Please Help: "Mediaserver" is draining my battery. Solutions?

lolUmad

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
See title. Something like 60-70% of my battery is being drained by Mediaserver on a regular basis. I charge my N4 overnight, take it off the charger at 8am, by 11am its at 60% life... I had not used the phone at all!

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Have you tried rebooting it? Sometimes, any of these phones can have an app not shut down properly and cause continual drain.

Michael Morris2

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
Media Server is what accesses files on your local storage, if you're playing a lot of locally stored songs/media the battery usage from that will show up as media server.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Media Server is what accesses files on your local storage, if you're playing a lot of locally stored songs/media the battery usage from that will show up as media server.
Media server is what serves up music from streaming such as Google Music, Pandora or XM. It also increases from using Google Currents.

minnemike

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I haven't seen a problem with it since the 4.2.2 update.

If you still have issues, then I have to think there may be some sort of actual media file corruption.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I haven't seen a problem with it since the 4.2.2 update.

If you still have issues, then I have to think there may be some sort of actual media file corruption.
That sounds right. I notice it goes up a little when I use Google Music or XM but nowhere near as high as it did before the update.

DeadpoolJunior

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Media server is what serves up music from streaming such as Google Music, Pandora or XM. It also increases from using Google Currents.

Don't know how true this is. I never stream Google Music, but have had media server issues in the past. It keeps waking your phone due to a corrupted file or something. Even still, not sure how Currents relates to the media server. I mean, what if he doesn't even have it installed?

Also, I tend to disagree with any ideas that suggest turning off Google Now. One of the most essential and great features of Android, and you turn it off? Folks get great battery life without doing that so I think something else is an issue.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Don't know how true this is. I never stream Google Music, but have had media server issues in the past. It keeps waking your phone due to a corrupted file or something. Even still, not sure how Currents relates to the media server. I mean, what if he doesn't even have it installed?

Also, I tend to disagree with any ideas that suggest turning off Google Now. One of the most essential and great features of Android, and you turn it off? Folks get great battery life without doing that so I think something else is an issue.

Every one has Currents installed by default since it came installed on the phone when you got it. As soon as I disabled it, battery life improved and Media Server stayed way down in usage.

I don't find Google now useful. All it ever did was show the weather for me and eat up battery. Why do I need it? I want my battery to last for calls and music. That's what I want a phone for. What's important to me is important to me, not you. Google now does use increase usage because it is constantly using location to find where you are.

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I'd start with a simple reboot and go from there. Last step would be to factory reset the device. A battery stats app will help you pinpoint the problem (GSam comes to mind). I don't recommend bandaids like turn XYZ off. I regularly get 4-5+hrs of on screen time syncing everything (including Currents), GPS/BT alway on (as they only use power when something uses them), etc. Google Now is awesome, but sometimes a bit too much of a stalker. Once after a long day at the office, my normal ETA to home notification gave me the closest liquor store...

PS...aokp pub build/franco kernel, but you shouldn't have any problems getting 2.5 - 3+hrs bone stock with everything on.

DeadpoolJunior

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Every one has Currents installed by default since it came installed on the phone when you got it. As soon as I disabled it, battery life improved and Media Server stayed way down in usage.

I don't find Google now useful. All it ever did was show the weather for me and eat up battery. Why do I need it? I want my battery to last for calls and music. That's what I want a phone for. What's important to me is important to me, not you. Google now does use increase usage because it is constantly using location to find where you are.

Current isn't installed on custom ROMs.

The keyword in your second statement is "I". I wouldn't suggest disabling Now to anyone since only the minority feel as you feel. Majority get good life with Now. That's all I'm saying. We're talking about a media server issue anyway so I didn't understand the point of suggesting that. No offense in any of my comments by the way.

To the OP, there are a few threads about this. Typically a reboot will fix it. Others say delete all your music files. This is an issue I would like to see solved as well. Disabling Current and Now most likely won't do it for ya.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Current isn't installed on custom ROMs.

The keyword in your second statement is "I". I wouldn't suggest disabling Now to anyone since only the minority feel as you feel. Majority get good life with Now. That's all I'm saying. We're talking about a media server issue anyway so I didn't understand the point of suggesting that. No offense in any of my comments by the way.

To the OP, there are a few threads about this. Typically a reboot will fix it. Others say delete all your music files. This is an issue I would like to see solved as well. Disabling Current and Now most likely won't do it for ya.

When I had this problem, I searched on Google and everything I read said it had to so with Currents and other apps doing background syncing. I turned it off and magically, mediaserver was never a problem since then.

lolUmad

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
To everyone suggesting I reboot... do you really not think that Ive tried that?

Go into settings/apps, disable currents or open currents and disable syncing in settings. Also, turn off Google now.

Ok, but what happens if I want to use Google Play Music to play music? Am I going to have to compromise being able to listen to music on my phone for battery life?

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
To everyone suggesting I reboot... do you really not think that Ive tried that?

Ok, but what happens if I want to use Google Play Music to play music? Am I going to have to compromise being able to listen to music on my phone for battery life?
Google Music will still work just as it did before.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Right, but will using Google Music activate Mediaserver to go into its infinite loop battery drain?
No. It will cause mediaserver to increase it's usage though while you are streaming music because that's what enables you to stream. Once you stop using Goole Music, mediaserver won't increase it's usage until next time.

If you have the music stored on your phone, mediaserver won't be used at all. Stopping currents app will stop mediaserver from using up the battery while you are not doing anything since it will not constantly keep updating those magazines and news with current stories.

lolUmad

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
No. It will cause mediaserver to increase it's usage though while you are streaming music because that's what enables you to stream. Once you stop using Goole Music, mediaserver won't increase it's usage until next time.

If you have the music stored on your phone, mediaserver won't be used at all. Stopping currents app will stop mediaserver from using up the battery while you are not doing anything since it will not constantly keep updating those magazines and news with current stories.

Good stuff. So how do I disable Currents and Google Now?

DeadpoolJunior

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Good stuff. So how do I disable Currents and Google Now?

Not sure how to disable Gnow, but you should just be able to drag Currents to the top of the screen where it says App Info (after you've long pressed it) then you'll see the disable option.

frenziedfemale

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
To disable an app, go to settings>apps. Swipe until you see all on the top of the right hand column, scroll down to the app, hit disable, google now is the google search app, but I don't agree that G now is the culprit. Currents can be flakey though.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Google Now doesn't drain the battery as fast as Currents did for me but I do notice the difference with it on and off especially on my Nexus 7.

Google Now does not increase the mediaserver usage.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1