Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default how to send/receive files via nfc between nexus 4 & other phone?

How to send and receive files via NFC technology?

I tried between my nexus 4 & my friend's Samsung Galaxy S3 & note 2 , but nothing happens after touching android beam.

Global Posts
    522 Global Posts
    ROM
    4.4 KitKat

Default Re: how to send/receive files via nfc between nexus 4 & other phone?

Quote Originally Posted by raj24 View Post

I tried between my nexus 4 & my friend's Samsung Galaxy S3 & note 2 , but nothing happens after touching android beam.
    Try wifi direct. You have that on both phones? Use the App "Superbeam" from the play store
    Last edited by Chex313; 05-07-2013 at 12:22 AM.
    N5 Black 32GB 4.4.2(I love this thing!!), N4 (4.4.2), iphone 5, etc., N7(4.4.2) AT&T(2 Unlimited Plan's) The Nexus 5 is so fast...I just finished the internet...The ending wasn't great...

I read that Nexus 4 NFC and Samsung NFC are different.

I also think wifi direct is better.

Whatever you're trying to transfer has to be on the screen of one of the phones, e.g. if you want to send a picture, view that picture in Gallery on one phone, then hold the backs of both phones together.

Sent from my Nexus 4
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by ragnarokx View Post
    Whatever you're trying to transfer has to be on the screen of one of the phones, e.g. if you want to send a picture, view that picture in Gallery on one phone, then hold the backs of both phones together.

Sent from my Nexus 4
    did that only between my nexus 4 and my friend's galqxy S3 , after touching it was showing touch to beam or something nd then nothing hapens..

Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (soon to be PA3)

Is S Beam turned off?

I use bluetooth between tablet and phone. It's easier.
    Last edited by pugnuttt; 02-24-2013 at 10:56 AM.

Just to let you know that it works very well with a Nexus 4 and a Nexus 7. You don't touch the two together and it takes a bit to get them positioned correctly. The NFC sensor is by the U in Nexus.
    Thanked by 2:

ROM
    Stock: GNex; dalepl rom

I've not had a problem sending back and forth among Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 4 and Nexus 7; however, the file manager, File Expert, has NFC option built in which makes it easier to designate files. If the files are very large, they may not go at all over NFC.

Google need to add File transfer via Android Beam with a UI to do it. currently AB is limited to media contents and app implementation.
    They should add all possible file transfers with a neat UI
    Thanked by:
    minnemike and Chetan Takyar like this.

did that only between my nexus 4 and my friend's galqxy S3 , after touching it was showing touch to beam or something nd then nothing hapens..
    Right. When it shows "touch to beam," it should also show a preview of what you're going to beam. You need to touch and hold your finger on the screen on that content and you should hear a sound when it either completes successfully or fails.

The "touch to beam" refers to touching the screen with your finger, not touching the devices together.

ROM
    Paranoid Android

Quote Originally Posted by still1 View Post
    Google need to add File transfer via Android Beam with a UI to do it. currently AB is limited to media contents and app implementation.
    They should add all possible file transfers with a neat UI
    Might I suggest this little app:

It's built into the share button options when you select any file. Very useful.
    Thanked by 2:
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Still I haven't got proper reply to my query.
    Can I transfer files between Samsung galaxy phones & my nexus via NFC? If yes, how?

Can I transfer files between Samsung galaxy phones & my nexus via NFC? If yes, how?
    Via NFC? Probably not. I haven't had success with it in the past, and most comments from other people have been mixed results, at best. You can certainly try it out yourself, though. Touch the devices together. When it says "touch to beam," press and hold your finger on the device with the content you want to send, until it attempts to 'beam' the content to the other device.

That will work for things like photos. If you want the freedom to transfer any files, you'll likely need to find a file browser app in the Play Store that has implemented Android Beam.

sorry I meant to reply yesterday. I had the exact same problem the trick is lining up your NFC chip with their NFC chip. You can't have your Nexus 4 flush against their phone. For example, when I tried to send a picture NFC, I had to put my phone lower and to the right for it to work with a Galaxy Tab two. The Galaxy 2 had a bar that said receiving file after I push touch to send. you'll have to play with it to get it to work. I hope this helps! By the way this is not meant for large files especially when you have to hold the phones back to back.

Yes you can. I've never had a problem doing this between my Nexus 4 and my friend's GS3. Make sure NFC is turned on (may have to turn on Android Beam on the Galaxy). If you want to send a pic, open it in the gallery then put both phones back to back. It's pretty straight forward.
    Thanked by:
    raj24 
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Quote Originally Posted by teletraan1 View Post
    Yes you can. I've never had a problem doing this between my Nexus 4 and my friend's GS3. Make sure NFC is turned on (may have to turn on Android Beam on the Galaxy). If you want to send a pic, open it in the gallery then put both phones back to back. It's pretty straight forward.
    did that but it didnt work..will try agin..
    my friend's GS3 has 4.1.0 and i have 4.2.2..will it make any problem?

did that but it didnt work..will try agin..
    my friend's GS3 has 4.1.0 and i have 4.2.2..will it make any problem?
    You've said more than once that it is not working, but you are not explaining exactly what happens. It shows "touch to beam," yes? Which app is open when you are doing this? When you press and hold to beam content, what happens? Do you hear the success/failure sound?
    ConTejas likes this.

hi,
    am able to send files through NFC from Nexus 4 to Samsung S3 but i not able to receive them. whenever the other person tries to send, it directly pops up play store and shows cannot find it on page. what should i do inorder to receive properly???
    Thanked by:

I have the same problem today... I was able to send pictures to sgs3 but when I was to receive a picture it opened a Google play link .... any suggestions????

Quote Originally Posted by Vasilis Asimopoulos View Post
    I have the same problem today... I was able to send pictures to sgs3 but when I was to receive a picture it opened a Google play link .... any suggestions????
    It depends on what app the sender was using. Try to use stock Android apps only. The best success a friend and I had was using Gallery to send photos one at a time. I have a Nexus 4 and he has a Galaxy S3. We had to keep our phones back to back touching and keep it there for almost 20 seconds or so. NFC is NOT FAST, so don't expect instantaneous transfers like they show on the TV commercials.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

My friend with the gs3 was using his s. beam and I n4 with the stock version.... Strange is that I was able to send to him photos directly from my gallery with NFC but he couldn't do the same with his pictures from his gallery... he send me directly to Google play and even that I was connected to the internetit could not open the link.... Thoughts????

Quote Originally Posted by Vasilis Asimopoulos View Post
    My friend with the gs3 was using his s. beam and I n4 with the stock version.... Strange is that I was able to send to him photos directly from my gallery with NFC but he couldn't do the same with his pictures from his gallery... he send me directly to Google play and even that I was connected to the internetit could not open the link.... Thoughts????
    If he was using S-Beam, it won't work sending from the S3 to N4. He must use and enable NFC and Android Beam only.

See this link -

I had all kinds of problems using nfc to transfer photos between my n4 and n7. Sometimes it would work...more often not. And this is with the device backs touching. I eventually ended up just using bluetooth file transfer which works fine.

nfc + tags to trigger stuff = potentially useful
    nfc + android beam = gimmicky joke

Quote Originally Posted by gunshotlead View Post
    If he was using S-Beam, it won't work sending from the S3 to N4. He must use and enable NFC and Android Beam only.

See this link -

I was trying to send my friend a picture today from my N4 to his S3 and he had enabled NFC/android beam only but it still failed. We brought the devices together, it said "touch to beam" and I pressed my finger on the picture. On the S3 it would say "Incoming beam" and we kept the phones together for the entire duration but alas it would say "Beam did not complete". Friend noticed that it triggered his Bluetooth to turn on automatically and on my N4, I found that I was unable to turn my bluetooth on and I have to restart the phone.

Anyone have a similar problem to this and a fix if possible? Thanks a lot.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast