Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Nexus 4 tethering success stories?

I haven't been very lucky at tethering:
    I got my Nexus 4 from play store and got the T-mobile unlimited 4G plan (no cap), without tethering plan. The phone is rooted with stock 4.2.2
    I have been searching all over for ways to tether, but failed to make any of them work properly:
    - I use firefox with useragent switcher.
    - I've tried Wifi tether rooted app, but only macbook can detect it (under wifi device). Windows and android tablet does not detect it. I've also tried with Hotspot shield and onavo extend app.
    - I've tried 1-click tether, clockwork tether, foxifi, barnacle, none of them worked for me.
    - If I use the Nexus built-in tether function, Windows can connect to it, but it is limited (I've waited 30mins, it stays limited).

Anyone successfully got tethering working on their phone? Please share your method! Thank you!

Default Re: Nexus 4 tethering success stories?

Quote Originally Posted by chocobread View Post
    I haven't been very lucky at tethering:
    I got my Nexus 4 from play store and got the T-mobile unlimited 4G plan (no cap), without tethering plan. The phone is rooted with stock 4.2.2
    I have been searching all over for ways to tether, but failed to make any of them work properly:
    - I use firefox with useragent switcher.
    - I've tried Wifi tether rooted app, but only macbook can detect it (under wifi device). Windows and android tablet does not detect it. I've also tried with Hotspot shield and onavo extend app.
    - I've tried 1-click tether, clockwork tether, foxifi, barnacle, none of them worked for me.
    - If I use the Nexus built-in tether function, Windows can connect to it, but it is limited (I've waited 30mins, it stays limited).

Anyone successfully got tethering working on their phone? Please share your method! Thank you!
    I've never had a problem with the build-in Wi-Fi tethering. It sounds like the problem might be a configuration with your computer's copy of Windows. Did you try using a different security type (Open, WPA, WPA2)?

I've activated the tethering feature on my N4 and have been able to tether to my MacBooks and iPhone. I've had to leave the security open though but that's not a problem for where I would be using it.

Global Posts
    612 Global Posts

I also get 'limited' when tethering to Windows 8. I haven't figure it out why. Ubuntu tethers fine, as well as Android tablet. I was using built-in tethering.

I was able to tether my Nexus 7 tablet.

Got it working by disabling 802.11n mode in device manager wlan advanced settings.

Quote Originally Posted by jdbii View Post
    I also get 'limited' when tethering to Windows 8. I haven't figure it out why. Ubuntu tethers fine, as well as Android tablet. I was using built-in tethering.
    Try using the Windows option to repair the connection, that always works for me.

I tether my ipad all the time with no issues. Tmobile using built in hotspot feature.

Global Posts
    612 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gone down south View Post
    Try using the Windows option to repair the connection, that always works for me.
    Thanks.........I thought I posted, but I figured out what I was doing wrong -- I didn't have data enabled on my N4 in the phone settings. Once I toggled it on I could tether fine using stock android to any device or platform.

I got caught using Firefox 20.0.1 and am now using Chrome only Firefox kept redirecting me to T-Mobile's tethering block site after I downloaded a 33MB file at ~250Kbps. Outrageous! USB tethering my Nexus 4 on T-Mobile's $30 prepaid. T-Mobile may have used packet sniffing on me

I've been using SwitchPro Widget to toggle WiFi tethering on my T-Mobile Nexus 4 without issue. I can use hundreds of MB's undetected on my iPad or MacBook. It won't even log the data usage on my account. Maybe I'm lucky, but this also worked on my VZW Galaxy Nexus.

A few days ago my DSL went out. I started using my N4 to Tether to a MB. I used it for a few hours and then fell asleep leaving the computer on still tethered to the phone. When I woke up, I forgot that the phone was still tethering and use it like that a few more hours all on T-Mobile.
    ChromeJob likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rayzaname View Post
    ... It won't even log the data usage on my account. Maybe I'm lucky, but this also worked on my VZW Galaxy Nexus.
    Not even sure how this is possible....

I've tethered a Chromebook, Nexus 7, and iPod Touch to my stock Nexus 4, no problem. Bluetooth and wifi (though bt sucked for significant data needs). When i later logged into tmobile's support site there was an annunciation that my current phone was "incompatible" with my plan and would i please call customer service to address the matter? LMFAO Yeah, sure. Right.

// Tapatalk HD for Android - Nexus 7 //
    Sent by accident, not using the Android Central app
    Nexus 4 (Mako), Amaze 4G on T-Mobile. Nexus 7 16GB. Google Chromebook (2012 Samsung 16gb). Next stop, a Google flush toilet.
    Did I solve your problem? Hit the Thanks button. Was I just a nuisance? Sorry, can't bat .400 every day.

Quote Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
    Not even sure how this is possible....
    I said the same thing, but I've only been with T-Mobile for less than a month. I'll check it as time progresses.

Quote Originally Posted by rayzaname View Post
    I said the same thing, but I've only been with T-Mobile for less than a month. I'll check it as time progresses.
    Download T-Mobile's My Account app, or call #932# (#web#), to check data usage.

Nexus 4 (Mako), Amaze 4G on T-Mobile. Nexus 7 16GB. Google Chromebook (2012 Samsung 16gb). Next stop, a Google flush toilet.
    Did I solve your problem? Hit the Thanks button. Was I just a nuisance? Sorry, can't bat .400 every day.
    Thanked by:

Live in nz, don't have to buy a tethering plan for it to work.

Quote Originally Posted by rubikMD View Post
    I got caught using Firefox 20.0.1 and am now using Chrome only Firefox kept redirecting me to T-Mobile's tethering block site after I downloaded a 33MB file at ~250Kbps. Outrageous! USB tethering my Nexus 4 on T-Mobile's $30 prepaid. T-Mobile may have used packet sniffing on me
    Whats wrong with using firefox? You mean FoxFi?

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk

Tethered my N4 with W7 laptop this weekend. Great speed! Was almost as fast as my cable at home. Easily watched HD Slingbox. Got email from T-Mobile saying to activate tethering at their website to avoid problems. On $70 unlimited prepaid plan. Still using N4 w/o problems but not tethering as of now.

Quote Originally Posted by dsneedmd View Post
    .. "to avoid problems" . On $70 unlimited prepaid plan. Still using N4 w/o problems but not tethering as of now.
    Dear tmobile : please stop threatening customers, to avoid problems.

Like bad press, cancellation, suits, etc.

I switched to TMO a few months ago.
    I have a Nexus 4, 7, Note 2, GS3, One S and One X+.
    Id like to use the Nexus 4 as my primary device so i can use the wifi tethering with my Nexus 7 and maybe note 2 from time to time.
    My question is, do i use the built in tethering option or do i use WiFi Tether for rooted users?
    Does the built in tethering option on the Nexus 4 alert TMO that im tethering or use my allotted 500megs of tethering? or since its a Nexus is that a stand alone feature that just uses the normal phone data?
    Im on a business plan with unlimited 4G data, no throttling. It also comes with 500 megs of tethering, but i think all new plans do.
    DropBox lets you sync files across Android, iOS, and Desktop Computers. Sign up for free, install, get me and you extra space! DropBox
    Twitter @AndroidTechGuy and @IAmSixNine
    Google+Google+

Global Posts
    612 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by IAmSixNine View Post
    Id like to use the Nexus 4 as my primary device so i can use the wifi tethering with my Nexus 7 and maybe note 2 from time to time.
    I don't think tethering to a N7 will alert Tmobile, and I would assume the same would be true for tethering to another mobile device. I've been following this forum since January and I have yet to see one person post they got a warning from Tmobile for tethering from a N4 to a N7.

Quote Originally Posted by IAmSixNine View Post
    Does the built in tethering option on the Nexus 4 alert TMO that im tethering or use my allotted 500megs of tethering?
    My understanding, (again based off of following this forum), is no.

Anybody is welcome to correct the following, but I don't think it matters if you use the stock tethering or a third party app. It is not the tethering per se that triggers an alert from Tmobile, but rather something about carriers being able to identify the markings of PC desktop internet traffic. When servers communicate with a PC's a type of "desktop traffic is sent," and this is different than internet traffic between the servers and a mobile devices, and there is some way for Tmobile to differentiate between the two. The alert isn't automatic but rather Tmobile has to actually look at your traffic, and if your doing something to bring attention to yourself like out of the blue consuming a lot more data than you are more likely to be looked at.

Thanks @jdbii for the quick response. I do follow the logic of the packet info being different from mobile device to desktop device and that would be a great way for TMO to determine if someone is tethering with out their approval.
    Ill give it a whirl this weekend with the stock app and see if it eats my 500 megs.
    Give me some time and ill try to report back my sucess.
    DropBox lets you sync files across Android, iOS, and Desktop Computers. Sign up for free, install, get me and you extra space! DropBox
    Google+Google+

ROM
    Perma-rooted and unlocked

If you are rooted, I would use an app that requires root, because I think it is more likely to evade T-Mobile's monitoring. I don't know for sure if it works of course. But I think it is more likely.

I have an unlimited plan and am allowed 500mb of tethering a month, and I don't use it often. But I want to be off T-Mobile's radar in case I decide to go over that in the future. I use an app called Wifi Tether (), but I have been able to use FoxFi as well (). I have used both to tether on T-Mobile with a Nexus 4.

Global Posts
    612 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JeffDenver View Post
    If you are rooted, I would use an app that requires root, because I think it is more likely to evade T-Mobile's monitoring
    This of course is probably true, but I have yet to see somebody actually confirm this point.

The one thing I have seen people mention that they have had success with is using a "switch agent" add-on on their browser or using a VPN on their PC, but that doesn't apply to @iamsixnine questions because he isn't tethering to a PC.

Ive already set up my N4 to use the stock wifi hot spot app with my Note 2 and N7.
    Ill try to burn thru my 500 meg cap over the weekend and report back Monday or so with the results.
    If tethering stops after 500 megs ill know its the stock app and supplied data, Then i will try WiFi Tether for root users. Ive already downloaded several versions and put them in my drop box folder on my device. Guess we shall see how it goes.
    Google+Google+
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast