Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree111Likes

Global Posts
    2,194 Global Posts

Default Re: stay away from google products

Quote Originally Posted by xlDeMoNiClx View Post
    If you say so, but if you say Google doesn't do anything for us then arguing with you is not worth my time. lol
    They do stuff for you so they can take your data. So you are right, they do "do stuff" for us (But just so they can collect our data to better target us with ads). There is nothing wrong with it. It's not like Google is hiding that fact either.
    ConTejas likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Saiga View Post
    Are you serious right now? Google don't do anything for free. You make it seem like they are a non for profit charity that just wants to make the world a better place. I use Android and other Google services, but I am willing to accept the reality that Google doesn't give us anything.

Google only has one product and one type of customer. IF Google gives basically everything to us for free, than what does that make us? You betcha, we're Google's product. The only thing Google really makes money from is us. They make money from the data they collect from us. Google's customers are the advertisers. The people that pay Google money because Google has all of this information about us so they can better inject ads into our lives.

All of Google's products and services (including Android) only exist to collect our data and display ads. That is it. Google only updates Android and makes it better simply to get more people using it so they can collect more data and display more ads. Google doesn't give anything away to their real customers. Google's real customers pay up, and that's how Google makes the billions they make.
    Your interpretation of Googles many projects is off as you want to interpret anything they do as being beneficial to either their search or operating system. I don't know if you're aware of when service was shut off to china a couple years due to government quarrying data to be used maliciously against its people, but its a good example of what Google cares about. How about Google shutting the mobile providers out of the picture in the nexus 4. Was it beneficial to exclude Verizon completely? How about bidding up the price of spectrum to force Verizon to accept net neutrality rules? How about threatening Comcast and Time Warner With Google Fiber?
    ConTejas likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Saiga View Post
    Are you serious right now? Google don't do anything for free. You make it seem like they are a non for profit charity that just wants to make the world a better place. I use Android and other Google services, but I am willing to accept the reality that Google doesn't give us anything.

Google only has one product and one type of customer. IF Google gives basically everything to us for free, than what does that make us? You betcha, we're Google's product. The only thing Google really makes money from is us. They make money from the data they collect from us. Google's customers are the advertisers. The people that pay Google money because Google has all of this information about us so they can better inject ads into our lives.

All of Google's products and services (including Android) only exist to collect our data and display ads. That is it. Google only updates Android and makes it better simply to get more people using it so they can collect more data and display more ads. Google doesn't give anything away to their real customers. Google's real customers pay up, and that's how Google makes the billions they make.
    Everyone read this until it sinks in...

I;m happy to trade the data Google gets from me for the services they offer. But I damn sure know that I'm just a dollar sign to them.
    ಠ_ಠ
    제리
    Thanked by 6:
    chubb, MikeLip, ConTejas and 3 others like this.

ROM
    Super Beans n Kernels

Stay away from a company that enabled us to have a cutting edge device and save HUNDREDS of dollars over a 24 month period? Pehaps thousands for me personally as I've found my data signal is so much stronger and faster in my house (compared to VZW LTE ~ 10 miles from center city Philly....crazy) that I could actually drop my $45 a month comcast cable internet. I think not. I feel for you, man, but realize you're just in an unfortunate and rare situation.
    xlDeMoNiClx likes this.

Global Posts
    2,194 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Hildenbrand View Post

I;m happy to trade the data Google gets from me for the services they offer. But I damn sure know that I'm just a dollar sign to them.
    Thank you Jerry!

I never said it was a bad thing or that I disagree with it. I fully accept the reality that Google does what they do. And like you Jerry, I'm ok with that because I enjoy using their services.
    Thanked by:
    Evoken 
    Evoken likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Hildenbrand View Post

Of course we're dollar signs to them, that goes for every company but at least Google does more for us than most others do in terms of free services.
    Thanked by:
    KwietStorm and ConTejas like this.

Global Posts
    794 Global Posts

Thanked by:

I thought it was funny

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Not a dream. Google does a lot for Android even though it sees no money from the sales of phones that use Android, plus they release many great services for free. Way more than any other company.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums
    C'mon....don't be dense about how Google makes their money.

Quote Originally Posted by ugahairydawgs View Post
    Don't be dense about what Google does for us.

Thanked by:

Global Posts
    309 Global Posts

The only thing they make money on is advertising. Which yes they make good money on but not that great of money.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Chen View Post
    Here's a hint, don't be rude to the customer service. You want your refund, be nice to them and they'll be nice to you. They're just doing their job, they didn't package your order.
    If you were getting the same treatment from Google's customer service department like the OP, wouldn’t you be a little pissed off? Obviously customer service isn't doing a great job. This is not the first time I heard of Google making someone's life hell.

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by pcuciti View Post
    dream on...
    You realize they are selling the Nexus 4 for half price off contract right? No one is saying they don't want to make money but their effort to reduce costs to reasonable levels with the Nexus 4, 7 and 10 prove that they are committed to our best interests. Unlike another over priced company with a smaller phone... You might know who I mean.

Android Evangelist
    HTC Desire + Samsung Galaxy SIIx + Transformer TF101 and Prime + Nexus 4

Don't be dense about what Google does for us.

What they do for us? They provide a service. We "pay" for it by providing them data.

Quote Originally Posted by jweimn View Post
    The only thing they make money on is advertising. Which yes they make good money on but not that great of money.

Not great money? It's the bulk of their business.

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by TRSpeed3 View Post
    The parcel service would be more to blame for the wet phone, so being short with Google won't do you any good. More likely Google will eat the cost, and in the end Google will have to dispute it with the parcel service for a refund. (Works in your favor)

Back in the Nextel days, my friend order two phones and had them shipped to his house. Upon arrival he signs for the package runs inside to open them only to find the Nextel boxes inside the package are both empty. He instantly calls Nextel up to alert them to the issue, they're response is (and I'm paraphrasing) "Oh well! Did you sign for the package? It's not our issue, obviously someone stole it during the shipping process and resealed the box" Long story short after months of arguing with UPS and Nextel, Nextel finally agreed to send him replacement phones while they fought with UPS for reimbursement.

My honest opinion on your situation is you need to follow up with Google (as mentioned before, honey attracts more bees) and request a shipping label. Let them know it's been four weeks and you haven't received a label yet. Google being Google should be able to email you a return label, I would ask for it via email just to cut down on time. I feel for you and it does suck, just try to remember Google isn't a parcel service and cannot control what happens during delivery.
    Ahhhhh. The voice of reason. Spoken like a honest normal human. We need more people like you. :thumbup:

Android Evangelist

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

Just a couple of billion here and there.

Android Evangelist

Global Posts
    309 Global Posts

What they do for us? They provide a service. We "pay" for it by providing them data.

Not great money? It's the bulk of their business.

Yes bulk of their business and yes to the other commentor but a majority of the revenue wasnt from the android side but web based services. I forgot where I had read it whether it was forbes or one of these websites but revenue made by android broken down to each phone it was an low amount of profit being made. Which also ties into why google is now worried about samsung asking for more android revenue because their isnt much their to begin with.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Yes bulk of their business and yes to the other commentor but a majority of the revenue wasnt from the android side but web based services. I forgot where I had read it whether it was forbes or one of these websites but revenue made by android broken down to each phone it was an low amount of profit being made. Which also ties into why google is now worried about samsung asking for more android revenue because their isnt much their to begin with.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
    Google makes their money from advertising. That advertising is in every aspect of their products. Android exists to collect user data, which then allows Google to advertise relevant products better.

Google is the biggest advertising company on the planet. All of those other side products and projects live to serve their advertising business. If those things stopped providing the data they need, or if privacy concerns narrow the available stream of data, Google would drop those projects faster than Microsoft dropped the Kin.
    Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2
    badbrad17 likes this.

Global Posts
    111 Global Posts

Every product that Google produces is supposed to provide revenue, most of the time indirectly. Android for example, Google doesn't make any money from it directly, it's open source and they pour a lot of money into development however gmail, maps, etc are licensed to the carriers and they make a lot of money via the play store with developer fees and from the ad network. My company has Google Business Apps which we pay for and it's a bargain compared to Exchange.

Global Posts
    63 Global Posts

I beleive similar situations happend not only to Google, but for another compainies too. I think it is personal decision for everyone what company to choose.
    If you are pissed off by Google - you can stop buying their products, android devices, and stop using google.com.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #46  

i have now had a email of them, the 8th time, and now it says 3-5 working days again, for my shipping label, and whoever said i am lying, no i am not, i am well upset, it has took this long, would anyone else be happy in giving £300 pound away ? for a broken phone ?

lets be serious now, i put this complaint on this forum, and alot of other forums, so people know,

and another thing, is language communication barrier (foreign speaking) and i have tried bieng nice to customer service team, but when there saying i cant speak to a manager and just after waiti for labels, that dont exist, well that says it all,

i havent got £300 pound to just throw away, i am not a millionaire
    Last edited by Patrick Schroedl; 02-28-2013 at 04:42 AM.

I wont be taking the OP's advice. I'm also not sure why they're sending anything from the USA to the UK when they operate from the UK too. I had to return my phone as the ear speaker wasn't working and within three days of talking to Google I had my replacement. So I personally can't fault their customer service.
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #48  

doc marten, what number did u ring ?

was it the 0800 number ?

and did they send you the return shipping label and package box to put it in ?

i am still waiting

Global Posts
    392 Global Posts

Also I'm curious on how the phone would be "wet"...doesn't make any sense..
    My guess is that the OP opened the box while he was outside... and it was raining.

Global Posts
    63 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jjp2701 View Post
    i have now had a email of them, the 8th time, and now it says 3-5 working days again, for my shipping label, and whoever said i am lying, no i am not, i am well upset, it has took this long, would anyone else be happy in giving £300 pound away ? for a broken phone ?

lets be serious now, i put this complaint on this forum, and alot of other forums, so people know,

and another thing, is language communication barrier (foreign speaking) and i have tried bieng nice to customer service team, but when there saying i cant speak to a manager and just after waiti for labels, that dont exist, well that says it all,

i havent got £300 pound to just throw away, i am not a millionaire
    I think what some of us are trying to say is you should be thankful if Google does anything for you at all with regards to this issue because it is in no way their responsibility to do so. This problem lies with the parcel service that got the box wet. Thats all man. Don't blame Google for sending you a wet phone. I'll bet my Nexus 4 that it wasnt wet when it left Google.

I had to exchange 3 Nexus 4's for various reasons before I finally got the 4th one that works great. Google was nothing but great through the whole process. (For anyone curious, the first one had the infamous buzz like most of them do. Should never have done the RMA because the second one had a dead pixel and the third one was DOA. haha)

Jman
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast