Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By N4Newbie
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Group SMS instead of MMS?

Is there such a thing?

Reason I ask is because I do group messages daily and the stock group MMS is not working well for me. I keep getting delayed MMSs and it sometimes doesnt even send from my end. Total nightmare. I called LG, Google, and AT&T and none of them have a clue. I've tried Go SMS Pro that didnt really fix the issue.

SMS work perfectly. Is there a third party app that can Group SMS? If not, I guess I will ditch this phone and wait for the S4
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Default Re: Group SMS instead of MMS?

Anyone?

I'm not an expert. From what I've read you can use a third party apps like Handcent to send group SMS, but the replies will not be threaded unless you use MMS.

Sent from my Nexus 4 on Solavei
    Ask me about Solavei.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Ok. Thats kind of what I thought. That stinks

There is no such thing as "group SMS".

SMS, by definition, is limited to a single recipient and limited in both total size (message plus overhead) and message size. Absolutely nothing and no one can change these parameters. SMS messages are delivered quickly because they are carried as part of the same small housekeeping traffic which is constantly being exchanged between your handset and nearby cell towers. See

Any app which claims to do things like group SMS or expanded message size is really using some technology other than SMS; either MMS or some other data-centric mode.
    mdandashly likes this.

Android 4.2 allows you to do that thread style group messaging that iPhone's can do; works flawlessly for me. Could be a carrier issue?

The threaded group messaging works for me on 4.2 but sometimes certains people in the group's messages come through on their own message.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLibertarian View Post
    Android 4.2 allows you to do that thread style group messaging that iPhone's can do; works flawlessly for me. Could be a carrier issue?
    Group messaging is sent via MMS, not SMS. What the iPhone has done (as well as Android 4.2) is simply merge the display of both message types into a single app. But, make no mistake, SMS and MMS are not the same thing in any way, shape or form.

Quote Originally Posted by mdandashly View Post
    The threaded group messaging works for me on 4.2 but sometimes certains people in the group's messages come through on their own message.
    Does this happen only when you are the sender? My sister tends to send group messages and the replies come to me separately. They don't get threaded with her original message.

Edited because my reply triple posted.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Quote Originally Posted by TheLibertarian View Post
    I wish I knew. Its been hell for me. I've contacted AT&T, Google, and LG. Neither knows why im having the issue. Google wont help because I didnt buy the phone from them. AT&T gave all of their options and none have really worked. LG is beyond awful. They wont send me a replacement because they apparently dont do that. Instead, I have to send them my phone so a technician can look at it but it takes about 2-3 weeks minimum and I wont have a phone(I dont have a backup and should not have to purchase one). I guess im just SOL and will wait for the S4 to come out

Quote Originally Posted by N4Newbie View Post
    Group messaging is sent via MMS, not SMS. What the iPhone has done (as well as Android 4.2) is simply merge the display of both message types into a single app. But, make no mistake, SMS and MMS are not the same thing in any way, shape or form.
    Yes, that is correct...

Um, I'm not sure. It seems to happen only with certain contacts, whether I am the sender or receiver. It might be the type of phone they have, maybe blackberry or something?

Quote Originally Posted by kmcochran View Post
    Does this happen only when you are the sender? My sister tends to send group messages and the replies come to me separately. They don't get threaded with her original message.

Edited because my reply triple posted.

I think i have figured the reasoning out, but not sure as to how to solve it.

It seems like on some androids/some phones, when they send group messages, it is sent to "Unknown" and then CC'd to the group message recipients. On some phones, it does not thread the CC messages with the rest of the group message (being the receiver).

I know with my S4, this is what has been happening. I have the most recent software installed and have run a couple tests.
    My friends S3 sends messages To:Unknown and CC: [all group message numbers]. These messages end up arriving in just my conversation with the sender, not the group message.

Is this happening to anyone else? I dont know how to fix it, or how to fix it on the senders phone either. Sending a message to unknown and CCing the group message does not seem normal and makes sense as to why these messages dont show in the group message, but iPhone and some other phones thread these messages correctly.
    Why is this happening?

That is exactly what I am seeing as well on my new galaxy S4. Messages that I am receiving in a group conversation from another galaxy S4 are not grouped with the rest of the conversation and the only difference is that the remainder of the group is sending to "TO: <people>" and the person with the same phone that I have is sending to "TO: Unknown CC:<people>"

anyone knows how to fix this ? the software is updated to the latest version