How Can I Get T-Mobile's $30 Prepaid plan with my new Nexus 4?

dixonge

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
Just got my Nexus 4 and took it up to T-Mobile to try and sign up for the $30 prepaid plan, the one with 100 voice minutes and unlimited text and data. Seems like that is just damned near impossible!

First T-Mobile sent me to Walmart. Walmart told me this was only available if you bought one of their phones. There was no way to do this with an existing unlocked phone.

So we went back to T-Mobile. They can't sell me a SIM card if it isn't activated on a plan, and they can't sell the $30 prepaid plan in stores. That is only available online.

So I go back home and go to their web site. I can order a SIM card kit, but the $30 prepaid plans are not available.

I give up! So what is the most reasonable prepaid plan I can use with this phone??? I only need it for a few months before we move back overseas...

boparunsxc

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Order a micro sim kit. When it comes in the mail, activate it with the $30/month plan. Put the sim in your N4 after activating it. Reboot N4. Be happy.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

nickacs

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
Go with what Bop said (order the Micro Sim kit), for like $1.99 or whatever and then when you get it, go back on their website and follow the instructions to activate it. One of the choices will be the $30 prepaid plan. THIS IS ONLY OFFERED ON TMOBILE'S SITE. Do not go to a store, as they can't do it.
I got this plan when I got my N4 and it's easy in like 5mins when you get your micro sim. Good luck!

dixonge

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
It won't let me!

I add the MicroSIM kit to the cart for $0.99 then try to check out. The option to do so is greyed out. It seems to want to force me to choose a plan! This is driving me freaking crazy...

CoMoNexus

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
Here's what I did:

1) Ordered N4.
2) Called TMO to find out which SIM I needed for the $30 plan you want. Ordered it over the phone.
3) Phone arrived.
4) Inserted SIM.
5) Called TMO to have them set up the account.

crappy_head

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
same exact thing happend to me. t mobile and walmart gave me the runournd. just order one and wait. if you already have a t mobile sim card then you can call tmobile and get the activation number by the phone. if they say that they cant give the activation number by the phone then its BS. i hassled them until the gave it to me.

boparunsxc

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
on their website, mouse over plans, then select monthly 4g. scroll down a little bit and click on "ready to use sim cards" on the right. add a micro sim activation kit to your cart. checkout.

dixonge

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
OK, finally got support on chat - cleared my shopping cart - that seems to have fixed everything. Oh, and they talked me into buying a 2nd SIM card. WTF? I'm so gullible LOL Oh well, only an additional $0.99 :)

So now when my SIM arrives I'll be up and running within 15 minutes or so. Haven't had a U.S. wireless account in over a year, so you'd think I would be more patient...

Tall Mike 2145

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
When I was getting ready to leave Sprint, I borrowed a flip phone from a friend and got a full-size SIM card and subscribed to the $30/mo service. Then, once I was finally able to order my N4, I went to the local T-Mo corporate store and swapped out SIM cards for free with them. It all went down like nothing. No problems at all.