Porting to Google Voice

taj7575

May 28, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys,

So I'm thinking about porting to Google Voice and switching from T-Mobile to Solavei (I need unlimited voice, and I also like having around 4GB of data, both of which Solavei provides for a cheaper price than T-MO).

Since I'm switching providers, I want to port my number to Google Voice so I can easily switch back if necessary. So I just have a few questions:

1. I know Solavei uses T-MO, but overall, is it reliable?

2. How is it being on Google Voice?

3. Is it worth porting to Google Voice?

*4. I've noticed an option that is in the Google Voice Settings that says "Receive Text Messages", and under the options it says Via the Messaging app. Does that mean that if I port to Google Voice, I will get messages sent to the stock Android messaging app?

5. Is Group Texting Supported?

Also, if there is anything else you would like to add in as a Google Voice user, please do let me know.

I know this is random, but having the Nexus 4 really tempts me to go with Google Voice, and I want to see answers from owners who have the Nexus 4, and use Google Voice on it. Thank you all!

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
1. I know Solavei uses T-MO, but overall, is it reliable?
Same service levels as t-mo prepaid.

2. How is it being on Google Voice?
Better than a regular phone number since you can access everything online as well. The only downside is lack of MMS and slight delays in making calls/sending texts when no data service is available.

3. Is it worth porting to Google Voice?
Only if you really want to keep your existing phone number.

*4. I've noticed an option that is in the Google Voice Settings that says "Receive Text Messages", and under the options it says Via the Messaging app. Does that mean that if I port to Google Voice, I will get messages sent to the stock Android messaging app?
Yes, but you can't ORIGINATE texts from the stock messaging app and have them go out under your GV number. If you REPLY to an incoming text in the stock app, the reply will go out under your GV number.

5. Is Group Texting Supported?
Nope.

Jaysus

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I had some similar questions, thanks for the reply. $20 to port to GV, right?

Also, can I have multiple GV numbers on my phone associated with different google accounts? That would be cool.

runtmms

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
So I ported my number to Google Voice and have been using Solavei since January.

Yes, it's a one time $20 to port to GV. I've had no reliability issues. A couple of things to note...

As soon as I told people I could text, they started sending MMS which GV doesn't support - so I ended up giving my new Solavei number to people who text me. That wasn't my intention when I ported. Then I found out one of my brothers is on a limited minute plan with free "mobile to mobile." I have to call him with my Solavei number because once you go through GV it's no longer a "mobile" call. Because of this, I'm not sure if I would port to GV if I had it to do over again.

Also, the Nexus 4 using GV on Solavei doesn't mask the exchange numbers that GV uses. This can lead to a cluttered looking call log. This doesn't bother me, but some people hate it. The easiest fix there is to add the exchange number to each contact.

Right now Solavei is having MMS problems with some small segment of customers - they say T-Mobile is working on it. That's just an FYI, my MMS works.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Sent from my Nexus 4 on Solavei

taj7575

May 28, 2011
Visit site
So I ported my number to Google Voice and have been using Solavei since January.

Yes, it's a one time $20 to port to GV. I've had no reliability issues. A couple of things to note...

As soon as I told people I could text, they started sending MMS which GV doesn't support - so I ended up giving my new Solavei number to people who text me. That wasn't my intention when I ported. Then I found out one of my brothers is on a limited minute plan with free "mobile to mobile." I have to call him with my Solavei number because once you go through GV it's no longer a "mobile" call. Because of this, I'm not sure if I would port to GV if I had it to do over again.

Also, the Nexus 4 using GV on Solavei doesn't mask the exchange numbers that GV uses. This can lead to a cluttered looking call log. This doesn't bother me, but some people hate it. The easiest fix there is to add the exchange number to each contact.

Right now Solavei is having MMS problems with some small segment of customers - they say T-Mobile is working on it. That's just an FYI, my MMS works.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Perfect. Thanks a lot man.

I think I'll stick for a while before I port my number to GV. There is so much potential, but still so many biting problems that keep me from doing the port.

88 FLUX

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
I ported to Google Voice almost a year ago and don't regret it for a moment. MMS functionality (which goes along with group chat) would be nice but not a showstopper for me. The convenience of Google Voice far outweighs that issue. Plus, I use both Verizon and Straight Talk and neither have the exchange number masking issue that someone else reported.

runtmms

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I just re-read my post and realized it came across overly negative. There are things I really like about GV, I just ended up uses both my GV number and my Solavei number which I hadn't anticipated.

The call quality is great. Whether incoming or outgoing I can't tell the difference between my GV number and my Solavei number. The other thing I did is buy an Obi100 VoIP bridge. I have a multi-handset Panasonic phone at home, I had been using a Bluetooth connection to it with my previous phone, and was never really happy with the call quality. I have that hooked to the obi100 and my GV number is like my home number again. (Which is what it was 12 years ago before I ported to Sprint!)

That's why I'm torn about whether I'd do the port again or not. There are aspects I really like.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34