I don't know if this illegal, but at best, it's unethical.

dchawk81

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Absolutely, if you want the easy way, you gotta pay for it. Having 5 lines of service is quite costly if I went the unlimited everything route, especially when you are on a budget. I would rather make a few compromises to save what to me is a substantial sum of money while still on the network with the best coverage and unlimited unthrottled 4glte. I understand that everyone has different things which they are willing to sacrifice. Unless you are rich, you have to make the decision which is best for you.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II

Absolutely. That's why I've said I've been in the situation of using workarounds. I love to save money...but some things prove to be more stress via hassles than the financial savings can compensate.

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Yes but even that "easy" connection process itself gets old after awhile, if you use it a lot. Compared to a laptop that's just on and the internet being just connected. I've been there, believe me.

Granted, I come from the business perspective of time lost being money lost. However, most people don't like inconvenience AT ALL. They'll pay to reduce or eliminate it, and I'm becoming one of those people as the years go by.

I don't think anyone likes Comcast though, by the way. That's who I'm stuck with, but it's far better than turning on my phone's hotspot constantly.

I also factor in above-average "wear and tear" when trying work arounds like these. I would be a bit concerned with burning out a component on my phone if I tethered with it all the time. Maybe the new phones are built to handle the stress, but I still would prefer to spare my phone all that extra heat.

Unicorn Rancher

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I agree. It's one thing to do it while traveling occasionally, especially if you're stuck in a hotel that charges $10 for internet. It's another thing to tether 24x7.

androidluvr2

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I love to save money...but some things prove to be more stress via hassles than the financial savings can compensate.
It really just depends on how much money you have whether eliminating the hassles are worth the financial savings. Some people wouldn't be able to afford a smartphone with even a 2GB data package at all without some of these workarounds.

On the old nationwide VZW plans, being able to do all your texting through google voice would save you $240/year and if you could reduce your minutes usage through google voice you could go with the minimum plan and that would save another $360/year compared to unlimited minutes. So you could save $600/year. That's a months worth of rent for some people. Or 2 months of car payments.

androidluvr2

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I also factor in above-average "wear and tear" when trying work arounds like these. I would be a bit concerned with burning out a component on my phone if I tethered with it all the time. Maybe the new phones are built to handle the stress, but I still would prefer to spare my phone all that extra heat.
Do you think if you upgrade every 20 months it would be a factor? I plan on upgrading the minute I am eligible.

dchawk81

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
It really just depends on how much money you have whether eliminating the hassles are worth the financial savings. Some people wouldn't be able to afford a smartphone with even a 2GB data package at all without some of these workarounds.

On the old nationwide VZW plans, being able to do all your texting through google voice would save you $240/year and if you could reduce your minutes usage through google voice you could go with the minimum plan and that would save another $360/year compared to unlimited minutes. So you could save $600/year. That's a months worth of rent for some people. Or 2 months of car payments.

If someone is that tight, I have to question whether they need a fancy smart phone with a data plan in the first place.

If I had no money and the data was just a way to kill time, I'd reactivate the old flip on a cheap plan so I had the basics covered, and I'd spend the difference on gas trying to get a job.

androidluvr2

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
If someone is that tight, I have to question whether they need a fancy smart phone with a data plan in the first place.
No one needs a fancy smartphone with a data plan. But most everyone would like to have one and for some people the only way to have one is the work arounds.

If I had no money and the data was just a way to kill time, I'd reactivate the old flip on a cheap plan so I had the basics covered, and I'd spend the difference on gas trying to get a job.
There are a lot of employed people for whom $600/year would make or break whether or not they could have a smartphone. And it wasn't that long ago that unemployment was over 10% in this country and higher in some parts so you could look all you wanted for a job but no one was hiring.

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Do you think if you upgrade every 20 months it would be a factor? I plan on upgrading the minute I am eligible.

I have no particular expertise, but I think you would be fine if you upgrade every 20 months. What is most important is your own comfort level. Added "wear and tear" or the perception of such, is just one thing to factor in among all the other factors like convenience and cost. It also depends on a person's needs. If I was a college student and spent very little time at home, tethering from my phone would be perfect. Also, if I was just a casual internet browser who only read the NY Times and emailed then the phone would be perfect. But I don't think I'd be comfortable with online gaming, streaming Netflix, or file-sharing with my phone as my internet hotspot.

androidluvr2

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
But I don't think I'd be comfortable with online gaming, streaming Netflix, or file-sharing with my phone as my internet hotspot.
I don't do any of those so it would be fine for me. I really just do email and web surf and trade stocks. My mom plays facebook games. We tried Netflix but when the DSL was too slow, we got rid of it.

dchawk81

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
No one needs a fancy smartphone with a data plan. But most everyone would like to have one and for some people the only way to have one is the work arounds.

There are a lot of employed people for whom $600/year would make or break whether or not they could have a smartphone. And it wasn't that long ago that unemployment was over 10% in this country and higher in some parts so you could look all you wanted for a job but no one was hiring.

All the more reason to not have a smart phone and the ridiculous costs associated with it.

Thank you for reinforcing my point.

dchawk81

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
I have no particular expertise, but I think you would be fine if you upgrade every 20 months. What is most important is your own comfort level. Added "wear and tear" or the perception of such, is just one thing to factor in among all the other factors like convenience and cost. It also depends on a person's needs. If I was a college student and spent very little time at home, tethering from my phone would be perfect. Also, if I was just a casual internet browser who only read the NY Times and emailed then the phone would be perfect. But I don't think I'd be comfortable with online gaming, streaming Netflix, or file-sharing with my phone as my internet hotspot.

Indeed. I still fire mine up for out of the office work. I wouldn't pay an airport or hotel's obnoxious hotspot fee. Heck sometimes I'm out where there are no other options. I just won't use it all day every day because that's just too hard on it.

Heck I even had to make up a cooling rig that ran on AA batteries and everything. When I did that I stepped back and realized how ridiculous it all was.

androidluvr2

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
All the more reason to not have a smart phone and the ridiculous costs associated with it.

Thank you for reinforcing my point.
I didn't reinforce your point. My point was that the smartphones are desirable and some employed people can get one if they use the workarounds but can't if they don't. So for them, the hassles of the workarounds are worth it because otherwise they couldn't have one at all.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

In my case, switching to a dumb phone would save $24 per month, the cost of unlimited unthrottled 4glte for my line. However, my work does not allow using work computers for personal use, even during breaks, lunch, etc. Having my note 2 allows me to browse the Internet, check email, watch movies, or whatever. I use my note 2 to check for deals, some of which last only a short time. I easily save over $24 a month on the deals that I get, so it is worth it for me, even though it is an added expense, the overall savings from all the deals I get make it well worth it

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
You would lose your unlimited data forever!

I am going to sign off after this post, because I am like a kid who can stay out of the cookie jar following this thread, but THAT IS AN EXCELLENT POINT. For those who have been grandfathered into unlimited data it is kind of a blessing and a curse. You are screwed for life if you give it up, but it costs and arm and a leg.

androidluvr2

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I am going to sign off after this post, because I am like a kid who can stay out of the cookie jar following this thread, but THAT IS AN EXCELLENT POINT. For those who have been grandfathered into unlimited data it is kind of a blessing and a curse. You are screwed for life if you give it up, but it costs and arm and a leg.
Golden handcuffs binding me to VZW for life (or at least as long as they let me keep the unlimited data plan once my contract ends or until Sprint's 4G LTE network is up and running but Sprint will probably eliminate unlimited data then).

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I didn't reinforce your point. My point was that the smartphones are desirable and some employed people can get one if they use the workarounds but can't if they don't. So for them, the hassles of the workarounds are worth it because otherwise they couldn't have one at all.

I agree. Not so much because I can't afford it, but finances are a little tight for a family with only one person working. Is $600 gonna break the bank? No. But my wife would not be happy, and rightfully so. I had to go through hoops to get my note 2 for $37. If i had paid $600+, I would probably be in the dog house for some time.