Nexus 4: Net10, can send MMS but can not receive MMS

jimwei

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I just activated my Nexus 4 on Net10 tonight. It's a temporary thing and will be back to Straight Talk after a few weeks. However I have an issue with MMS right now. I played with the APN settings and and was finally able to send MMS and people are receiving them fine. But when they reply back with MMS, I can't receive them. Texts works fine. Data is fine. Only receiving MMS doesn't work.

Here is my APN setting that allowed sending MMS but can not receive MMS:

APN: tfdata
MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com
MMS proxy: 66.209.11.33
MMS port: 80

I have tried the following setting suggested by Net10 and can not send nor receiving MMS:

APN: tfdata
MMSC: http://mms-tf.net
MMS proxy: mms3.tracfone.com
MMS port 80

So that obviously doesn't work. Anyone have suggestions?

I'm on 4.2.2.

Last edited by a moderator:

Malnoth

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Re: Net10, can send MMS but can not receive MMS

I am in the exact same situation as you.
I tried net10's apn settings and could not send/receive MMS messages either.
I tried your settings and I can only send MMS messages as you've stated.
I'm also on 4.2.2 using the stock messaging app.

Does anyone else have any suggestions?

jimwei

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site

When I tried to change the APN to att.mvno, I completely loses data connection as well. So far the only APN that allowed data connection is tfdata.

Malnoth

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site

Are you able to send/receive mms messages?
I think the APN is fine, it's the MMSC and MMS proxy that we need to change.

jimwei

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site

I can send mms messages and the recipients receive them. But when they send me mms messages I do not receive them. Sometimes when they send me mms, I see a notification on the phone for msg from the sender but there is no content. However I do not always get this notification for mms messages either.

I agree it's the MMSC or the MMS Proxy that needs to be changed.

jimwei

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site

My wife's phone is on Straight Talk and use the same MMSC and MMS Proxy setting and has no issues. I think it's Net10 issue.

Malnoth

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site

I'll try contacting their support again... Although I haven't had much luck as of yet...

jimwei

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site

I tried a bunch stuff tonight. Did the following one at the time and tried mms:

Deleted MMS Proxy
Deleted the MMS port
Changed MMSC to http://mms.tracfone.com (this is from Net10's configuration page for T-Mobile, I figured what heck give it a try)

Didn't make a difference. Can send mms, but can't receive them except I get that msg notification but when I click on it I get a blank message.

So apparently none of those settings matter. It's something else. What that is I still don't know.

Malnoth

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site

My wife's phone is on Straight Talk and use the same MMSC and MMS Proxy setting and has no issues. I think it's Net10 issue.

What android OS version is she running? 4.2.2 as well? If you put her Straight Talk sim in your phone, can you receive mms?

jimwei

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site

She's running 4.2.2 as well. Good idea, I could give it a try, swap the sim cards and see what happens.

Malnoth

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site

She's running 4.2.2 as well. Good idea, I could give it a try, swap the sim cards and see what happens.

Let me know how it goes. If it works on Straight Talk then I'll just have to bite the bullet and switch when my month is up.

Benjamin Kelley

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site

I'm having the same problem! I activated my Net10 today, gave my other account to my sister and everything works but I can't download MMS. I get the notification message and click download but it fails every time. I pop my other net10 sim in, it works perfect. Put mine back in and no luck. I can send just fine. I called CS and their ed. Reset my account, even went as far as transferring my service to a new sim card I had extra, no luck. They insisted its my phone but couldn't understand the concept that my other net10 sim woeks in it. Why not mine? Something is wrong with their mmsc and mms proxy. I tried all the other known options but with no luck. None will allow mms to download. This is crazy. I don't understand what's wrong. Even with the old mmsc and mms proxy used, it still won't download.

Malnoth

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site

So after talking with support she was unable to resolve the issue.
She did say she escalated my account so that their technicians will look into the mms issue further.

She said she was not able to change the apn because that is something that is done on activation.

All the new sims are automatically activated with the tfdata apn.

After further discussion she decided to send me a new sim card so that I can transfer my service to it.
She told me to call back when I get the new sim.

The interesting part is that she said that when I call back, I can request that they activate the new sim with an old apn. (wap.tracfone or att.mvno) to see if it resolves the issue.

It will take 3-5 business days to get the new sim. I will report back with any further info.

I think it's the apn that is the problem, not necessarily the mmsc/proxy.

Gmaxx

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site

Just wanted to chime in here, as I'm having the same issue. These problems are not specific to Android. I am using an iPhone 4 currently but I have ordered a Nexus 4 and I'm hoping it will get here sooner rather than later. :D I decided to go with Net10 over straight talk because I'm not a huge fan of Walmart and I'd rather go into gamestop and get the Net10 cards there (and of course check out the games.) but now I'm pretty sure I made a mistake. The new data policy of actually telling me how much data I can use is also a plus to me. I'd rather know how much than hope I don't get throttled.

This phone was working completely on straight talk less than a week ago. I CAN send MMS and SMS but I CANNOT receive MMS. Data works and is pretty speedy on this AT&T sim. The only apn that works for data for me is tfdata. I have messed with the settings and still am not having any luck. I am dreading calling CS as I have had some not so fun calls when I was on straight talk a few months back and I don't figure Net10 is going to be any different. I would really like to get this remedied before my Nexus gets here.

mmora37601

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site

im having the same problems mms can send but not recieve and net10's customer service reps are horrible they keep saying the problem is my phone someone please help ive got an unlocked samsung galaxy s3 apn setting name net10 apn tfdata mmsc http://mms-tf.net mms proxy mms3.tracfone.com mms port 80

droid0101010

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site

I'm having the same problem. I even bought my phone through Net10...says its suppose to come with the NET10 settings already installed...thats BS. I cannot receive MMS messages. I get the download link but they wont download. This is Net10s Samsung Galaxy Note using their att service. The phone is brand new and unlocked bought directly from NET10. I've tried a few different APN and MMS settings but still have yet to be able to receive MMS messages....

christina_mg82

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site

I can't get mms to work???
I get data but no mms send or relieve ???
Plz someone help me ...on my iPhone 5