how to send/receive files via nfc between nexus 4 & other phone?

raj24

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
How to send and receive files via NFC technology?

I tried between my nexus 4 & my friend's Samsung Galaxy S3 & note 2 , but nothing happens after touching android beam.

Chex313

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site

I tried between my nexus 4 & my friend's Samsung Galaxy S3 & note 2 , but nothing happens after touching android beam.
Try wifi direct. You have that on both phones? Use the App "Superbeam" from the play store

Last edited:

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Whatever you're trying to transfer has to be on the screen of one of the phones, e.g. if you want to send a picture, view that picture in Gallery on one phone, then hold the backs of both phones together.

Sent from my Nexus 4

raj24

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
Whatever you're trying to transfer has to be on the screen of one of the phones, e.g. if you want to send a picture, view that picture in Gallery on one phone, then hold the backs of both phones together.

Sent from my Nexus 4

did that only between my nexus 4 and my friend's galqxy S3 , after touching it was showing touch to beam or something nd then nothing hapens..

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Just to let you know that it works very well with a Nexus 4 and a Nexus 7. You don't touch the two together and it takes a bit to get them positioned correctly. The NFC sensor is by the U in Nexus.

rhea

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site

I've not had a problem sending back and forth among Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 4 and Nexus 7; however, the file manager, File Expert, has NFC option built in which makes it easier to designate files. If the files are very large, they may not go at all over NFC.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Google need to add File transfer via Android Beam with a UI to do it. currently AB is limited to media contents and app implementation.
They should add all possible file transfers with a neat UI

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
did that only between my nexus 4 and my friend's galqxy S3 , after touching it was showing touch to beam or something nd then nothing hapens..

Right. When it shows "touch to beam," it should also show a preview of what you're going to beam. You need to touch and hold your finger on the screen on that content and you should hear a sound when it either completes successfully or fails.

The "touch to beam" refers to touching the screen with your finger, not touching the devices together.

cavemandaveman

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site

raj24

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
Still I haven't got proper reply to my query.
Can I transfer files between Samsung galaxy phones & my nexus via NFC? If yes, how?

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Can I transfer files between Samsung galaxy phones & my nexus via NFC? If yes, how?

Via NFC? Probably not. I haven't had success with it in the past, and most comments from other people have been mixed results, at best. You can certainly try it out yourself, though. Touch the devices together. When it says "touch to beam," press and hold your finger on the device with the content you want to send, until it attempts to 'beam' the content to the other device.

That will work for things like photos. If you want the freedom to transfer any files, you'll likely need to find a file browser app in the Play Store that has implemented Android Beam.

lorul2

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site

sorry I meant to reply yesterday. I had the exact same problem the trick is lining up your NFC chip with their NFC chip. You can't have your Nexus 4 flush against their phone. For example, when I tried to send a picture NFC, I had to put my phone lower and to the right for it to work with a Galaxy Tab two. The Galaxy 2 had a bar that said receiving file after I push touch to send. you'll have to play with it to get it to work. I hope this helps! By the way this is not meant for large files especially when you have to hold the phones back to back.

teletraan1

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site

Yes you can. I've never had a problem doing this between my Nexus 4 and my friend's GS3. Make sure NFC is turned on (may have to turn on Android Beam on the Galaxy). If you want to send a pic, open it in the gallery then put both phones back to back. It's pretty straight forward.

raj24

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
Yes you can. I've never had a problem doing this between my Nexus 4 and my friend's GS3. Make sure NFC is turned on (may have to turn on Android Beam on the Galaxy). If you want to send a pic, open it in the gallery then put both phones back to back. It's pretty straight forward.

did that but it didnt work..will try agin..
my friend's GS3 has 4.1.0 and i have 4.2.2..will it make any problem?

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
did that but it didnt work..will try agin..
my friend's GS3 has 4.1.0 and i have 4.2.2..will it make any problem?

You've said more than once that it is not working, but you are not explaining exactly what happens. It shows "touch to beam," yes? Which app is open when you are doing this? When you press and hold to beam content, what happens? Do you hear the success/failure sound?

hema priya

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
hi,
am able to send files through NFC from Nexus 4 to Samsung S3 but i not able to receive them. whenever the other person tries to send, it directly pops up play store and shows cannot find it on page. what should i do inorder to receive properly???