Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 21 of 21
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By runtmms
  • 2 Post By wunderbar
  • 1 Post By Yell0w
  • 1 Post By return_0
  • 1 Post By Pollster
  • 1 Post By Yell0w
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    return_0's Avatar

    Posts
    2,523 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock (soon to be PA3)

    Default Complete backup of data without root

    Hello everyone.

    I want to know if there is a way to back up everything on the Nexus 4 without rooting. Not the usual auto-synced stuff, but EVERYTHING. App data, pictures, EVERY SINGLE FILE.

    The only backup options I know of are G Cloud Backup and Carbon. I'm not sure if either backs up all files, so it would be much appreciated if anyone could assure me that one can do a complete back up and, if not, point me to an app that does so (preferably free :P).

    Not sure what difference this makes, but the main purpose of doing this is that I want to root my N4 and don't want to lose data. I also want to do this in case I lose my phone, it gets damaged to the point of no longer functioning, or I am forced to factory reset it.

    Thanks for all the help.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Complete backup of data without root

    I don't know. I used wugfresh's root kit. There's a backup option that some instructions said to use before proceeding to root. I didn't because I rooted out of the box. It looks like it will create a full backup without root - but I could be wrong.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 on Solavei
    Rizy7 likes this.
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Complete backup of data without root

    Carbon will back up apps and app data, Google takes care of the settings. As for pictures, just attach them to a computer via USB and copy them over.

    I personally don't want to take a system image of my phone anyway. Google provides a stock factory image that you can apply if everything goes sideways, restoring the apps I want via carbon backup is trivial and I always have my pictures backed up off the phone anyway. Everything else (even the apps, really), is just a matter of re-installing apps, which isn't *that* big of a deal. the only thing that really does matter is any pictures/video I've taken.
    Rizy7 and zerkms like this.
  4. #4  
    Yell0w's Avatar

    Posts
    269 Posts
    Global Posts
    678 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Cyanogen 6.1

    Default Re: Complete backup of data without root

    Quote Originally Posted by wunderbar View Post
    the only thing that really does matter is any pictures/video I've taken.
    Dropbox backs up those two things for me.
    ConTejas likes this.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Complete backup of data without root

    Quote Originally Posted by wunderbar View Post
    Carbon will back up apps and app data, Google takes care of the settings. As for pictures, just attach them to a computer via USB and copy them over.
    +1000 Also, i auto backup pictures and videos to google+ instant. all my music live on google music. Docs and other files on google drive.

    I have misc files(downloaded from internet) on my device which I dont care even if they are gone.
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Complete backup of data without root

    Quote Originally Posted by wunderbar View Post
    Carbon will back up apps and app data, Google takes care of the settings. As for pictures, just attach them to a computer via USB and copy them over.
    Does carbon only backup apps+data or can it backup sms + images/music/video as well? I'd like to have a solid backup of everything in one place, not split to multiple services
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Complete backup of data without root

    I can't tell you about SMS since I use mysms which puts all of them in the cloud. For images/music/video, again they shouldn't be the only copy you have of that content. If it is get them off to a computer or cloud service. Your phone should never be the *only* place where things like that live. Backing up music/video when I already have it stored somewhere is pointless.
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Complete backup of data without root

    Quote Originally Posted by wunderbar View Post
    Your phone should never be the *only* place where things like that live. Backing up music/video when I already have it stored somewhere is pointless.
    I'm not talking about the only place, I'm talking about a tool that would allow you to restore the phone to exactly the same state as it was before wiping/reset, like iTunes/iOS does. So that you wasn't required to manually copy the content from another sources (and keep in mind that you need to remember what you had on the phone and what you need to copy). Does it make sense?
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Complete backup of data without root

    Oh I absolutely get it. I used to do system images on my Windows machines all the time before I got to the point where I realized i was largely just wasting my time doing it, since whenever I needed a new windows install I just did a fresh one anyway. And I really think that applies even more to a device like a phone.. If I can't remember everything that was on my device than that probably means I had things on it I was never seeing/using, so why bother backing it up, especially when the content is already in 2 or 3 other places. If I do end up finding something I'm missing, well I can go get it from where ever it came from.

    two different schools of thought I guess, I put everything where i can easily get at it if I need it, not worrying if I actually have it on me at all times. But hey, to each their own.
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Complete backup of data without root

    Quote Originally Posted by wunderbar View Post
    two different schools of thought I guess, I put everything where i can easily get at it if I need it, not worrying if I actually have it on me at all times. But hey, to each their own.
    Yeah, but as a pretty new android user (just 2nd day today) I'm worrying about lack of knowledge of what to backup. So as a first solution I'd prefer to have just-pack-everything-I-have solution :-) Otherwise I will end up wasting hours to find one application to backup apps settings/data, another - to backup sms, another - to backup system settings, and so on. And still after that I won't feel protected, just because of lack of experience there is a chance I miss something important to backup.

    Btw, in the go sms pro description they state they could backup to the cloud, cannot see how to turn it on in the settings though :-( Only backup to SD card is available
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  
    return_0's Avatar

    Posts
    2,523 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock (soon to be PA3)

    Default Re: Complete backup of data without root

    Quote Originally Posted by zerkms View Post
    I'm not talking about the only place, I'm talking about a tool that would allow you to restore the phone to exactly the same state as it was before wiping/reset, like iTunes/iOS does. So that you wasn't required to manually copy the content from another sources (and keep in mind that you need to remember what you had on the phone and what you need to copy). Does it make sense?
    Bingo. That's exactly what I'm looking for.
    zerkms likes this.
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Complete backup of data without root

    I think what you want is a nandroid backup which you are only going to get if you are rooted.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Complete backup of data without root

    The only thing I worry about is the time it takes to apply High Res pictures to my contacts. If you don't apply your images to the contacts through the phone, but instead allow your sync to your Google contacts apply the pics, they look like crap on the phone. I've had to reset my account on the phone and it took days to re-apply every contact photo.
    smileman likes this.
  14. #14  
    Yell0w's Avatar

    Posts
    269 Posts
    Global Posts
    678 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Cyanogen 6.1

    Default Re: Complete backup of data without root

    Quote Originally Posted by zerkms View Post
    Btw, in the go sms pro description they state they could backup to the cloud, cannot see how to turn it on in the settings though :-( Only backup to SD card is available
    I understand what you mean about wanting one app to backup everything on your phone, but I'm not sure if such apps exist for the meantime.

    For pictures and videos, Dropbox does that and I have it set up so that when the phone is connected to wifi, it will start the backup process.

    For SMS, I use this app call SMS backup+ and it backup the text messages in your google/Gmail account.

    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...oggles.smssync

    Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    zerkms likes this.
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Complete backup of data without root

    Hello Wunderbar,
    I just want to know if there is a way at all to take complete backup of my android phone(HTC Desire V,ICS 4.0.3) without rooting. So far i don't know there is anything that can do my thing without rooting it. Now if i root and take a complete back up of my device, and then if i flash the stock ROM that is provided by HTC ,will then the phone will be restored to its locked state(unrooted) like now it is(I just want to tweak android and also don't want to void my warranty..:P).

    Thanks in advance...
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  
    return_0's Avatar

    Posts
    2,523 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock (soon to be PA3)

    Default Re: Complete backup of data without root

    Quote Originally Posted by Ani90 View Post
    Hello Wunderbar,
    I just want to know if there is a way at all to take complete backup of my android phone(HTC Desire V,ICS 4.0.3) without rooting. So far i don't know there is anything that can do my thing without rooting it. Now if i root and take a complete back up of my device, and then if i flash the stock ROM that is provided by HTC ,will then the phone will be restored to its locked state(unrooted) like now it is(I just want to tweak android and also don't want to void my warranty..:P).

    Thanks in advance...
    This is an old thread that is in the Nexus 4 forums. It may help to create a new thread in the appropriate forum section.

    Sent from my pure Google Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Complete backup of data without root

    Quote Originally Posted by wunderbar View Post
    Carbon will back up apps and app data, Google takes care of the settings. As for pictures, just attach them to a computer via USB and copy them over.

    I personally don't want to take a system image of my phone anyway. Google provides a stock factory image that you can apply if everything goes sideways, restoring the apps I want via carbon backup is trivial and I always have my pictures backed up off the phone anyway. Everything else (even the apps, really), is just a matter of re-installing apps, which isn't *that* big of a deal. the only thing that really does matter is any pictures/video I've taken.
    Thanks for this! I used Helium (Carbon) to transfer most of my Apps to a new phone.

    But a caveat for everyone using HTC (Sense). I backed up HTC Sense (I was basically backing up everything) and my new phone couldn't work anymore. It kept crashing.... I finally had to do a factory reset. Luckily, the phone was just new and I hadn't installed a lot of stuff on it.
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Complete backup of data without root

    i just had great luck with "helium" (used to be carbon). It backs up the app and game info for what is selected. I backed it up internally, then got on the PC and copied that file info to a new phone. other options available with paid app. And then on the new phone did a restore. worked great. kinda of reminds me of sideloading on a blackberry (phone goes into developer mode)
  19. #19  

    Default Re: Complete backup of data without root

    Im on android 235 and im looking for some app like carbon, but not successfully. My HTC Desire S cannot run on higher android like 235. I dont have problem root it and use titanium, but problem is that i want move to new HTC One (with Subway Surfer) and this new device i will not root because of warranty... Some help for me ? Thanks alot
  20. #20  

    Default Re: Complete backup of data without root

    Quote Originally Posted by Patrik Soltis View Post
    Im on android 235 and im looking for some app like carbon, but not successfully. My HTC Desire S cannot run on higher android like 235. I dont have problem root it and use titanium, but problem is that i want move to new HTC One (with Subway Surfer) and this new device i will not root because of warranty... Some help for me ? Thanks alot
    the app has been renamed to Helium now. Also, the app only works on Android 4.0 and up
  21. #21  

    Default Re: Complete backup of data without root

    And thats my problem. Im looking for another apps like G Cloud backup, My Backup Pro or Titanium Media Sync, but I think they will back up just ONLY apps not apps data.

Similar Threads

  1. Easy Backup of Data (and Home Screen) Settings?
    By joeturni in forum Verizon Galaxy S3
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-20-2012, 06:29 AM
  2. [REF] Complete List of Roms | Kernels | Rooting/Other Guides for Nexus S 4G
    By jp22382 in forum Sprint Nexus S 4G Rooting, ROMs, and Hacks
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-25-2011, 02:16 PM
  3. Replies: 21
    Last Post: 05-30-2011, 04:04 PM
  4. Restore data without Root Access
    By dcusick1 in forum Motorola X Rooting, ROMs, and Hacks
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-14-2011, 09:28 AM
  5. complete backup of phone?
    By murso74 in forum Sprint Epic 4G
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-30-2010, 03:05 AM

Posting Permissions