Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree10Likes
  • 2 Post By greydarrah
  • 2 Post By loosecannon6
  • 1 Post By NexuxGirIX
  • 2 Post By big_time2
  • 3 Post By Johnbibbs
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Anyone owned only Nexus Phones or had all four of them?

I owned the Nexus S for about a week after it came out with GSM. I was not very impressed at the time. Needless to say the Nexus has come a long way...I am excited to see what the Nexus 5 will bring.

I am sure those who have owned them all have seen some pretty profound changes in design and technology in hardward and of course Android.
    Moto X 32GB Pure, iPhone 6 Plus Unlocked, OnePlus One (64GB),Xperia Z2, LG G3, Lumia 925 8.1 Cyan, Nexus 5 (32GB), Moto X (32GB), Lumia 1020, Google Edition S4, Galaxy S4 (32GB), S4 Active, Nexus 4, Note 2, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note (ATT), Galaxy Note Intl., Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, Nexus S, Atrix 2, Atrix, Galaxy S1 Captivate, Nexus 7 (32GB), iPad 4, Dell Venue Pro 8

Default Re: Anyone owned only Nexus Phones or had all four of them?

I had nexus S for a year and then got Nexus 4. never owned a non nexus Android smart phone.

I have owned the nexus one and now the galaxy nexus, not too convinced with the nexus 4 and my galaxy nexus is still serving me well. Anybody who owned the nexus one knows it was built like a tank and felt very premium although it had some hardware issues like the crappy GPU, low internal memory and no multi touch.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

I've owned the last 3, as well as a couple of others (Droid X and Bionic). As long as they keep putting a new Nexus out every year, I'll keep buying the next one. For me, it's the best phone out, hands down. There are definitely other interesting devices, like the Note and now the HTC One, but in my opinion, they are always too cluttered with both manufacturer and carrier bloat/skins. If you like the skins (for instance, Sense), you can usually find a ROM that mimics it. The biggest thing for me is running up to date Android OS. You have any idea how many phones out there have only recently gotten ICS? I got so tired of verizon and their update games. Giving up LTE (from verizon) was worth getting away from that crap and their over weight fees. My wife and I have gone from a $3,000 per year bill down to $1,080, and not felt the first slip in service.
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!
    Take better pictures with your cell phone camera...http://www.bigshotmoms.com/
    J T M and planoman like this.

Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (soon to be PA3)

I've been Nexus-only since my first Android device. Pre-ordered a Nexus 7 in June and recently got a Nexus 4.
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,518 Global Posts
    ROM
    Muzzyz 4.2.1 build

I had the ns4g and now the Gnex.

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.2 using Tapatalk 2

I have owned every nexus I and I must say I love them every time I pick up any other android phone I'm immediately discouraged do to the skin on Android i just love the stock experience
    Quote Originally Posted by planoman View Post
    I owned the Nexus S for about a week after it came out with GSM. I was not very impressed at the time. Needless to say the Nexus has come a long way...I am excited to see what the Nexus 5 will bring.

I am sure those who have owned them all have seen some pretty profound changes in design and technology in hardward and of course Android.
    big_time2 and guinnkevinr like this.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Got some great die hard nexus fans! Sweet! I must say the nexus 7 I got before after thanksgiving really had me thinking about the nexus 4. Once I got it, I really liked how far android has come.

Having the latest updates is a big deal to me now having gotten tired of the waiting game from Samsung and att. So glad my note 2 shipped with jelly bean (and a crapload of bloat). It will be sweet to have the latest OS.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317
    Moto X 32GB Pure, iPhone 6 Plus Unlocked, OnePlus One (64GB),Xperia Z2, LG G3, Lumia 925 8.1 Cyan, Nexus 5 (32GB), Moto X (32GB), Lumia 1020, Google Edition S4, Galaxy S4 (32GB), S4 Active, Nexus 4, Note 2, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note (ATT), Galaxy Note Intl., Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, Nexus S, Atrix 2, Atrix, Galaxy S1 Captivate, Nexus 7 (32GB), iPad 4, Dell Venue Pro 8

The Nexus 4 was my first. I got it a week ago and already wanted more. Got a Nexus 7 yesterday so I'm having fun now. The Nexus 4 is my first Android after using iPhones.
    guinnkevinr likes this.

I previously had a nexus s 4g. I just ordered a nexus 7 yesterday. I figure I can use it in place of my nook and have the added function of the Kindle as well

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

I had all four of them, though I got rid of Galaxy Nexus about five or six months later. I didn't get rid of it, just stopped using it. Nexus One was probably the only phone out of these four that refused to break/crack/scratch, I dropped that thing so many times, left it in the car overnight in freezing weather, left it in the car during hot humid days of August, it still worked. I sold it to a guy I worked with and I'm pretty sure he used it for a year after I sold it to him.
    J T M and planoman like this.

I owned all four of them. It's my annual upgrade.

I've tried touchwiz and sense skinned phones and I just can't use them after being on vanilla android.
    big_time2, J T M and planoman like this.

My first android phone was a Motorola Atrix 2. It was a relatively snappy phone at the time and it served almost all of my needs. The biggest problem was getting updates. I was on GB for many months even after ICS came out, then JB came out and I was still waiting for ICS. Motorola just kept delaying the update and giving false hope (basically they gave us a timeframe and then at the end of the timeframe they would delay the update further). The last straw was when Moto decided to randomly drop all support of the Atrix 2 immediately after the ICS update, even though the phone was less than 1 year old. Needless to say I am extremely happy with my Nexus 4. Not only do I get top of the line hardware, but I also get the commitment from Google that my phone will be supported in terms of updates for at least the next 2 years. I also have a Nexus 7, and I got that when it first came out. I'm still not sure if I will get the Nexus 5 when it comes out, I guess it depends on the specs of the phone. I have also fallen in love with stock android, which just makes me love Nexus devices even more.

TL;DR: I had a Motorola Atrix 2, Moto lied to us and delayed updates then dropped support completely. I now have a Nexus 4 and 7 and love them both.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    - Motorola Atrix 2 - Nexus 7 - Nexus 4

I've had the nexus s, gsm gnex, and now nexus 4 along with probably 10 other android phones (RAZR,S2, evo,evo 3d, droid x, incredible, og droid,droid 2, and epic 4g)
    And an iPhone 4. I there are things I loved and hated about all of those phones. S2 or gnex are probably my 2 favorite overall phones I've owned. Not getting another phone unless its nexus or has a 3000mah+ battery.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Quote Originally Posted by celliott96 View Post
    My first android phone was a Motorola Atrix 2. It was a relatively snappy phone at the time and it served almost all of my needs. The biggest problem was getting updates. I was on GB for many months even after ICS came out, then JB came out and I was still waiting for ICS. Motorola just kept delaying the update and giving false hope (basically they gave us a timeframe and then at the end of the timeframe they would delay the update further). The last straw was when Moto decided to randomly drop all support of the Atrix 2 immediately after the ICS update, even though the phone was less than 1 year old. Needless to say I am extremely happy with my Nexus 4. Not only do I get top of the line hardware, but I also get the commitment from Google that my phone will be supported in terms of updates for at least the next 2 years. I also have a Nexus 7, and I got that when it first came out. I'm still not sure if I will get the Nexus 5 when it comes out, I guess it depends on the specs of the phone. I have also fallen in love with stock android, which just makes me love Nexus devices even more.

TL;DR: I had a Motorola Atrix 2, Moto lied to us and delayed updates then dropped support completely. I now have a Nexus 4 and 7 and love them both.

I had the OG Atrix (with the fingerprint scanner) and then had the Atrix 2 for a while until the SGSII Skyrocket came out and launched the LTE network on ATT. I really liked the Atrix 2. I was a great little phone with good heft and build quality. Did not like the 8GB for apps but it had a qHD screen, which was nice. I did not like the motoblur skin very much even though they had really cut it down in the Atrix 2. I remember if I was storing apps to my SD card they would disappear. Moto said it was a known problem and not to move apps to SD which was the rage at the time. Not sure if they ever fixed it.

I've had and tested pretty much every android phone that I can get my hands on. The Nexus line has always been my cup of tea to more in part to Vanilla. So tasty.
    I never had the Nexus One but I had the Nexus S (Loved It), The Galaxy Nexus before it was released (Loved it), and Now the Nexus 4 (Like it a lot but sometimes miss the excitement I had for the Galaxy Nexus). For some reason I liked the Gnex more than the 4 but I'm very happy with the 4.

I also remember having the developer G1 when that was released. It was my first android phone and I was in love. Perfect use of a keyboard and screen. I'd give anything for something similar but with today's top of the line specs and a sick look to it. PLEASE!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnbibbs View Post
    I owned all four of them. It's my annual upgrade.

I've tried touchwiz and sense skinned phones and I just can't use them after being on vanilla android.
    I agree with you. I've tried so hard to give love to HTC and Samsung phones but the skinned overlays are horrid with some disgusting looking icons.

Not cute at all.

Global Posts
    1,035 Global Posts

I still have my Nexus One and if it didn't suffer from lack of memory I'd still be using it! Neat phone. I use both the Nexus 4 and 7, and my son inherited my Galaxy Nexus.

Global Posts
    1,141 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.1.2

NS4G was my first Android phone. Now have the Gnex. No N4 since I'm with Sprint. Love them both. I'll only buy Nexus devices, so I'm patiently waiting for the next incarnation in the Nexus line which i do believe will be CDMA compatible. My husband has an SII and my daughter has the Note 2, great phones but just not my beloved Nexus.

What?! ...I'm msndrstood.
    via Gnex
    What?!...I'm msndrstood.

Sent via Note 2

Started with a G1 (the nexus before the nexus =), got a Nexus S 4G for the wife, then I got myself a GSM Galaxy Nexus for $650 before Google started selling them direct. Then was lucky enough to jump on the first batch of Nexus 4's, and gave my wife the Galaxy Nexus. Pretty happy with the GNex and N4. The NS4G wasn't too bad either, imo.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

Quote Originally Posted by reuthermonkey View Post
    Started with a G1 (the nexus before the nexus =), got a Nexus S 4G for the wife, then I got myself a GSM Galaxy Nexus for $650 before Google started selling them direct. Then was lucky enough to jump on the first batch of Nexus 4's, and gave my wife the Galaxy Nexus. Pretty happy with the GNex and N4. The NS4G wasn't too bad either, imo.
    I remember the G1 and laughing at it due to it's odd shape and that analog clock. I was a die hard blackberry man then...my how a few years changes things!

Quote Originally Posted by reuthermonkey View Post

Quote Originally Posted by ryanr509 View Post
    I've had the nexus s, gsm gnex, and now nexus 4 along with probably 10 other android phones (RAZR,S2, evo,evo 3d, droid x, incredible, og droid,droid 2, and epic 4g)
    And an iPhone 4. I there are things I loved and hated about all of those phones. S2 or gnex are probably my 2 favorite overall phones I've owned. Not getting another phone unless its nexus or has a 3000mah+ battery.
    How much money do you spend on phones each month?

Quote Originally Posted by bigtime2 View Post
    How much money do you spend on phones each month?
    75% I use an upgrade to get a phone and then just trade on craigslist. I got the epic 4g traded for an evo 3d then traded that for an iPhone 4. Bought the RAZR last year for a super good deal off a Verizon employee for $200 then used it for 6 months and sold it for $250. If u look at stuff on Craig's list there is some excellent deals because people need the money and or want to trade for a lesser item. Most I paid for a phone was $400 for the note off of swappa.com