transferring files from ubuntu 12.10 to Android

Linds0187

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
I just got an LG Nexus 4, and I'm having trouble getting it to talk with my PC. I use ubuntu 12.10 as an OS, and I can't seem to find a way to transfer music from my computer to my phone. I connected it with a USB and nadda.

Any tips or solutions would be appreciated.

googol

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I just got an LG Nexus 4, and I'm having trouble getting it to talk with my PC. I use ubuntu 12.10 as an OS, and I can't seem to find a way to transfer music from my computer to my phone. I connected it with a USB and nadda.

Any tips or solutions would be appreciated.

Nexus devices now use MTP (Media Transfer Protocol) which is not natively supported in Linux. There are tools available for Windows and Macs, but there is a way to get it working on Ubuntu if you are up for entering a few commands in terminal to set things up. Here is the guide [How to] Connect your Android Ice Cream Sandwich Phone to Ubuntu for File Access | OMG! Ubuntu! This works for Jellybean as well. MTP works the same on ICS and Jellybean. It is a standard separate from the Android OS.

Post back here if you run into problems or if you get it to work successfully.

Linds0187

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
This answer was great, and thanks for being so quick, it did not work however. haha,
I went through all the steps, and my final command in terminal was "android-connect"
The result was as follows:
dansay@dansay2:~$ android-connect
Listing raw device(s)
Device 0 (VID=18d1 and PID=4ee1) is UNKNOWN.
Please report this VID/PID and the device model to the libmtp development team
Found 1 device(s):
18d1:4ee1 @ bus 2, dev 4
Attempting to connect device
PTP_ERROR_IO: failed to open session, trying again after resetting USB interface
LIBMTP libusb: Attempt to reset device
Android device detected, assigning default bug flags
Listing File Information on Device with name: (NULL)
fuse: bad mount point `/media/GalaxyNexus': Transport endpoint is not connected

I just flat out don't know what to do with this. Does it make a difference that my phone is an LG Nexus 4 and not a Samsung Galaxy as the instructions were written for?
I feel like I got so close... then ubuntu was like..... "ummmm... yeah.... not happening kiddo."
Any further help would be really appreciated.

Last edited:

googol

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Do you have the SDK installed by any chance?
I would check the vendor ID and Product ID that you entered in 51-android.rules file. Just copy the information from Configuring USB access at https://source.android.com/source/initializing.html and make any necessary changes as listed there. I don't think you actually need to have Nexus 4's product and vendor IDs listed in that file to use MTP. Mine works without it, but I would change 51-android.rules file contents to match what it says in the link just as a test.

when typing up the commands that say "echo" from the other link, make sure to retype the entire command rather than using copy and paste. The quotation marks from the website will not function the same and might give errors. I would try starting from the beginning again and try running the commands by typing them fully.

It doesn't matter that the device is a Nexus 4 rather than a Galaxy Nexus (except product and vendor IDs would be different, but I don't think you need that anyway unless you were planning on building the Android source code.)

Linds0187

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
So I can see my phone as a connected device/file system on my computer... but when I select it I'm told that there is an error when getting information for /media/GalaxyNexus, and that the "transport endpoint is not connected". I am told to select another viewer and try again. I feel like my computer's giving me lip.

If you have it in you to give me one more piece of advice before I give up, I'd appreciate it.

googol

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Did starting from scratch and typing the commands rather than copying them not work?

Try running the following command to open the file explorer

$sudo nautilus

Then open the "GalaxyNexus" mount point or whatever you named it.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Linds0187

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
I never copied and pasted in the first place. I did do the commands over again carefully to make sure there were no errors though, and no that didn't work - same outcome. I will give that last command a try when I get a chance. Thanks for all your help, and I'm sure if I had a slightly better idea what I was doing in the first place your help would have been enough. Either way I love the phone, and I'm learning to love ubuntu....... ever-so-slowly. If I have to I'll stream or download music right onto my phone.

googol

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Sorry it didn't work out. I have had my fair share of frustrations with Linux, but it works well once you figure out basic command line stuff. I am not proficient at it, so I can't offer much else in terms of help. You can try getting in touch with Jerry from Android Central. Or, you can Google for solutions.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums