Custom Ringtone / Notification Sounds don't show up

Tall Mike 2145

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I'm familiar with how and where (to my knowledge) sound files go to be used for ringtones, notifications, etc. However, even when I put them in the very clearly-labeled folders on my phone, they don't show up on any list either in Settings or in any app that can look there and let you pick something.

So, can someone explain what I'm doing wrong?

I've tried using OGG, MP3, and WAV files, and nothing seems to work.

I've also searched Android Central and have yet to find a thread relating to this, but if one is there, by all means post a link to it.

Thanks so much in advance!

Casey Rendon

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm familiar with how and where (to my knowledge) sound files go to be used for ringtones, notifications, etc. However, even when I put them in the very clearly-labeled folders on my phone, they don't show up on any list either in Settings or in any app that can look there and let you pick something.

So, can someone explain what I'm doing wrong?

I've tried using OGG, MP3, and WAV files, and nothing seems to work.

I've also searched Android Central and have yet to find a thread relating to this, but if one is there, by all means post a link to it.

Thanks so much in advance!

So you used a file explorer app to look for the files/folders on your phone, and they aren't there? How are you attempting to put the folders on your phone?

DC Wuff

Nov 26, 2009
Visit site
I had the same problem the other night with a custom MP3 ringtone (the first I've tried with the N4). Initially, it didn't show up, but it was on the pick-list after I rebooted.

Tall Mike 2145

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Well, multo, you figured it out. In fact, where before I couldn't copy anything using Windows but only the Mac app, now I can copy over to it in Windows as well.

Thanks, folks!

lwoodya

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
I know the thread is old, but after pulling my hair out for a long time I figured I'd chime in. I found that you need to make sure your mp3 has a Title. In windows this means opening the properties for the file and going to the Details tab. if the Title line is blank...it will not show up. I am sure you could use any mp3 tag editor, but this is simple enough. I did not even have to reboot the phone after copying over the edited file.