Spilt soy sauce in front speaker now auto rotate doesn't work

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
At dinner and spilt some soy sauce in the front speaker grill not a lot. Now my auto rotate doesn't work and photosphere doesn't work. If u force rotate it works so I'm wondering if maybe the soy sauce dried and got all sticky on one of the sensors and its possible to clean off? Just looking for some thoughts or suggestions.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
If your feeling adventurous you could open up the device and take a peak and see if anything looks to be covered internally.. Otherwise you may want to exercise your warranty (if you have one) and take it in for repair. Hard to say how it would be handled. As long as the internal water strip indicators weren't harmed (triggered) they shouldn't get you for water damage or in your case soy sauce.

frenziedfemale

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
You could try cleaning it with denatured alcohol. (Rubbing alcohol I think it is caled) on a qtip. And may I suggest better table manners, no electronics at the dinner table!!! <-- that is the mom in me speaking. ;)

androidluvr2

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I'm wondering if maybe the soy sauce dried and got all sticky on one of the sensors and its possible to clean off?
Use 91% isopropyl alcohol available at the drugstore. It is only 9% water compared to the usual 70% isopropyl alcohol, which is 30% water.

It is even better if you can get 99% isopropyl alcohol. They sell it on amazon and you may be able to find it at a pharmacy.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Insurance would fix it, but if you try a warranty claim, you'll likely get busted when they find the soy sauce. I'd say you've got 3 choices:

1. Live with it
2. Buy a new device
3. Try to clean it with the alcohol/qtip method, especially if you're considering buying a new one (nothing to loose). Just be sure to power the unit down first and leave it off for maybe an hour...the alcohol should evaporate pretty quickly.

Side note: This is ultimately a result of not having/using a holster. When there is no place to put your phone besides your pocket, it too often ends up sitting on tables and in your lap where it falls (and gets broken), or you spill stuff on it. Pockets are for lint...get a holster and strap that bad boy on!

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Ya I saw the I fix it teardown so I was thinking of taking the back cover off and trying to see if I can clean it. Thanks for the suggestions guys much appreciated!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair