Why Use Anti Virus?

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I know some people are religious about it and others are atheist about it. I used it for a year after reading all the hype from Lookout and Avg. I don't see a need for it as of yet. Has there been an attack on any mobile operating system? I find it amazing there hasn't been. Can anyone guess why? I'm just pondering here... looking for some CIVIL feedback.

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
Well malware is out there. People that get it 99% of the time downloading something from a unofficial app store, or installed a pirated app. Basically if you don't click on every link you see, visit every web page you come across, or use pirated app on your phone you'll be fine. Download apps from Google Play, which scans every app when it is submitted, Amazon App store, or another legitimate app store and youll be fine. No need for anti virus, in my experience they just slow your phone down, destroy your battery life, and cause more problems then they solve.

Edit: As far as an attack on a mobile OS as a whole, probably will happen one day. Haven't heard of any that made a whole OS vulnerable.

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Here is the lay of the land. It's simple. Your phone is a mini computer. Just like on a computer, if you click strange links in messages that you receive, or if you download pirated content, you're putting yourself at risk.

If you stick to official channels like the Play Store and browse smart just like you would on a PC, you'll be just fine.

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Here is the lay of the land. It's simple. Your phone is a mini computer. Just like on a computer, if you click strange links in messages that you receive, or if you download pirated content, you're putting yourself at risk.

If you stick to official channels like the Play Store and browse smart just like you would on a PC, you'll be just fine.

The Super Moderator has spoken! Geesh..... I didn't think you guys patroled on a Friday night.... lol.

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site

Exactly, and any other question just click the link at the bottom of his profile.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I don't use it because I figure if I ever get a virus (which I consider unlikely), I can rebuild my phone from scratch in about 30 minutes. So I have no interest in using up resources with an anti virus app constantly running on my phone forever, for something that will probably never happen.

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I don't use it because I figure if I ever get a virus (which I consider unlikely), I can rebuild my phone from scratch in about 30 minutes. So I have no interest in using up resources with an anti virus app constantly running on my phone forever, for something that will probably never happen.

Ummmm..... you can build your phone from scratch? I'm not doubting you, I just never heard anyone say this before. Wow!

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
Ummmm..... you can build your phone from scratch? I'm not doubting you, I just never heard anyone say this before. Wow!

He means that he can delete everything, reflash the ROM again, redownload everything and be up and running without the virus.

Tall Mike 2145

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I'm in the same situation here: I can almost always instantly afford to wipe my phone, too.

I keep all my custom ringtone and notification sounds backed up on my Google Drive account. I stream all my music, via Play, Pandora, or Shoutcast. Most of the photos I take I can afford to lose, and those I can't I try to remember to back up ASAP. So, basically that leaves apps and Chrome bookmarks.

It amazes me there's people for whom, in this day and age, this should be any sort of problem at all. If one doesn't know enough to store their stuff safely and back up manually where necessary, well... I guess such a person shouldn't have a computer or smartphone in the first place. ;-)

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
To answer your question read the 100s of post n threads on this. Read what jerry and Phil post. Don't read or fall for the hype the media post. And don't read apple blogs saying android is a bed of malicious bugs.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Google does check there store. They do have a thing called bouncer that every app goes through and check before being released.
I get really annoyed downloading a anti virus on my android devices. Google needs start checking their store

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital