Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Nexus 4 Update 4.2.2 Error

I can't seem to update my Nexus 4 to 4.2.2. My Nexus 4 is rooted, is this causing the update error? Tried several times, no luck. Help.

Default Re: Nexus 4 Update 4.2.2 Error

Not sure why...I was rooted...took the OTA update and it went through fine. I had to re-root though, but that was to be expected.

Yeah, mine just took me to CWM update type screen in recovery, made me pick something like "install untrusted zip," then rebooted and now shows 4.2.1. I'm not worried though, because I like 4.2.1 and doubt any of us will notice a difference in 4.2.2 anyway. It'll happen when it happens.
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!
    Take better pictures with your cell phone camera...http://www.bigshotmoms.com/

do you have a custom recovery installed?
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I just rooted and am using a launcher. That's all. No mods.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

ROM
    LiquidSmooth

You sure you did not remove any system apps or even a change in one of the system files? What error do you get when trying to do the update?
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

I did not. Just the word error...

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Yeah but when you rooted, did you install a custom recovery because I believe that will prevent ota updates.

ROM
    LiquidSmooth

Quote Originally Posted by mr_nobody View Post
    Yeah but when you rooted, did you install a custom recovery because I believe that will prevent ota updates.
    Custom recoveries do not prevent ota updates

Just going on what 2defmouze says here, quite possible I'm not understanding something though:

"PSA for Rooted users only:
    POINT #1:
    If you are rooted and don't know if you have a custom recovery, you probably do, and won't likely be able to install the OTA until you flash the stock recovery. This is very simple to do! The Nexus Toolkit many used to unlock and root has an option to flash just the stock recovery for you. Alternatively, you can grab the stock recovery by unzipping the factory image from Google (see my Factory Image Restore thread) and locating the recovery.img file, then flashing it yourself via fastboot using:
    fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    The OTA should install fine now. However..... "

http://forums.androidcentral.com/goo...ml#post2224722
    tgp

Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rizy7 View Post
    Custom recoveries do not prevent ota updates
    I thought custom recoveries DO prevent OTA updates. Maybe it depends what the update is?

My Nexus 4 is completely stock, but it's rooted. I had to unroot it to install the 4.2.2 OTA update.

ROM
    LiquidSmooth

Quote Originally Posted by mr_nobody View Post
    Just going on what 2defmouze says here, quite possible I'm not understanding something though:

"PSA for Rooted users only:
    POINT #1:
    If you are rooted and don't know if you have a custom recovery, you probably do, and won't likely be able to install the OTA until you flash the stock recovery. This is very simple to do! The Nexus Toolkit many used to unlock and root has an option to flash just the stock recovery for you. Alternatively, you can grab the stock recovery by unzipping the factory image from Google (see my Factory Image Restore thread) and locating the recovery.img file, then flashing it yourself via fastboot using:
    fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    The OTA should install fine now. However..... "

http://forums.androidcentral.com/goo...ml#post2224722
    Quote Originally Posted by tgp View Post
    I thought custom recoveries DO prevent OTA updates. Maybe it depends what the update is?

My Nexus 4 is completely stock, but it's rooted. I had to unroot it to install the 4.2.2 OTA update.
    Having a custom recovery would prevent OTA updates in the past. I think this has changed in the newer updates or with the introduction of updated custom recoveries. I updated my phone from 4.2.1 to 4.2.2 while stock rooted with TWRP recovery. The OTA went through fine. I did lose my root and custom recovery however and had to re root
    Thanked by:

ROM
    LiquidSmooth

OP have you tried manually flashing the update?