Wifi Issue with my nexus 4

gilikn

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys, i've been having problems getting my wifi at home to work with my new nexus 4 since I got it.
The phone can find the wifi and connect to it, but the speed is EXTREAMLY slow, or even sometimes it just doesnt work although it shows an excellent signal on the status bar.
I think it is a problem in the configuration of the router / the configuration of the phone / the router it self.
The wifi at school works with no problem and reaches high speeds, and also tried tethering from another phone and had no problems as well.
I tried to set the frequecy band to only 2.4GHz but it doesn't help either with the wifi at home.
Any suggestions?

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried updating the firmware on the router? Most have a way to do that from their settings/admin page. Your problem is not unheard of, there are definitely some routers that don't play nice with the Nexus 4 for whatever reason.

skyrockett

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
i've had this problem a couple of days ago. I downloaded wi-fi analyzer and saw that my router was broadcasting signal on channel 11 and i had 2 neighbors broadcasting on the same channel. I looked at the AP List(wi-fi analyzer app) and found that channel 5 was basically free to use in the ap list. So i manually changed it to channel 5 and everything went back to normal.. And BTW it started since last Thursday when i got my N4 so i immediately blamed N4 for it but turns out my neighbors either decided to switch the channel or somebody bought a new router. I suggest you to check your channels hope it helps.

zerkms

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
Just found that my N4 cannot connect to wifi at work. iPod touch 1g does that without any issues, but N4 just cannot :-(

gilikn

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
Have you tried updating the firmware on the router? Most have a way to do that from their settings/admin page. Your problem is not unheard of, there are definitely some routers that don't play nice with the Nexus 4 for whatever reason.
No I haven't, I think I saw that option in the router settings, but didn't give it a try.
It won't make anything worse right? I have nothing to worry about when I update the firmware?

i've had this problem a couple of days ago. I downloaded wi-fi analyzer and saw that my router was broadcasting signal on channel 11 and i had 2 neighbors broadcasting on the same channel. I looked at the AP List(wi-fi analyzer app) and found that channel 5 was basically free to use in the ap list. So i manually changed it to channel 5 and everything went back to normal.. And BTW it started since last Thursday when i got my N4 so i immediately blamed N4 for it but turns out my neighbors either decided to switch the channel or somebody bought a new router. I suggest you to check your channels hope it helps.

I'm on channel 11 at the moment as well, I will check my neighbors' channel and see if there's something to do, thanks for the help!

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
No I haven't, I think I saw that option in the router settings, but didn't give it a try.
It won't make anything worse right? I have nothing to worry about when I update the firmware?

Shouldn't be anything to worry about. The router should download and install it all on its own. You'll lose your network for a few minutes while it updates but that's about it.

gilikn

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
Shouldn't be anything to worry about. The router should download and install it all on its own. You'll lose your network for a few minutes while it updates but that's about it.
Woohoo finally got it to work! I updated the firmware as you suggested and now there are no more problems!
Thank you so much, I really appreciate your help :)

joklun

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Woohoo finally got it to work! I updated the firmware as you suggested and now there are no more problems!
Thank you so much, I really appreciate your help :)

I have the exact same problem as you described. At home my wifi is slow on my n4 no matter what I do (non of my other devices have or have ever had any problems) . At school the wifi works as it should with great speed. I have tested on two different n4 because I did RMA one, same problem on both. I have a asus n56 router, what is your router model? I have also tried different router-firmwares but it doesnt seem to change anything for me=/

joklun

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Sometimes it works to toggle wifi on/off to get full speed but most often it doesnt help. However, if it works the speed is only working good for a short while and then it caps again. For me it caps at 0,8Mbit/s and when it works well the speed is 6-7Mbit/s.

Deadringers

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
I am having this issue also.

I cannot believe it is an issue with my WiFi at home.

I have 3 APs which are spread out evenly around the house on different channels, 3, 6 and 9.

I was sitting in my room barely able to browse bbc website on my Nexus 4 :(
Yet the iPhone 5, iPad 2, old Laptop, new laptop and my PC work 100% fine in the same area.

Cannot be my AP if several other devices / manufactures work in the same place but just not the Nexus 4.

Even standing next to the router (within 5 feet from it) the nexus 4 was taking about 10-30MS RTA on any pings I sent to my gateway - should be under 5ms at the very most and more likely 1ms if we are honest.

Really disappointed with the WiFi on this so far so have RMA'd this Nexus for a replacement and will see how I get on with that.

Deadringers

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
I am having this issue also.

I cannot believe it is an issue with my WiFi at home.

I have 3 APs which are spread out evenly around the house on different channels, 3, 6 and 9.

I was sitting in my room barely able to browse bbc website on my Nexus 4 :(
Yet the iPhone 5, iPad 2, old Laptop, new laptop and my PC work 100% fine in the same area.

Cannot be my AP if several other devices / manufactures work in the same place but just not the Nexus 4.

Even standing next to the router (within 5 feet from it) the nexus 4 was taking about 10-30MS RTA on any pings I sent to my gateway - should be under 5ms at the very most and more likely 1ms if we are honest.

Really disappointed with the WiFi on this so far so have RMA'd this Nexus for a replacement and will see how I get on with that.
Well it's a weird old world!

Following on from my Nexus 4 WiFi Issues I was mucking about with my wireless APs tonight.

Turns out there was a newer version of the Firmware out and so I upgraded to that.

IT WORKS!?

Quite amazing that before the Firmware upgrade on the APs I had the following devices working at full G & N speeds without issue:

iPhone 4
iPhone 4s
iPhone 5
iPad 2
iPad (3rd Gen)
Old Toshiba laptop (G speeds)
IBM Laptop (no idea but a 2011 or newer model)
HTC wild fire
Blackberry (no idea but a fairly new model)
My Desktop PC (Asus Card)

but not the following device:
Nexus 4.

The nexus 4 would show full bars when sitting next to an AP (or in the same room) yet would be un-usable on Wifi.

Now it's flawless!?

:eek::rolleyes:

I got straight on the phone to google after 30 minutes of more testing and tried to get the RMA canceled - They couldn't as it was already shipped to me for delivery tomorrow.

They advised me that I should just swap out the phone - accept the new one and I won't get charged.

I must say I am overall very impressed with Google's response and their customer service has been brilliant so can't fault them there.

I'll get to grips with this phone now properly over the next few days and report back. :thumbsup:

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Hey,

I will have excellent strength on my mobile but as soon I click on connect it turns out as "not in Range".
I installed wifi analyser and got to know Channel-6 is my wifi. Now how do I change this in the mobile setting. Correct me if I am wrong. CAn this setting be changed in Mobile or Router?

Please help.

frenziedfemale

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Hey,

I will have excellent strength on my mobile but as soon I click on connect it turns out as "not in Range".
I installed wifi analyser and got to know Channel-6 is my wifi. Now how do I change this in the mobile setting. Correct me if I am wrong. CAn this setting be changed in Mobile or Router?

Please help.
You change the channel in your router settings. The how will depend on your router. Best way would be to Google your router and how to access the settings if you don't already know.

sabrina_mash

May 27, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys, I recently bought the Nexus 4 and I've been having slight problems with the Wi-Fi. The Wi-Fi seems to work perfectly fine at my grandma's and aunts, everywhere else except in my own house. Rarely, the connection comes through but most of the times-with full connection application like Google still do not work! Someone please help!

gsfromc

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
Well I was really upset with the problems connecting to my home wifi when I got my phone home but I did the firmware update on my Asus RT-N13U (from 1.xx to 7.6.2) and voila, connection to my phone was great.

cobrax5

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
I've had an issue with my Nexus 4 and slow wireless connection. It started happening after a recent 4.3 update.

A few fixes I've come across that have seemed to help are as follows:
1. Make sure your router's security is AES only
2. Make sure WMM is enabled (this applies to my DD-WRT flashed router)
3. Try to turn off your GPS, disconnect from Wifi, and then reconnect to Wifi
4. Forget your network and reconnect with a static IP
5. Change your router's wireless channel to a less congested one

For me, #3 was the money. My GPS was interfering with my wireless speeds. I would get decent upload (like almost 1MBps) but terrible download (like 100KBps). Once I turned off my GPS I was able to get 3MBps down and 2MBps up.

Hope this helps...:)