Experience with external battery pack chargers?

Anbaric

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
With my previous Android phone I was used to having a spare internal battery for those times when the juice runs out away from a power outlet, so for the N4 I'd like to get an external battery pack charger. I'm looking for something fairly small that I can carry around without thinking about it, but will the lighter models be much use with the N4's battery? Checking on Amazon, I found the Anker models which get pretty good reviews:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/5600mAh-Ext...ag=hawk-future-21&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU2607244

as do some similar models from PowerGen:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005VBNW2G?tag=hawk-future-21&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU2607244

The Anker range includes a 2600mAh (0.8A) 'lipstick', a rather neat (but only 0.6A) 3200mAh 'SlimTalk', a small but chunky 5600mAh model that can deliver 1A, and larger 8400mAh and 10000mAh models that can manage 1A or 2A.

Is anyone using any of these (or equivalent) chargers, and what is your charge time from flat? I doubt I'll need more than a single re-charge, which even the smallest models would provide, but should I be looking at the 5600mAh (1A) charger and above if I want to use the phone while charging it?

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Amazon.com: New Trent Easypak NT70T 7000mAh External Battery Pack and Charger for iPad (4th gen) with Retina display, the NEW iPad (3rd gen), iPad 2, iPhone 5/4S/4/3Gs/3G, iPod Touch all versions; Samsung Galaxy Note/Nexus/S3/S2/S; HTC Titan, Sensati has simultaneous 2A and 1A outputs so can charge your N4 as well as a tablet (like the N7) together, and is pretty compact. It's nice that it also has a micro-USB cable snapped into its side so there's no need for additional cable to charge a single device.

Anbaric

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. Looks neat, but doesn't seem to be readily available in the UK at the moment. The Anker 3200mAh also has a captive cable, but their higher capacity models don't, so one more thing to carry.

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I've had good experiences with the Anker power packs, but I can't provide accurate times because I typically only use them in temperatures under 15?F while on photography trips. I would certainly recommend them, and their decent performance in cold temperatures supports good day-to-day performance as well.

wunderbar

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
I have a couple of these devices and they are a joy. I have an older Anker model that is 8000mAH that has 2 USB outputs and it is always in my bag with me. I'd always argue getting a larger one if you can swing it because they really aren't *that* big, and the truth is you never know when you might need a few recharges. my Anker 8000 has kept me going through day long airport delays, a couple long power outages, etc.

gavo360

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
I use a Anker 10000. Its about the same size as the n4 and weights a little bit more. At the moment I use it at work when I'm watching video podcasts on my break. I don't carry it around with me all day, just leave it in my draw when I don't need it. Hopefully it will come in useful in the summer months when I'm out and about away from a power outlet more often and I can charge two devices at once.

nandaaft

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I am using Anker slim model - I think 3600 mah - Just like the size of iphone 4 and it is simply great.

With my previous Android phone I was used to having a spare internal battery for those times when the juice runs out away from a power outlet, so for the N4 I'd like to get an external battery pack charger. I'm looking for something fairly small that I can carry around without thinking about it, but will the lighter models be much use with the N4's battery? Checking on Amazon, I found the Anker models which get pretty good reviews:

Anker? Astro 5600mAh Backup External Battery Pack Charger with built-in Flashlight for Apple: iPad mini, iPhone 5 (Lightning Cable not Provided) / iPhone 4S 4, iPod, iPad, iPad 2 / HTC One X, One S, Sensation G14, EVO, Desire HD S Z / Samsung Galaxy

as do some similar models from PowerGen:

PowerGen 5200mAh External Battery Pack High Capacity: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

The Anker range includes a 2600mAh (0.8A) 'lipstick', a rather neat (but only 0.6A) 3200mAh 'SlimTalk', a small but chunky 5600mAh model that can deliver 1A, and larger 8400mAh and 10000mAh models that can manage 1A or 2A.

Is anyone using any of these (or equivalent) chargers, and what is your charge time from flat? I doubt I'll need more than a single re-charge, which even the smallest models would provide, but should I be looking at the 5600mAh (1A) charger and above if I want to use the phone while charging it?

BensonClark

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
I always find an external battery pack helpful when outdoor and no wall jack. I personally have a RAVPower 5200mAh with 7 different connectors to charge different types of phones and tablets. 5200mAh is enough for me to charge my phone. I am happy with it.

sibeans

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Why not try a BlackBerry charging bundle? The one for the Q has a bigger battery than the Z, and in terms of portability, it's not much bigger than the battery itself.

Posted via Android Central App

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unirockers