Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Nexus 4 charging overnight turns off by itself is a safety feature?

Hi all,

I just talked to a google support representative. They told me that the Nexus 4 will turn off (completely shutdown the phone) by itself after charging 100% to prevent overcharging. I find it kind of strange that this kind of feature was build in. I was even sure if the support representative was giving me some BS answer.... I mean people do use the alarm feature while charging the phone.

SpecC

ROM
    Paranoid Android

Default Re: Nexus 4 charging overnight turns off by itself is a safety feature?

Mine will fully charge, then stop itself from charging (while plugged in) until it drains to a certain amount (I think 95%), and start charging again. That might be what they meant.

Quote Originally Posted by cavemandaveman View Post
    Mine will fully charge, then stop itself from charging (while plugged in) until it drains to a certain amount (I think 95%), and start charging again. That might be what they meant.
    Mine does the same. I use a wireless charging pad and I can tell when it's charging or not because the phone starts to get warm when the wireless charger kicks on. Once it charges, the phone gets cold. Once it drains to about 95% or so, the charger kicks back on and the phone gets warm again.

My Eveready Qi charger (this one Amazon.com: Qi Inductive Charger, 3-Position by EVEREADY (Catalog Category: Computer/Supplies & Data Storage / Computer): Office Products but I paid less than half that price on eBay) has a blue LED which illuminates while charging and turns off when not charging. As others have said, the phone stops charging when it hits 100% and then charging starts up again at around 95%.

My N4 never turns completely off while connected to the charger, whether wireless Qi or plugged in with the factory power brick. Sleep mode, yes; power off, no.

Global Posts
    3,248 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.2

Quote Originally Posted by specc View Post
    Hi all,

I just talked to a google support representative. They told me that the Nexus 4 will turn off (completely shutdown the phone) by itself after charging 100% to prevent overcharging. I find it kind of strange that this kind of feature was build in. I was even sure if the support representative was giving me some BS answer.... I mean people do use the alarm feature while charging the phone.

SpecC

My N4 does not exhibit this behavior. I charge every night and when I wake up every morning it's always sitting there on waiting for the day.
    andr0idralphie likes this.

I mean people do use the alarm feature while charging the phone.

SpecC
    Probably not me. I don't know what the alarm feature is while charging the phone.

Hi all,

SpecC
    Welcome to the forum!

Either you misunderstood what the rep said/meant, or the rep had no clue what they were talking about. The only thing you can count on with 100% certainty is that you can never count on anything that a CS rep says from any company. It's an entry level position filled by the most inexperienced personal that do little more than read from their computer screen. More than half the time, they've looked up the wrong problem anyway.

The N4 does NOT turn itself off after it reaches 100% charge.
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!
    Take better pictures with your cell phone camera...http://www.bigshotmoms.com/
    Biggnaa20 likes this.

^this.

I no longer trust anything I read in an email or even in a chat session. There are times when the language barrier is just too great. I need to talk to a living person with many mission critical support issues. Can't wait for the Google brick and mortar store!

ROM
    LiquidSmooth

It is highly unlikely this is the case and maybe you just misunderstood. Imagine countless people wanting to charge their phone while they sleep and then being late to work in the morning because their phone had switched off meaning their alarm never went off
    karmamule likes this.

ROM
    Super Beans n Kernels

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Alex View Post
    Probably not me. I don't know what the alarm feature is while charging the phone.
    He meant people use their device as their alarm clock and it would be extremely problematic if the device shut off while charging overnight. I do, and it's never happended on any of my devices.
    pontiac005 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ConTejas View Post
    He meant people use their device as their alarm clock and it would be extremely problematic if the device shut off while charging overnight. I do, and it's never happended on any of my devices.
    I know exactly what he is talking about. My Nexus 4 has been doing this for the last 2 days. I have only had the phone for a week. For the first few days I would leave it charging over night and had no issues whatsoever, however, now it will completely shut off when I awake.

Quote Originally Posted by ProdigyRiot View Post
    I know exactly what he is talking about. My Nexus 4 has been doing this for the last 2 days. I have only had the phone for a week. For the first few days I would leave it charging over night and had no issues whatsoever, however, now it will completely shut off when I awake.
    If this is true, something else is going on with your phones. Overheating would cause your phone to shut down and I'm guessing that's what's happening. I don't know an app offhand to monitor your cpu temp, but I bet someone here can help you out and you can run a test overnight. I'm willing to bet you'll see a spike before the shutdown. In that case, rma your phones and get new ones. This should not be happening.
    ConTejas likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by CoolBeit View Post
    If this is true, something else is going on with your phones. Overheating would cause your phone to shut down and I'm guessing that's what's happening. I don't know an app offhand to monitor your cpu temp, but I bet someone here can help you out and you can run a test overnight. I'm willing to bet you'll see a spike before the shutdown. In that case, rma your phones and get new ones. This should not be happening.
    Also, if you have a case on try it without. The case might be the tipping point for any overheating too.
    CoolBeit likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by minnemike View Post
    Also, if you have a case on try it without. The case might be the tipping point for any overheating too.
    That's a good point. I hadn't thought of that.

ROM
    Super Beans n Kernels

Quote Originally Posted by ProdigyRiot View Post
    Well, dude, that's a bummer, but I didn't quote you Perhaps you should RMA. I would. That'd be a major issue for me.

ROM
    Super Beans n Kernels

Quote Originally Posted by minnemike View Post
    Good call. At least as far as a potential way to find the problem. Try a cpu monitor app overnight with and without a case. If a case is causing overheating I would certainly RMA

It doesn't completely turn off. It completely turns off the charging.

I'm having an issue with this. The charge doesn't seem to come back at 95%, over the past month I have been waking up with anywhere from 50% to 100% of a charge. Anyone else experiencing this?

I will try it tonight without the case. My father has the same exact phone and case and he has never have had this problem. I will try tonight without the case. Also, maybe i should mention that the first nights when it was charging perfectly normal overnight, i had it on "night mode" via the clock/alarm. And it was still charging with no powering off. I will keep you all posted. Thank you for your advice

Quote Originally Posted by falcor87 View Post
    I'm having an issue with this. The charge doesn't seem to come back at 95%, over the past month I have been waking up with anywhere from 50% to 100% of a charge. Anyone else experiencing this?
    This seems like a bigger problem than just the charge not coming back at 95%. Even then you shouldn't be losing that much while the phone is idling overnight.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by falcor87 View Post
    The 50% low end sounds like that wakelock battery eating bug maybe also related to that media server thing. I haven't had any of those issues since 4.2.2 update.

I have also been having a similar issue.. About every third night or so, my phone will be off when I wake up in the morning. This is a problem, as my phone is also my alarm clock... When I power it up, it will be fully charged. I contacted Google last week and they had made restart the phone (holding volume down and power simultaneously) but that doesn't seem to have solved the problem, as I again had the issue this morning. I will be calling them back today...

I got my Nexus 4 last week, and I have been having this problem every night. It shuts completely off during the night when it is charging. I cannot even restart it while the phone is still connected to the charger. Only after I unplug it, I can restart the phone.
    Is there a solution to this problem? Have you guys solved it?

Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (soon to be PA3)

My N4 does what most others' have been doing. It stays on, loses charge until it gets to about 99%, then starts recharging, and repeats this cycle. It never shuts off. As others have said, it may be overheating or some other problem causing the phone to shut off. But what that CS rep said is pretty much false. The phone is not designed to shut off after fully charging, and if it does, the reason isn't because it has fully charged.

Mine does this as well!
    When I charge it on my bed, it gets extremely hot. Yesterday, it skyrocketed up to 55 degrees Celsius, and I don't think that's supposed to be normal... I cooled it off by sliding in my fridge for a couple of minutes, but I'm worried that this is totally killing my battery. I haven't tried charging on my desk, but I will try that tonight.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast