Nexus 4: has anyone downloaded snapdragon battery guru?

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Re: has anyone downloaded snapdragon battery guru?

Andrew posted his own take on the app yesterday. He has some misgivings about what apps it chooses to limit, and seems wary that even if you set an app (like Gmail) to sync whenever it wants, the app could reset it at some later point. To me that seems a little paranoid, but then I would have thought that an app you check constantly would get the green light from the Qualcomm app in the first place. Time will tell. Mine is now in learning mode. Anyone with the app now fully operational see any problems with push notifications, or settings going back to what the app first chose instead of what you chose?

Go Ogle

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

Yea mine doesn't save my choices now that I'm out of learning mode.. Weird

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

royalpig180

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site

Just installed it, I'll get back to y'all with the effects on my battery life in a few days time...

Sent from my Nexus 4

bearballz72

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site

Yeah I loaded it last night. According to the app it's still "learning".

I guess I'll wait and see what has to say. Seems like a interesting idea, but whether it actually works is the question.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site

I downloaded it, but then saw that everything it could do automatically I can do manually. Shut off wifi.. shut off unnecessary apps running in the background mamanually syn, check email and etc. I don't need another app running in the background.. when... like I said... I can do these things manually and easily.

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site

Anyone with the app now fully operational see any problems with push notifications, or settings going back to what the app first chose instead of what you chose?
I do have it fully operational now, though it's been less than 24 hours. I have not noticed any problems with push notifications. I haven't manually set any of the app preferences though.

PWC Realtor

May 17, 2010
Visit site

I caught that it turned off GMail Sync totally. Overrode the setting in the app then turned GMail sync back on. Crossing fingers that it sticks once off learning mode.

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site

I caught that it turned off GMail Sync totally. Overrode the setting in the app then turned GMail sync back on. Crossing fingers that it sticks once off learning mode.

Odd. It didn't do that for me. Did you change the default setting for gmail within the app?

On the reporting front, after a day, yes, it does seem to have helped battery by a bit. Nothing dramatic, but the improvements are noticeable.

mamutarka

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site

After learning mode, finally I used the app for 2 days and really dont know what to say actually. This app does stuff I would do on my own, turning wifi off and other stuff it does seems useless. I' will think about deleting the app I guess :/ battery duration is the same in my opinion

PWC Realtor

May 17, 2010
Visit site

I turned the app off as it didn't IMO improve anything and didn't like it it turned off sync on apps that I actually use.

Chex313

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site

Finished learning mode. Battery life is improved. Instead of 50% at the end of the day it has 75%. No problems with push email or texts or Vmail.

Wayne Randall

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site

I just uninstalled it. It appeared to restrict syncing and took control of WiFi (per my option). Guru may have added a couple hours on a two-day charge, certainly nothing special. I've amended what to sync now and have set Tasker up to take care of WiFi management and sync frequency. I consider it a learning experience, thanks Guru.

Sent from my Nexus 7

mamutarka

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site

The thing is, everything this app does, I can do myself. Turn off wifi when not at home, unsync unused apps and turn off them by my own. also this app requires to turn ON location services, that also drains battery, so, if they improve this app in future with more stuff, I will surely install it again :)

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site

I just uninstalled it. It appeared to restrict syncing and took control of WiFi (per my option). Guru may have added a couple hours on a two-day charge, certainly nothing special. I've amended what to sync now and have set Tasker up to take care of WiFi management and sync frequency. I consider it a learning experience, thanks Guru.

Sent from my Nexus 7

I did too. I thought it was improving battery life, but I realized that's just 4.2.2. And Guru kept turning on WiFi in places I wanted to keep it off (I think just because I tried to connect to a network there once). That's annoying as heck. When I manually turn a setting off, I want it off.

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

It's improved my battery life some, not a huge amount but definitely noticeable. I've tested it with Gmail push and texts, and haven't had a problem getting either. I'm going to give it a few more days to see how it goes before making a final decision.

And for people complaining that it only does what you can do yourself, the point is it automates all that stuff so you don't have to think about doing it yourself. It's not like the app costs anything.

mamutarka

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site

yes but also app needs location services to be ON, that drains battery right?

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

I suppose so, but then I keep location services on regardless.

I have noticed that I stopped getting "time to leave" notifications from the calendar after the Battery Guru had its way, and Gtalk messages did not come through until I unlocked my phone. It also turned off Instant Upload. I'm having to slowly tweak its settings now to find the optimal balance. Looks like the app has some rough spots, but then it is a beta.

leegalaxy

Mar 18, 2012
Visit site

I too am waiting until Monday. My usage at work is way different than it is at home on the weekend.

PhilSterBoy

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site

This app made my battery life worse. My phone would rarely go into deep sleep mode

zxcv106106

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site

I have this app. and still in learning mode. I will surely update my result...