Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By alicechong7789
  • 1 Post By corpgator
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default NFC Tags

I heard the Nexus 4 is limited to the smaller 144 byte tags. Is that true? Many new smartphones can read the 1KB tags and so can the Nexus 7. That's why it surprised me when they said the Nexus 4 can't. Doesn't that limit what automation you can do with it?

Default Re: NFC Tags

This is true. You need the NTAG203 tags for the nexus 4. You can still put most of the commands you need on them so no real concerns. Not sure if related to the tags or the NFC, but my note 2 picks the tec tiles much better than my N4 picks up the NTAG203 tags.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317
    Last edited by planoman; 04-28-2013 at 10:07 AM. Reason: Correction
    Lumia 925 8.1 Dev Pre, Nexus 5 (32GB), Moto X (32GB), Lumia 1020, Google Edition S4, Galaxy S4 (32GB), S4 Active, Nexus 4, Note 2, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note (ATT), Galaxy Note Intl., Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, Nexus S, Atrix 2, Atrix, Galaxy S1 Captivate, Nexus 7 (32GB), iPad 4, Dell Venue Pro 8
    and yes...an iPhone 5 too...

Here is a table with a list of support NFC devices and NFC tags. NFC Phones and NFC Tablets - NFC - GoToTags NFC Software Documentation
    Try the Topaz 512 tags, these are Type 1 tags and they have 454 bytes of memory.

With 144 bytes of memory, the NTAG NFC chip should be enough memory to store a few automation tasks.
    Thanked by:
    RumoredNow likes this.

Yeah not too many Topaz 512 purchase options yet. I dig NFC, so I bought 6 nice NTAG203 tags on http://www.amazon.com/TagsForDroid-T...idcentral00-20Amazon

Because of the NTAG203 limited memory, I got interested in https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ndroid.taskermTasker. Combined with Tasker, I now have very powerful NFC tags that kick off all kinds of tasks.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

With the smaller tags, you basically save the tasks on the phone and the tag just triggers them instead of the tasks actually being on the tag.
    WOP_Drive likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by planoman View Post
    This is true. You need the mifare tags for the nexus 4. You can still put most of the commands you need on them so no real concerns. Not sure if related to the tags or the NFC, but my note 2 picks the tec tiles much better than my N4 picks up the mifare tags.
    Just to clarify, my Nexus 4 does not work fully work with Mifare tags. It will throw an error if I try to write to them using NFC Task Launcher.

My Nexus 4 works perfectly with NTAG203 tags. Original Samsung Tectile tags (they're coming out with Tectile 2 tags for the newly released S4) are basically branded Mifare tags.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by AlgarY View Post
    Just to clarify, my Nexus 4 does not work fully work with Mifare tags. It will throw an error if I try to write to them using NFC Task Launcher.

My Nexus 4 works perfectly with NTAG203 tags. Original Samsung Tectile tags (they're coming out with Tectile 2 tags for the newly released S4) are basically branded Mifare tags.
    That's right. The n4 cannot write to the mifare tags it can only read the GUID from them. The NTAG203 tags are the compatible type.

Quote Originally Posted by AlgarY View Post

I must have got my tags confused, sorry! I have corrected my post.
    Lumia 925 8.1 Dev Pre, Nexus 5 (32GB), Moto X (32GB), Lumia 1020, Google Edition S4, Galaxy S4 (32GB), S4 Active, Nexus 4, Note 2, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note (ATT), Galaxy Note Intl., Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, Nexus S, Atrix 2, Atrix, Galaxy S1 Captivate, Nexus 7 (32GB), iPad 4, Dell Venue Pro 8
    and yes...an iPhone 5 too...