Using a different charger

Prash7

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
Hey all!

Just got my nexus :D Was wondering, would it be harmful to use my blackberry charger (just the plug) rather than the LG one? It just fits better into my wall.

Thanks!

Chex313

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Re: Using a different battery

Hey all!

Just got my nexus :D Was wondering, would it be harmful to use my blackberry charger (just the plug) rather than the LG one? It just fits better into my wall.Thanks!
We have no problems. If it charges it your good. If it doesn't like the amount of v or current flow it won't charge.

]

Prash7

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site

Quick question:

How can I get Google New voice to work when I say "Google [..]"? Android noob here; haven't used it since gingerbread :p

EDIT: Nvm, needs to be in English USA!

Last edited:

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site

My LG charger died within 2 months. I now use the charger from my Motorola Atrix 4G which has lasted 2 years now.

Lugz6002

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site

I use a Samsung Galaxy S2 charger with mine and it works fine. Takes about the same time to charge as it does with the one included with the Nexus 4.

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
Hey all!

Just got my nexus :D Was wondering, would it be harmful to use my blackberry charger (just the plug) rather than the LG one? It just fits better into my wall.

Thanks!
If my Android charger is on another floor and I don't feel like going to get it, I'll use my husband's BB charger. Actually, the charger in my bedroom is from my LG phone. I keep the GNex charger on the first floor for easy pulling of the cord if I think I'll need to charge my phone via laptop. Once the law was passed about the universal tips, I don't think you have to worry.

Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Thread has been cleaned. Let's keep the discussion civil. There's no need for name calling or insults. If you believe a post is inappropriate, please hit the report button. Thanks.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II

Tronstar

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
My OEM transformer/adapter stopped working within a month. I have used numerous cables and adapters since without any noticable issues.

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Check the watt-age/amperage of the charger you want to use. I believe the travel charger that comes with the N4 is 5W 1200mA (= 1.2A). Most phone USB chargers are 5W 1A chargers, but some cheap ones are crap that only identify themselves as a 500mA USB data port (D- and D+ lines aren't shorted together), so will charge the N4 much slower. A good, tablet charger like a 10W 2A charger for the Nexus 7 or Kindle Fire will do fine, the Nexus 4 shouldn't take any more current (the (A)mps part of the equation) than it wants. In my initial tests with Battery Monitor Widget Pro, I've noticed the N4 isn't taking much more than 600mA, even on an ASUS Nexus 7 charger. Couldn't tell you why. [corrected]

The LG Nexus wireless charger (WCP-400) comes with a big ol' 1800mA adapter, and ... darn ... I can't read what the output is supposed to be without watchmaker's glasses. I suspect the WCP400 uses a fair amount of current powering the inductive charging schtuff.

But generally if you've got a 5W 1A charger from another phone, it should be fine. Use a good microUSB cable, not some cheap crap. ;) (Yes, it's true. I've found charging performance differs with some cables.)

iPhone-specific chargers may be wonky. Apple uses a weird protocol where the iDevices look for 2.0V and 2.7V on D- and D+ (if I recall correctly), an Apple device finds that and sucks down up to 1A, but on other chargers (conventional, with D- and D+ shorted), stop at 500mA regardless of what the charger is capable of. Chalk it up to Apple "thinking different." Read: proprietary. :p

Last edited:

Prash7

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
Check the watt-age/amperage of the charger you want to use. I believe the travel charger that comes with the N4 is 5W 1200mA (= 1.2A). Most phone USB chargers are 5W 1A chargers, but some cheap ones are crap that only identify themselves as a 500mA USB data port (D- and D+ lines aren't shorted together), so will charge the N4 much slower. A good, tablet charger like a 10W 2A charger for the Nexus 7 or Kindle Fire will do fine, the Nexus 4 shouldn't take any more current (the (A)mps part of the equation) than it wants. In my initial tests with Battery Monitor Widget Pro, I've noticed the N4 isn't taking much more than 500mA, even on an ASUS Nexus 7 charger. Couldn't tell you why.

The LG Nexus wireless charger (WCP-400) comes with a big ol' 1800mA adapter, and ... darn ... I can't read what the output is supposed to be without watchmaker's glasses. I suspect the WCP400 uses a fair amount of current powering the inductive charging schtuff.

But generally if you've got a 5W 1A charger from another phone, it should be fine. Use a good microUSB cable, not come cheap crap. ;) (Yes, it's true. I've found charging performance differs with some cables.)

iPhone-specific chargers may be wonky. Apple uses a weird protocol where the iDevices look for 2.0V and 2.7V on D- and D+ (if I recall correctly), an Apple device finds that and sucks down up to 1A, but on other chargers (conventional, with D- and D+ shorted), stop at 500mA regardless of what the charger is capable of. Chalk it up to Apple "thinking different." Read: proprietary. :p

Thank you! Yeah, I've definitely noticed a slower charge with my BB plug. Just read it; output is 750mA! So considerably less than the provided one.

vlee

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
I have several chargers for my Samsung (original) Galaxy, and keep them scattered around the house and work. Checking one here, it says the output 5.0V, 0.7A. The charger that came with the Nexus says output is 5.0V 1.2A. (I'm glad I have a magnifying glass lying around!) I didn't look, but am assuming the car one is the same.

That's totally Greek to me! Can someone confirm that this won't hurt the Nexus. If it just charges slower, that is fine for a spare at work.

Teknojnky

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
If you have too little milliamps (mA) the phone will not charge. The more mA you have, the faster it will charge. Too much and the battery will get hot.
That is from my personal experience with my blackberry.

tacosrdelicioso

Nov 12, 2011
Visit site
It's not going to hurt to use a different charger. As long as it doesn't charge too fast and overheat the battery you're fine..

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

gmhotch

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
I used an iPhone charger (the smaller one) and my Nexus did not like it at all. It went into deep sleep and had to use the on + up/down volume buttons to reset it. I'm using the LG charger from now on unless I can find the exact same specs.

vlee

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. I did use the Samsung charger last night and nothing blew up or melted ;).

I intend to keep my old phone near the TV to use as a remote for my wireless DVD player. Hmm, just realized that from what was said above, using the Nexus charger on the Samsung might be too much so I'll need to remember to use the right charger for it.

Morjesta

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
make sure you use the same mAh, that the LG charger has.
My girlfriend used an iPad charger to charger her iPhone for awhile and the battery on her iPhone got bloated and had to be changed. I been told that the iPad charger has twice the mAh than the iPhone one.

just sharing my experience. If i was you ill just stick to the same mAh.
Output 4.8V @ 1A

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12