Whatsapp/Viber notifications on N4

mamutarka

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
Hello, I should ask this in jelly bean section, but maybe other android devices dont have this issue :)

The thing is, I receive my whatsapp/Viber messages with delay, sometimes 2 minutes later, sometimes on time. I have iPhone also and when I send from iPhone to Nexus 4, nothing happens on nexus 4, only when I press power button to wake up device from sleep, then I receive notification from whatsapp. As I said, sometimes I dont have this issue, but most of the time I do. So people ask me why I dont reply on time, but I didnt know there is any message because notification didn't come.

Hope you guys understand what my ''issue'' is :)

BamBamBam1994

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
I got exactly the same problem. Its kinda annoying... I think it has something to do that the phone has to be active to receive for example the whatsapp messages normal. If someone got a solution I think more people would appreciate it:)

Rizy7

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I used to have this issue on my old nexus 4 with 4.2.1. On my nexus 4, I rooted it straight away but got unrooted when I updated to 4.2.2. After I updated I noticed the issue again, my notifications do not come through straight away and as soon as I touch the power key they suddenly come through. I rooted my device again today and now the problem has gone again. So weirdly this issue disappears when I root.

Viber

May 5, 2011
Visit site
Hi, this is a member of the Viber R&D Team.
I'm here to help.

@mamutarka - Do you use stock or custom ROM? Which Viber version do you have?
Did you try to uninstall>reinstall Viber?

Thanks,
Viber Team

mamutarka

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
Hello Viber :)

I'm on stock jelly bean 4.2.2 and using Viber 2.3.5. Today I received most of my notifications on viber. But not on whatsapp, I think it is jelly bean related issue, not Viber's fault. Because others confirmed the same thing in this topic. Hope this will be fixed soon :)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Viber

May 5, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the info!

We'll look into it ourselves, but we would appreciate if you could inform us if you have more details/news on this (after talking to Google or Nexus developers, or getting an answer in a different forum).

Thank you in advance :)

mnb1362

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
Hi
I have somewhat similar problems, Also I have an additional problem.
when using my nexus 4, if the phone is idle and the screen is turned off, I don't recieve any viber calls or messages and when I turn the screen on, I recienve the missed calls.
does anyone have the same problem too and do you know a way to fix it.
thanks

Viber

May 5, 2011
Visit site
Hi
I have somewhat similar problems, Also I have an additional problem.
when using my nexus 4, if the phone is idle and the screen is turned off, I don't recieve any viber calls or messages and when I turn the screen on, I recienve the missed calls.
does anyone have the same problem too and do you know a way to fix it.
thanks

Hi there,

Thank you for the report of the problem.

We kindly ask that you take a minute and report the details of the problem to our support team using this direct link: Your ticket details (when you submit the ticket, please make sure to add the URL of our conversation). With this information, our development team will hopefully be able to find the source of the problem, and ultimately resolve it.

Thanks in advance :)

wx27

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
If this is only happening while your phone is on WiFi, it's probably due to a bug that doesn't keep WiFi connected while the screen is off, and then your phone enters deep sleep mode. When you power your screen back on, WiFi reconnects and you get all your delayed notifications, not just Whatsapp/Viber, but just about everything else (Gmail/G+/Gtalk) that was trying to send your phone data while your screen was off/WiFi disconnected.
Some people have found workarounds that typically require rooting and alternative ROMs/kernels.
Wifi network connectivity issues and a possible fix - xda-developers

In my WiFi Advanced Settings, I have
Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep: Always
Wi-Fi Optimization: Unchecked

My delayed notifications seem to be minimal right now, though it's possible one of my recent app installs is keeping the WiFi connection alive when the screen is off. I have something that connects to my desktop computer to control the lights, and the desktop app's log is telling me my Wi-Fi connection to the app is disconnecting and then reconnecting 5 seconds later about every half hour.

Google/Qualcomm are aware of the issue, but a fix didn't make it into 4.2.2
Perhaps the next update...

Viber

May 5, 2011
Visit site
@mnb1362 -

As suggested above by wx27, have you made sure that this isn't a general problem with your Android's settings, affecting all other applications as well?
It might be that your phone's settings prevent you from having any active internet connection while your phone is idle. This, naturally, prevents Viber from being online, thus not being able to receive/send traffic.

Dunnow

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
This issue is caused by a buggy driver.

https://jira.cyanogenmod.org/browse/CYAN-558 you can see CM members discussing it here

Google did NOTHING about it, and the issue on official bug tracking service from google has been closed since 14-feb with no usable response.

This bug is annoying as **** and one can not live with it, this should not be the way a Nexus device behaves... one gets a Nexus for it's stability and updates and bug corrections... and yet... here it is, after MONTHS of it being reported still nothing included on official builds.

Rizy7

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Google are now aware of the problem and hopefully it will get fixed in the next update. The problem doesnt effect all users and thats probably why there isnt such a big deal made about it. You can do a temporary fix by setting a static arp on your router or changing some system files.

Sylvere94

May 5, 2013
Visit site
I ve exactly the same problem. I tried to reinstall Viber with lastest version (official apk), made several tests (same problem with Whatspp, Tango), Nexus 4 seems to be in a deep sleep when screen is locked. It needs (average) 4 minutes to get notification (wifi and/or 3G). I ve stock ROM, Android 4.2.2. Most of the time, as Mamutarka, I press power button all the time to see if messages arrived.:(

startup8100

May 7, 2013
Visit site
I am having problem with whatapp notification. Its on regardless the night mode. Anyone having the same problem?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2