I can no longer tether my pc (on Tmobile prepaid SIM).

minnemike

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
but what if you are not doubling up devices simultaneously, but only using one device at a time?

I just think they can't tell either way so they make a broad rule like this. I think they can only set up some sort of automated check to see if you are tethering to start with and from there it is random if some guy they assign is monitoring the reports.

There's also another argument that says you will never equal the data requirements on a phone that you would with a PC or tablet. Most people don't sit and watch movie after movie on a phone, but definitely do on a tablet, pc or media center for tv.

Although things are going to change real quick once phones start to become the pc or media center itself. Hell, I'm already planning it out with an external monitor, bluetooth speaker box, keyboard and mouse. They'll have to figure out a whole new level of phone only usage. :D

kalocin

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Actually I'm well aware of how contracts and business work.

The bottom line is if your lawyers aren't as good as their lawyers, you get screwed.

Most consumers do not retain lawyers or write contracts so they get screwed most of the time.

Unluckily not enough consumers know how to stand up for themselves so cell phone contract clauses mostly restrict the consumer, not the service provider.

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Contracts are not always enforceable. Vague, boilerplate, and unconscionable contracts are some of the exceptions that come to mind.

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
There's also another argument that says you will never equal the data requirements on a phone that you would with a PC or tablet. Most people don't sit and watch movie after movie on a phone, but definitely do on a tablet, pc or media center for tv.

I think that is reasonable, and as some have pointed out in this thread, the carriers take this into account. Also, a PC is more likely to be directed to full sites rather than mobile sites, and that alone will use more bandwidth...at least that is what I think. I see the argument on the other side too -- 5 GB (or whatever) is 5 GB of bandwidth whether tethered or not.

PWC Realtor

May 17, 2010
Visit site
They don't allow tethering because they know that people are going to try and use their network to replace home Internet which IS a strain on network resources.

There is talk that instead if data caps that maybe network bandwidth shaping is the answer. So maybe it becomes like landline ISPs where the more you pay per month the faster mb/s you get.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
They don't allow tethering because they know that people are going to try and use their network to replace home Internet which IS a strain on network resources.

Exactly. Just look around on these forums, especially the Galaxy Nexus LTE ones, and look at some of the data some people use. I see posts where people use 300 GB a month on Verizon LTE with unlimited plans, and Verizon can't do anything about it. You get too many people on one tower doing that and see what happens then. Not saying it is wrong to use the data you pay for however you want, but there has to be limits. If your plan has a hard cap, then fine use it however you want. If not, then we all know the rules of the game, pay the extra and get tethering. If I tethered I think it would be worth it to not have to deal with these issues and spend hours or days finding a workaround.

Oh by the way for me turning on data roaming actually made my speeds worse. I would hold on to HSPA better but pings were through the roof. Almost always over 500ms, and the one time it was at 17ms my dl speed was .06 mbps. Don't know if you seen an improvement but the slower speeds overall, and high pings were not worth it.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Oops guess I'm that category. Have a laptop, TV, DVD, 10inch tablet my nexus 7 , my gnexus and nexus4. Can't tell u last I used my TV laptop or 10 tablet most of time I'm happy with my gnexus and nexus4.
Seriously?? The ability to tether is an integral function of a Nexus device. I love my phone, and use it all throughout the day, but I could never understand why anyone would willingly choose to type emails and forum responses with their thumbs on a tiny keyboard/screen, when a pc is right in front of them. It's kind of like saying, "Why get up and turn on my 42" flat screen when I could just sit here and watch a movie on my little bitty 4" phone." The phone works great when you have no better option, but we often have other choices that work better.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

mbartcook

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Sorry dont have an answer for your question. but rather one for you. I have been thinking of doing just what you described, N4 with tmobile prepaid, and tether when im on a trip. What app do you use for the tether? I have heard that foxfi and pdanet dont work with the N4?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie