Did I Just Get a Free Nexus 4? And Should I Tell Google About It?

I_AM_THE_ENTIRE_INTERNET

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I'll list what happened in steps so you can tell me if I am full of it.

1. In early Feb, 2013, I ordered an 8gb Nexus 4 from the Google Play Store

2. I checked the transaction for 6 days after said purchase and it was still in pending status.

3. I checked my bank account and the money (with Google's information) had indeed been taken out

4. For the next few days, I kept on checking my email for shipping conformation. Nothing

5. I check my bank account and the money had been refunded by Google. I didn't cancel, but the money was 100% back in my account.

6. Well darn, I really, really want this phone so I ordered another one, but this time I ordered a 16gb version.

7. The 8gb version pending transaction never went away on Google Wallet.

8. I received shipping conformation on the 8gb Nexus 4 (the one I was refunded for) a little while back and the transaction went from pending to complete.

9. I check my bank account and the only phone I have paid for is the 16gb.

10. The 16gb version is still pending with an estimated delivery date of early March.

Wut do?

Last edited:

kmcochran

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I would wait until you actually receive the 8gb. They may take your money out again, once it really has been shipped. And honesty is the best policy. If you receive it and they don't charge your account for it, you should let them know.

I_AM_THE_ENTIRE_INTERNET

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
And honesty is the best policy. If you receive it and they don't charge your account for it, you should let them know.

Oh man... I was hoping someone would say, "Go ahead, man. They're a billion dollar company. What's $300?" I'm going to school and have little to no income. I could use this break, but you're probably right. I'll most likely do the right thing.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
probably not but there is a chance. when you order the phone google will do hold for that money as transaction to your account.
the money is not actually taken but it will be on hold(you wont be able to use it, at the same time Google didnt take it).
so, step 3 is actually that. if they dont ship the device with in 6-7 days and google didnt take the money the money will go from hold and will available for you to use.

so your step 1-5 7 actually happened to me as well. money was taken from my account after i received the device.

wunderbar

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
I know a guy who had something similar happen to him with his N4. It took him 3 weeks of trying to contact google for them to actually take his money. One of the oddest situations I've ever heard of.

Rizy7

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
The first time you saw the money taken out, it wasnt actually taken out but ringfenced. Google ask your bank to place a hold on your funds to make sure you actually have enough money to pay for the phone. However, Google are only allowed to hold funds for like a week or something. Probably explains why it looks like they have given you a free phone.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
A buddy of mine ordered a 16GB model back in December and received 2. True story because I bought the second one. He essentially got his for free.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317

sting7k

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
How far back is "a little while back" after you got notice the 8GB phone had shipped. With 2 day shipping it should be in your hands already.

Just wait and see what happens. Unless someone calls or is at your door asking for the money then there's nothing to do. Google is still new at this selling actual products thing. They will work out the kinks in time.

I_AM_THE_ENTIRE_INTERNET

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
How far back is "a little while back" after you got notice the 8GB phone had shipped. With 2 day shipping it should be in your hands already.

Just wait and see what happens. Unless someone calls or is at your door asking for the money then there's nothing to do. Google is still new at this selling actual products thing. They will work out the kinks in time.

Today.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Yeah u ain't robbing a bank or selling drugs I'll say keep it and do as u wish with it.

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.2 using Tapatalk 2

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
They don't charge you until after the phone ships, so don't assume that they're not going to catch up and bill you in the next few days.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

soma4society

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Well, they sure owe somebody something free of charge for the colossal cluster-bleep that was their initial launch. Might as well be you I guess. Call it karma and let it drift I say ;-)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

I_AM_THE_ENTIRE_INTERNET

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
The first time you saw the money taken out, it wasnt actually taken out but ringfenced. Google ask your bank to place a hold on your funds to make sure you actually have enough money to pay for the phone. However, Google are only allowed to hold funds for like a week or something. Probably explains why it looks like they have given you a free phone.

Nope. This is not the case. The phone is shipped. And my account doesn't allow overdrafting. I have exactly nine dollars in it right now and have an 8gb phone on the way and a Google Wallet that says my 16gb is pending but paid for.

jweimn

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Nope. This is not the case. The phone is shipped. And my account doesn't allow overdrafting. I have exactly nine dollars in it right now and have an 8gb phone on the way and a Google Wallet that says my 16gb is pending but paid for.

Give it time they'll charge your account and if they get that your bank says you don't have the money I'm sure Google will tack on a bunch of extra fees for that.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

oberkc

May 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to school and have little to no income. I could use this break, but you're probably right. I'll most likely do the right thing.
So you already know what it is to "do the right thing". I guess what you, then, are asking is whether being is school or being poor gives you special permission to NOT do the right thing (aka do the wrong thing)? Not to me it doesn't. If you can't afford the phone, you should not have ordered it.

Ultimately, I don't think you would be doing yourself any favor regardless. Allowing yourself to take the less moral path will utlimately take a toll on your self worth. Doing the right thing is worth more than $300. You will feel much better about yourself. Do the right thing for selfish reasons.

But, I think the question is moot. You will get charged for it, most likely.

I_AM_THE_ENTIRE_INTERNET

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
So you already know what it is to "do the right thing". I guess what you, then, are asking is whether being is school or being poor gives you special permission to NOT do the right thing (aka do the wrong thing)? Not to me it doesn't. If you can't afford the phone, you should not have ordered it.

Ultimately, I don't think you would be doing yourself any favor regardless. Allowing yourself to take the less moral path will utlimately take a toll on your self worth. Doing the right thing is worth more than $300. You will feel much better about yourself. Do the right thing for selfish reasons.

I don't think not telling them would shake the core of my moral foundation. Google is a great company, but they take information without permission all the time. And information is how they are a billion dollar company. When was the last time you got a paycheck from Google for all the unique information you provide them?

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think not telling them would shake the core of moral foundation. Google is a great company, but they take information without permission all the time. And information is how they are a billion dollar company. When was the last time you got a paycheck from Google for all the unique information you provide them?

Tall Mike 2145

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
PalpatinePuzzled.jpg

Wait. Google might be sending you a free phone? D*mn.

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
I'll list what happened in steps so you can tell me if I am full of it.

1. In early Feb, 2013, I ordered an 8gb Nexus 4 from the Google Play Store

2. I checked the transaction for 6 days after said purchase and it was still in pending status.

3. I checked my bank account and the money (with Google's information) had indeed been taken out

4. For the next few days, I kept on checking my email for shipping conformation. Nothing

5. I check my bank account and the money had been refunded by Google. I didn't cancel, but the money was 100% back in my account.

6. Well darn, I really, really want this phone so I ordered another one, but this time I ordered a 16gb version.

7. The 8gb version pending transaction never went away on Google Wallet.

8. I received shipping conformation on the 8gb Nexus 4 (the one I was refunded for) a little while back and the transaction went from pending to complete.

9. I check my bank account and the only phone I have paid for is the 16gb.

10. The 16gb version is still pending with an estimated delivery date of early March.

Wut do?

By law you are allowed to keep it.

My Mom Ordered One iPad And Best Buy Sent Five