N4 on AT&T

aensinger

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Just a friendly heads up for those who may have missed the thread a week or so ago...
Apparently AT&T has updated their systems to include the N4 IMEI's for HSPA+ data provisioning. No more digging up IMEI's for Atrixes (Atricies?) to get the speeds you are paying for.
I'd love to drop screenshots of my speed tests to objectively prove it's faster, but for whatever reason (probably gremlins), my speed test app returns horrid results (0.5 Mbps down, 0.3 up); meanwhile my web browsing and app downloading speeds are noticeably faster than before changing over. Take it for what it is, but I'm happy with it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

minnemike

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Way to go ATT (only about 3 months late :confused: )

I have my summer vacation cabin booked on Madeline Island and will have to get a month's worth of ATT when that time comes. Good to know it will be sorted out.

Tall Mike 2145

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
As far as I'm concerned, AT&T is really only for those who have poor T-Mo service in their area. No way in the world would I pay the kind of rates they want.

Or, obviously, for iPhone GSM customers because -- thanks, Apple! -- you have no other non-hacking choices.

williams448

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Just a friendly heads up for those who may have missed the thread a week or so ago...
Apparently AT&T has updated their systems to include the N4 IMEI's for HSPA+ data provisioning. No more digging up IMEI's for Atrixes (Atricies?) to get the speeds you are paying for.
I'd love to drop screenshots of my speed tests to objectively prove it's faster, but for whatever reason (probably gremlins), my speed test app returns horrid results (0.5 Mbps down, 0.3 up); meanwhile my web browsing and app downloading speeds are noticeably faster than before changing over. Take it for what it is, but I'm happy with it.

Go into your APN settings, and under proxy, leave it blank. That will fix your speedtest app problem. I had the same issue. Fixed it right away.

Sent from my badass, Android powered Nexus 4

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
As far as I'm concerned, AT&T is really only for those who have poor T-Mo service in their area. No way in the world would I pay the kind of rates they want.

Or, obviously, for iPhone GSM customers because -- thanks, Apple! -- you have no other non-hacking choices.

Or want LTE service. I have ATT and my wife has T mobile. Both are good in our area, but nothing I have seen beats ATT LTE in my area or State for that matter. Can take my Nexus 4 for a few days, but can't leave LTE completely. I think I think I pay less than my wife with my corporate discount but she had her mom on her account. Either way not a big difference. I want a premium network and premium speed and do not mind paying for it.

So I would say... T mobile is only for those that are pissed at ATT for some reason? Most of the people I know on TMO got pissed off at ATT for some reason...

Last edited:

minnemike

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
So I would say... T mobile is only for those that are pissed at ATT for some reason? Most of the people I know on TMO got pissed off at ATT for some reason...

Well, in this forum TMo rules the day (of course depending on your local coverage). Their H+ is simply better. As well, their future implementation of LTE could possibly blow everything out of the water too.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Well, in this forum TMo rules the day (of course depending on your local coverage). Their H+ is simply better. As well, their future implementation of LTE could possibly blow everything out of the water too.

We shall see about the LTE but I doubt it. T mobile does not lead in any category except maybe most post paid accounts...and subscribers leaving...:)

and this thread is N4 on ATT isn't it?

minnemike

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Actually, for THIS phone (Nexus 4), Tmo does in fact lead in data speed. Show me someone with a speed test faster than Tmo with a Nexus 4 and I lose the argument. :D

348431-fmn-chart-atlanta-500.jpg

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Actually, for THIS phone (Nexus 4), Tmo does in fact lead in data speed. Show me someone with a speed test faster than Tmo with a Nexus 4 and I lose the argument. :D

http://www1.pcmag.com/media/images/348431-fmn-chart-atlanta-500.jpg?thumb=y

Not sure we were arguing but I hear what you are saying. You meant the Nexus 4 Forum I now see. I cannot disagree with that...which is why I have a Note 2 also! ;) No doubt about the fact that the N4 screams on the TMO 42mbps Network!

aensinger

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
To be fair, I get a 30% discount on AT&T through work, and TMO coverage here is pretty spotty.

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Same here with the discounts. I don't have issues
with AT&T. Looked at the prepaid plans T-Mobile has and the plan I have beats them all because of my. government discount.

To be fair, I get a 30% discount on AT&T through work, and TMO coverage here is pretty spotty.

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
T-Mobile coverage is poor compared to AT&T.

Chex313

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site

For those who travel everyday T-Mo is out. I can drive 1000 miles on the east coast and be out of 3G for maybe 50 mile of it. Also my bill with the 24% FAN discount is $121 and my work pays $40 of it. Thats 2 Unlimited(Really 3GB) Plans and 1 3GB plan.

AOCBreeze

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I have been tempted by T-Mobile's siren song chime but my FAN discount and work subsidization makes AT&T impossible to leave. That 24% discount adds up quickly...

Only1Z

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
I have been tempted by T-Mobile's siren song chime but my FAN discount and work subsidization makes AT&T impossible to leave. That 24% discount adds up quickly...

Yeah I have a 24% discount as well and I get a $50 stipend from my work as well. However, with the Simple Choice plans at T-Mobile, I'd still save about $30 a month with T-Mobile. I've been considering it but I travel a lot for work (mainly flying to mostly metropolitan areas) and am concerned about T-Mobile's coverage. My coworkers said that they had no data in New Jersey on a work trip recently along with super spotty coverage in Atlanta. Around here in Chicago though, everyone likes T-Mobile. I'm really torn since I would like to reward T-Mobile for their recent contributions to the mobile industry. I just have a nice discount with AT&T that I can't get back once it's gone. I might hook up T-Mobile for a month since I'll be checking out Denver and Houston this month and just see how it is.

gvndeb60

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I have a 24% discount as well and I get a $50 stipend from my work as well. However, with the Simple Choice plans at T-Mobile, I'd still save about $30 a month with T-Mobile. I've been considering it but I travel a lot for work (mainly flying to mostly metropolitan areas) and am concerned about T-Mobile's coverage. My coworkers said that they had no data in New Jersey on a work trip recently along with super spotty coverage in Atlanta. Around here in Chicago though, everyone likes T-Mobile. I'm really torn since I would like to reward T-Mobile for their recent contributions to the mobile industry. I just have a nice discount with AT&T that I can't get back once it's gone. I might hook up T-Mobile for a month since I'll be checking out Denver and Houston this month and just see how it is.

You can always switch to save the money each month and when traveling use A prepaid att or Verizon hotspot for data. Just a thought.

I wish I could switch but 20 miles north of me and 10 miles south and T-Mobile drops to 2G. Sucks BC where I live is refarmed 1900 and 42mbps. So tempting.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

JamesTBurns

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
In all parts of southern California I've tested, T-Mobile blows away AT&T on the Nexus 4, not even close. I wouldn't be surprised if TMO's LTE beats AT&T when it gets here as well, particularly in Los Angeles, where it is really spotty to non-existent.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech