Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default straight talk free sim card trick works?

i read something interesting today. somebody said he bought free flip-open phone on straighttalk.com with 45$ plan bundle. and he just took out the sim card from the phone and use with his smart phone. it is like he got the sim card for free!
    i checked i still can buy this phone now, but i am wondering if that sim card is available with nexus 4 and hspa+

Default Re: straight talk free sim card trick works?

I bought a straight talk phone at Walmart A few weeks ago and activated it. I thought it would be possible to use the sim in an unlocked phone and so I tried. Didn't work. looks like the sim is locked to the phone. My phone shows no service.
    tgp

Global Posts
    2,160 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NexuxGirIX View Post
    I bought a straight talk phone at Walmart A few weeks ago and activated it. I thought it would be possible to use the sim in an unlocked phone and so I tried. Didn't work. looks like the sim is locked to the phone. My phone shows no service.
    That's the way I understand it works; if you buy a Straight Talk GSM phone, the SIM card is locked to the phone.

Global Posts
    1,096 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS

I believe the SIM card being activated has to be registered to a credit card account in order for them to pull the monies. Other wise how would they activate it for free.
    my Nexus 5 32GB

Quote Originally Posted by chestvrg View Post
    I believe the SIM card being activated has to be registered to a credit card account in order for them to pull the monies. Other wise how would they activate it for free.
    "with 45$ plan bundle" ?

Global Posts
    1,096 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS

Quote Originally Posted by Unicorn Rancher View Post
    "with 45$ plan bundle" ?
    Well I had the $45 per month plan but never really bought a phone with it. I ordered my SIM directly from ST.
    my Nexus 5 32GB
    tgp

Global Posts
    2,160 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tgp View Post
    That's the way I understand it works; if you buy a Straight Talk GSM phone, the SIM card is locked to the phone.
    I need to correct my own post! I thought of it later that I did the very thing the OP mentioned (although I most certainly did not get the SIM card for free!). I bought a prepaid T-Mobile Galaxy Exhibit II 4G and used it for a couple months. Then I bought a Galaxy Nexus, took the SIM card out of the Exhibit, put it in the Nexus, and it worked fine. The SIM card was definitely not locked to the phone.

you need to buy the straight talk micro or compatible sim card only..... retail price about $15.00....you can normally purchase it online if not in a Walmart store..

that aint true. i had a straighttalk sim card and then i bought an unlocked phone and used the same sim card