it will not be a good experience. As that alone is not enough to make it reliable. The Nexus 4 lacks the proper antenna structure, amplifiers, and other related hardware to make LTE useful. With 4.2.2 LG/Google killed it completely.

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Makes sense sting7k. Still makes me wonder why they didn't do it right though and make it an LTE phone since that is the way things are going? But I can live with 4G. LTE is a battery killer anyway!

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Something else that has not been mentioned is the USA requires all devices with wireless receivers and transmitters to go thru FCC (Federal Communications Commission) and become certified. That certificate basically states the wireless emissions are harmless to humans and dont cause interference to other devices. When LG sent the device to the FCC the testing was not done on the LTE chipset so its not certified to be used as an LTE device in the USA where the FCC has rule over the handset. Add to it what sting7K mentioned, missing the proper antennas, amps or what ever hardware might be associated could make the device cause harm to its self or people using it. However unlikely its a very slim possibility.
If we wanted to get right down to it, if someone were to modify their N4 to work with LTE and a rep from the FCC caught them they could theoretically get fined and have the device confiscated. The FCC has the right to do that with any device that is certified by them and has been tampered with. Add to that if you were to cause any interference with another FCC licensed device or transmitter site they could really come down on you. But with a device having such a small transmitter that isnt likely. And i dont see any of that happening.
IF the device is lacking the proper antennas what will happen is the LTE signal will suck, speeds will be slow and the device will run hot.. At least thats my guess.
As far as Canada goes, if the device is lacking the proper hardware google might be blocking the hack to enable LTE to prevent people from damaging the phone as well as other places outside the US. Inside the US they are doing it to cover their butts legally. By patching the hack, this now takes legal pressure off LG and Google in the US from the FCC if people modify their phone to work on LTE bands.

gigabitex2

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
I have telus/koodo and I'm waiting for a bit before upgrading my N7/ N4 to 4.2.2 but if you flash the .27 or .33 radio when on 4.2.2 you get Lte back. I have heard some people have problems with this and I believe it stops Google now from working..so I'll hang tuff and see what develops.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I have telus/koodo and I'm waiting for a bit before upgrading my N7/ N4 to 4.2.2 but if you flash the .27 or .33 radio when on 4.2.2 you get Lte back. I have heard some people have problems with this and I believe it stops Google now from working..so I'll hang tuff and see what develops.

What are the changes made in 4.2.2 as compared to 4.2?

sting7k

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Makes sense sting7k. Still makes me wonder why they didn't do it right though and make it an LTE phone since that is the way things are going? But I can live with 4G. LTE is a battery killer anyway!

I believe Google hinted that LTE was just simply not wide spread enough around the world yet. They wanted their phone to be more accessible to everyone. Adding in LTE for just a few countries at this time would have raised cost. It seems they were also soured to making two versions like they did with the Galaxy Nexus for Verizon and Sprint. As the LTE version of the GNexus was plagued with problems.

I normally keep LTE turned off on my iPhone 5 anyway because it destroys the battery. On top of that HSPA+ is already pretty fast...I regularly get 5-9Mbps down on my iPhone 5 and Nexus 4. I really don't need home internet speed on my phone.

If you NEED an LTE Android phone there are plenty of them out there. Exercise your power of choice people.

gigabitex2

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
What are the changes made in 4.2.2 as compared to 4.2?

I think the biggest change is the new security feature to authorize PC to access adb services on your device..makes it harder for a thief to reset your phone. Also changing the radio to shut down lte of course, like I said flashing either .27 or .33 will enable lte again but you will need .44 radio from 4.2.2 to receive any ota updates in the future.

teletraan1

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
Anyone who's actually updated to 4.2.2 on Rogers/Telus/Bell and can verify that LTE is no longer available?

I'm holding off on the update until I know for sure.

FRoStYisGoD

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
Anyone who's actually updated to 4.2.2 on Rogers/Telus/Bell and can verify that LTE is no longer available?

On Bell and although I don't have LTE where I am I can get LTE but with 1 bar and that's me putting the phone near a window lol, so haven't tried if it can connect or not to LTE, but the option to put the phone into LTE mode is in fact still there with 4.2.2.. Since I just got the notification of the upgrade last night and haven't switched to LTE yet as I haven't been in area but the option is there still to choose it.

Last edited:

canucks4life

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site

I can confirm on Telus in Vancouver when trying to select LTE/GSM auto in Phone info radio no longer switches over just defaults back to WCDMA preferred. Not really a huge issue for me but was nice to give my wife's iPhone who doesn't have a data plan some LTE speeds while using WiFi hotspot.

I decided to go ahead with 4.2.2 hoping it would improve WiFi performance but it has not...great if I'm 10ft away from my router but range seems very limited...actually just purchased a second WiFi router on sale today for my master bedroom it has become such an annoyance.

Qbancelli

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
The snapdragon processor of the Nexus 4 has built in LTE support. That will get an LTE signal. However it will not be a good experience. As that alone is not enough to make it reliable. The Nexus 4 lacks the proper antenna structure, amplifiers, and other related hardware to make LTE useful. With 4.2.2 LG/Google killed it completely.
Oh no, Not again!

"In the case of the Nexus 4, the hardware includes the latest and greatest cellular hardware from Qualcomm with MDM9215M, its third generation 28nm Category 3 LTE multimode baseband, and a WTR1605L transceiver. I tore down the Nexus 4 to ascertain whether PAs were present that could work with LTE, and saw indeed that at least bands 4, 2, and 1 did have Avago power amplifiers (A5704, A5702, and ACPM?7251) which noted support for LTE. The remaining piece of the puzzle was software stack, both in Android and inside the version of the AMSS (Advanced Mobile Subscriber Software) running onboard MDM9215M."

AnandTech - Nexus 4 Includes Support for LTE on Band 4 (AWS)

cozzy123

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
Anandtech reviewed the Nexus 4 LTE ability and at first they thought there were amps or other items missing but thats not the truth. They later said in an article that came out after that the nexus 4 is fully capable of LTE on Band 4. I am guessing that is no coincidence since it was released on T-Mobile exclusively in the U. S., which will have an LTE network that runs exclusively on band 4 (probably in the next month).

I am not sure why they released the Nexus 4 without this info attached to it. There must be a reason especially since it was proven that it has everything needed on band 4.

Who knows maybe Google will do a big reveal/patch/marketing thing when Tmobile U.S. releases their band 4 LTE.

Just in case though, I still sent google feedback and asked them to please patch in full LTE band 4 support so we can enjoy tmobile's new network and the people in other countries that have band 4 providers can also keep enjoying it.

Please send them requests to keep lte band 4 available in their nexus 4 at: Google Feedback

AnandTech - Nexus 4 Includes Support for LTE on Band 4 (AWS) <----please read and stop the "nexus 4 doesn't have proper amps, etc."

sting7k

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Hacking the few things that are there to maybe get you 1 band of LTE is hardly "LTE support" to me. LTE support to me means I put in my SIM and it works; but that's me.

mzanette

Zee
Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Hacking the few things that are there to maybe get you 1 band of LTE is hardly "LTE support" to me. LTE support to me means I put in my SIM and it works; but that's me.

Your original statement of

"That will get an LTE signal. However it will not be a good experience. As that alone is not enough to make it reliable. The Nexus 4 lacks the proper antenna structure, amplifiers, and other related hardware to make LTE useful. With 4.2.2 LG/Google killed it completely."

is not accurate. Nothing is "lacking" in the Nexus 4 to get a good LTE experience. It works on band 4, but it was never supposed to be included so Google has blocked it. Only getting 1 band of LTE is fine if your carrier supports that band (which in Canada is the case)

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Because they wanted to sell the phone as unlocked. The carriers won't allow that with LTE - they all have proprietary implementations of LTE and Google would have had the same update issues they had with the Galaxy Nexus.