Ram Manager on Nexus 4?

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Okay, I am coming from a Galaxy S3 where I could hold the home button and get this screen;

f646283e-dd81-4b1a-80a5-31ee3776199f_zpsc9da7412.jpg

On the Nexus 4. I can tap the bottom right button, and swipe away the open apps, but I;
A) Can't figure out how to trash them all at once
B) Can't figure out how to get into the Ram Manager, Active Apps, Downloaded Apps etc. Like in this screen;

ee132f0a-ea10-494c-881c-59cea9ebcdef_zps51660f2d.jpg

Is there even such a menu or a way to do this on the Nexus 4? Built in like the Galaxu S3, so I don't have to download a 3rd party app. Like Task Killer.

Thanks!

Last edited:

benjdm

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I think the OS is good enough at managing the RAM that I have no interest in clearing memory...I'm guessing the S3 screen is part of Samsung's version of Android. You can see RAM usage in Settings>Apps if you swipe once to the right to look at Running Apps.

wunderbar

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
You don't need to manage ram on android now. The OS manages it itself. It may look full but every modern operating system, desktop and mobile, wants to fill up all the ram it can with the apps you use the most. IF you start something else it frees up space that isn't being used for the new app. Forcing apps to close now could actually decrease battery life and performance with modern android.

The task manager/ram view in TouchWiz is a leftover bit from the first versions of touchwiz on the first Galaxy S when Ram management mattered a little more.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
A) Can't figure out how to trash them all at once
B) Can't figure out how to get into the Ram Manager, Active Apps, Downloaded Apps etc. Like in this screen;
Almost 150 views and no one know? :(

Unused RAM is wasted RAM. clearing RAM will decrease performance and increase battery usage.
Android take care of the memory very effectively now

A) its not there in stock Android, the one on S3 was build by samsung.
i use to use task manager on my old nexus S on android 2.3 but with Nexus 4 i dont use that app at all.

B) settings-->Apps

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
You don't need to manage ram on android now. The OS manages it itself. It may look full but every modern operating system, desktop and mobile, wants to fill up all the ram it can with the apps you use the most. IF you start something else it frees up space that isn't being used for the new app. Forcing apps to close now could actually decrease battery life and performance with modern android.

The task manager/ram view in TouchWiz is a leftover bit from the first versions of touchwiz on the first Galaxy S when Ram management mattered a little more.

Thanks for the info and explanation! Appreciate it!

Rooshan Siddiqui

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site

How do you kill all the unused apps at once , not the ones which can be seen by the Right button at the button but use up the ram. The battery is being used up by these apps which run in the background

Sicily1918

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
How do you kill all the unused apps at once , not the ones which can be seen by the Right button at the button but use up the ram. The battery is being used up by these apps which run in the background
Wile they do take up RAM, they shouldn't be using battery at all -- they're daemons (and other background processes) that sit there and do nothing until called up by the master program and/or kernel. The only time they use up battery is when they're first loaded (upon boot or if they've been killed), other than that, chatty ones might use up maybe 5 seconds of CPU time per day... I'm seeing after 62 hours of uptime that I have hundreds of tasks with 00:00 time used up.

If you kill these tasks, be aware that the master program will either not work right, or, much more likely, will re-launch the daemon as soon as it needs it or notices that it's not there (sometimes within seconds of your killing it).

Linux (well, Unix, but whatever) is actually very good at managing this stuff -- it was actually designed to behave this way. One thing that's harder to see in Android (Unix/Linux, just use top) is to boot up clean and watch as the kernel eats up all free memory over the course of a week... free memory actually takes the kernel longer to assign to programs, since it has to figure out what goes where (paging, mem addressing and all sorts of low-level crap) first, before actually giving it out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Artistnos