Emergency Alert System

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Just got an emergency alert on my Nexus 4 telling me of the blizzard warning for Colorado. First time I ever got one of these on any phone I have ever had. It pops up and has the red exclamation and beeps loud until you hit OK.

Last edited:

PaulMilander

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
Just got an emergency alert on my iPhone telling me of the blizzard warning for Colorado. First time I ever got one of these on any phone I have ever had. It pops up and has the red exclamation and beeps loud until you hit OK.

You can turn them off if you wish under settings

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

galatians51

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I live in Denver too and got the same message. Holy cow, was it ever alarming!
If you are on silent or vibrate, does it still sound the alarm and do the text to voice announcement? I hope not, it sure would be embarrassing to have this happen in a meeting. Even after I dismissed it, it still reminded me every time the NWS updated their info...

andr0idralphie

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I got one before the last snow storm hit NYC. It sounded just like the Emergency Alert Service on the television. My wife was serving Grand Jury Duty and she said a whole bunch of phones in court made the same buzzing and alert sound at the same. I guess the National Weather Service is actually making use of the Emergency Alert System nationwide. That makes me happy. My Nexus 4 is set to alert me of other things like Amber Alerts as well... I won't promise to not beat the bastard if I catch one who's kidnapped a child.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Just got a blizzard warning once again for tomorrow but this time, the voice read the warning out loud and woke up the display on my phone.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
National Weather Service has apologized for sending out blizzard warnings to thousands of people early Friday morning even though the warning doesn't take effect until Saturday morning.

They made the same mistake two weeks ago also when I started this thread. Woke up at 5AM for that warning.

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
We get those every now and then, mostly for Amber alerts. They always scare the crap out of me - they are loud and sudden. :)

Garrett92C

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Until it allows me to easily set my own "ringtone" for these alerts, I'll just keep them turned off. It's a really good idea though.