How do you stop all data transfer except wifi?

divandan

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
Here it is ? if you go on vacation and don?t want to get charged for roaming, but you do want to have the phone on in case of emergency from back home, for example, and you want to take advantage of wifi if there is one available? But definitely NO any other data transfer.
Thanks

frenziedfemale

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I use an app called connection mode toggle. Allows me to turn data off. But you would still need to make sure that roaming is not enabled in settings>more> mobile networks. The default, no check mark is no roaming I believe.

wunderbar

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
the OP wants to be able to have the phone ring, so airplane mode won't work.

Just go to settings-->data usage--> 3 dot menu--> make sure data roaming is unchecked. I've travelled many times and nave never had any data while roaming.

divandan

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
the OP wants to be able to have the phone ring, so airplane mode won't work.

Just go to settings-->data usage--> 3 dot menu--> make sure data roaming is unchecked. I've travelled many times and nave never had any data while roaming.

Thanks everyone, and yes this is exactly what I need. So, even if some apps are set to auto-synch, or have push notifications, it'll work only on wifi, right? Perfect :)

Rizy7

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
You can find many mobile data toggles.. Just switch the toggle to off and your mobile data will never be used.

wunderbar

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Thanks everyone, and yes this is exactly what I need. So, even if some apps are set to auto-synch, or have push notifications, it'll work only on wifi, right? Perfect :)

That's correct. The phone knows when you are roaming and if you telling not to use data when roaming, it won't. I spend a couple weeks every year out of country and have never paid a dime for roaming data.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

ohyeahar

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
All the solutions presented so far seem overly complicated. Isn't this the toggle the OP is looking for?

Attachments

• picsay-1363227315.jpg
    picsay-1363227315.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 7