Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Nexus 4 Update 4.2.2 Error

    I can't seem to update my Nexus 4 to 4.2.2. My Nexus 4 is rooted, is this causing the update error? Tried several times, no luck. Help.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Nexus 4 Update 4.2.2 Error

    Not sure why...I was rooted...took the OTA update and it went through fine. I had to re-root though, but that was to be expected.
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Nexus 4 Update 4.2.2 Error

    Yeah, mine just took me to CWM update type screen in recovery, made me pick something like "install untrusted zip," then rebooted and now shows 4.2.1. I'm not worried though, because I like 4.2.1 and doubt any of us will notice a difference in 4.2.2 anyway. It'll happen when it happens.
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!
    Take better pictures with your cell phone camera...http://www.bigshotmoms.com/
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Nexus 4 Update 4.2.2 Error

    do you have a custom recovery installed?
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

    Default Re: Nexus 4 Update 4.2.2 Error

    I just rooted and am using a launcher. That's all. No mods.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
  6. #6  
    Rizy7's Avatar

    Posts
    643 Posts
    ROM
    LiquidSmooth

    Default Re: Nexus 4 Update 4.2.2 Error

    You sure you did not remove any system apps or even a change in one of the system files? What error do you get when trying to do the update?
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

    Default Re: Nexus 4 Update 4.2.2 Error

    I did not. Just the word error...

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Nexus 4 Update 4.2.2 Error

    Yeah but when you rooted, did you install a custom recovery because I believe that will prevent ota updates.
  9. #9  
    Rizy7's Avatar

    Posts
    643 Posts
    ROM
    LiquidSmooth

    Default Re: Nexus 4 Update 4.2.2 Error

    Quote Originally Posted by mr_nobody View Post
    Yeah but when you rooted, did you install a custom recovery because I believe that will prevent ota updates.
    Custom recoveries do not prevent ota updates
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Nexus 4 Update 4.2.2 Error

    Just going on what 2defmouze says here, quite possible I'm not understanding something though:

    "PSA for Rooted users only:
    POINT #1:
    If you are rooted and don't know if you have a custom recovery, you probably do, and won't likely be able to install the OTA until you flash the stock recovery. This is very simple to do! The Nexus Toolkit many used to unlock and root has an option to flash just the stock recovery for you. Alternatively, you can grab the stock recovery by unzipping the factory image from Google (see my Factory Image Restore thread) and locating the recovery.img file, then flashing it yourself via fastboot using:
    fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    The OTA should install fine now. However..... "

    http://forums.androidcentral.com/goo...ml#post2224722
  11. #11  
    tgp
    tgp is offline
    tgp's Avatar

    Posts
    472 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts

    Default Re: Nexus 4 Update 4.2.2 Error

    Quote Originally Posted by Rizy7 View Post
    Custom recoveries do not prevent ota updates
    I thought custom recoveries DO prevent OTA updates. Maybe it depends what the update is?

    My Nexus 4 is completely stock, but it's rooted. I had to unroot it to install the 4.2.2 OTA update.
  12. #12  
    Rizy7's Avatar

    Posts
    643 Posts
    ROM
    LiquidSmooth

    Default Re: Nexus 4 Update 4.2.2 Error

    Quote Originally Posted by mr_nobody View Post
    Just going on what 2defmouze says here, quite possible I'm not understanding something though:

    "PSA for Rooted users only:
    POINT #1:
    If you are rooted and don't know if you have a custom recovery, you probably do, and won't likely be able to install the OTA until you flash the stock recovery. This is very simple to do! The Nexus Toolkit many used to unlock and root has an option to flash just the stock recovery for you. Alternatively, you can grab the stock recovery by unzipping the factory image from Google (see my Factory Image Restore thread) and locating the recovery.img file, then flashing it yourself via fastboot using:
    fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    The OTA should install fine now. However..... "

    http://forums.androidcentral.com/goo...ml#post2224722
    Quote Originally Posted by tgp View Post
    I thought custom recoveries DO prevent OTA updates. Maybe it depends what the update is?

    My Nexus 4 is completely stock, but it's rooted. I had to unroot it to install the 4.2.2 OTA update.
    Having a custom recovery would prevent OTA updates in the past. I think this has changed in the newer updates or with the introduction of updated custom recoveries. I updated my phone from 4.2.1 to 4.2.2 while stock rooted with TWRP recovery. The OTA went through fine. I did lose my root and custom recovery however and had to re root
    Thanked by:
  13. #13  
    Rizy7's Avatar

    Posts
    643 Posts
    ROM
    LiquidSmooth

    Default Re: Nexus 4 Update 4.2.2 Error

    OP have you tried manually flashing the update?

Similar Threads

  1. Can't Update to Froyo, MTP Error
    By larrytxeast in forum AT&T Captivate
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-23-2011, 02:08 AM
  2. Galaxy Nexus Updates Controlled by Samsung not Google
    By PhyscoAssassinX in forum Google / Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 12-14-2011, 08:23 PM
  3. Galaxy Nexus Updated to Version 4.1
    By kca2000 in forum Verizon Galaxy Nexus
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 12-02-2011, 04:28 PM
  4. Second GB Update/Patch Reboot Issue - Error Log Message
    By lparsons in forum Verizon Droid Incredible
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-21-2011, 02:09 PM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-24-2011, 12:17 AM

Posting Permissions